1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting a Plasma

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Elvis, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been wondering how best to mount my 42" plasma when it comes.

I'd quite like to wall mount it, but don't want the hassle of running channels in the wall and all the attendant re-decorating. I wondered if I could fix a sheet of MDF against the wall with stud partitions behind so that the cables are hidden behind the 'false' MDF wall.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Does anyone have any advice they can offer me? My concern is that it may not be strong enough to support the screen.

Attached Files:

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe if you use 2 bits of mdf on the sides. leave a space in middle for all wires.

to transfer all the weight down the wall

Attached Files:

3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just do it right mate, the difference is incredible. I've just had my whole living room plastered for £160 after digging the channel myself with a claw hammer. I bought some £10 trunking and lips from B&Q plus the mounting bracket which I got from Richer Sounds when I bought the panel.

It's not expensive to do, but looks fantastic. Before and after pics coming soon. When you pay £3k for a screen you might as well pay another couple of hundred to show it off at its best.

You'll always regret it if you compromise mate!;)

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your Majesty, your loyal servant suggests:- He's done just what you propose for several people wh didn't want their walls hacked, and it does work, neat results in a short timespan, but as Mr dyson says, the redecorating bit is small beer compared to the cost of the gear. Your call, but it pays to do it properly. You could of course look on an MDF false wall as an interim measure until Mrs Presley decides it's time for new decor...

5. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only just got rid of all the workmen from the last bout of decorating here at graceland towers, but I suppose I ought to do it properly really...

...now, how to deal with the exceptionally high skirting board?

I think that an MDF screen could look quite good, I would make it a 'feature' rather than hide it, painting it a solid colour. It would suit our minimal clean-line sitting room quite well.

6. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    One thing to think about is if you ever sell your house. The new residents might not have a plasma to put in it's place, and be left with holes in the wall. That is of course if you're not gonna leave it behind :suicide: ! Do it right though and it looks well cool, as you can see from some of the pictures on this forum! If you're not worried about the holes left behind, no prob. IMHO the ultimate look is sunken into the wall, fireplace height. Trying to make a 42" sheet of glass subtle is no easy feat!

To be constructive, it depends how high you're going to put it. How much wood you're going to put it, how many fixings you can get in the wall etc. Screw in some metal brackets to strengthen the construction for good measure. Ask a chippie.

I've just decorated but didn't prepare for the plasma, as it wasn't on the agenda. Damn!

Be good to hear what you do!

7. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's going into a masonry wall so it should support the weight. question is will 12mm MDF supprt the plasma bracket. I agree that re-sale wise it could be a problem, but it is going ito an alcove by the fireplace, so it's only one corner that needs to be re-decorated.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Scew the battens up tight with 8 no.6x3" or some such, leaves just those holes then. You had worse when you moved in I should think. !2 mm is in the margin, but if it's 42" and you don't have pets like Michael Jackson,(sorry to reind you of your daughter) ie monkeys to swing on it, you'll be OK. BTW why would anyone want to make their plasma subtle?

Skirting board. It's not perchance hollow? Take the MDF all the way down. What will you do with your sources? Are they near? A viable option for the minimalist approach is to put them in the next room, but you have to get off your butt to put a disc in! Or stck them on some nice glass furniture underneath the screen. cables go straight into the false wall. Don't mount it at fireplace height, it's a TV not a picture!! I plan on starting a campaign for the correct mounting of plasma screens. They miraculously grow and look more impresssive at the right height.

9. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Maw, nice jibe:laugh: !

I'd make it subtle because I wouldn't want to draw too much attention to it, so that it's not the centre attraction in the room. Being honest it's gonna be like that anyway(!) but it I'd like to calm it down a bit!

As for the height, that's a personal or convenience thing. The way people sit on their sofa etc.. I like the idea of it at fireplace height because then it can be more than a telly (http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=263 ). LOL!! A £3K fishtank anyone? A £3K fire that gives no heat anyone? A £3k telly anyone?!! Lol! :rotfl:

10. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why make it subtle? because it's only a TV, I don't want it to be the centre of attraction. Our sitting room is massive, and its only going in the corner. Gonna get a mirror to hang over the fireplace, and yeah, that would be too high for the plasma anyway.

Thanks to everyone for their advice/comments. The King is grateful. and definately not dead!

11. niallsmart

niallsmart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't use MDF, if it ever gets wet your plasma is going to be on the floor. Try 1/2" baltic birch ply.

12. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it ever gets wet? what is your plasma waterproof:D

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just a possibility of over excitement, perhaps....It gets some people like that!

14. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I fully intend to hose my new plasma down every day to keep it nice and clean. Are you suggesting this would be a bad idea? :)

Obviously I'll be using a scouring pad on the screen. And bleach.

15. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I know people love their plasmas but when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was taking things a bit far.

16. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This would obviously be a bad idea as you might damage the living room carpet with the water/bleach mixture. Suggest you take it outside to hose it down, hang it up and beat it dry as you would with a wet carpet.

17. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or fit a windscreen wiper:D :D

to be controlled by a pronto remote . you can call it a screen wash for getting rid of burn in.:D

18. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a carpet in the living room, so that is not a concern. I'm not too concerned about burn in either as the room is quite cool.

Beating it dry sounds like fun though.

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You'll be crying in the chapel shortly afterwards then? Not so sure about the next line...

20. niallsmart

niallsmart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its quite possible for the MDF to get wet through, for example, a gradual leak from the floor above without the plasma itself being affected (until it falls on the floor and breaks, of course)