1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting a plasma above a Real Wood/coal Fire Should it be done?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by andycarmi, May 29, 2005.

1. andycarmi

andycarmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have done a search on the forum for answers to mounting a plasma above a fireplace and it seems a lot of people have not found any problems doing this.

What I have not been unable to find is anyone that has mounted it above a real wood/coal burning fire, which is what we would like to do. The fire place is cast iron and has a mantle over the top which sticks out about 8-10 inches from the wall. do you think it should be ok??? :confused:

Thanks Andy

2. stuartam_81

stuartam_81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would give it a bit of a test, light the fire and see how hot the wall gets and the area around where you are wanting to position the tv. i would guess that if it only goes up by a few C then it should be fine but if it goes up by a lot then you might want to consult an expert installer.

regards

3. syntax error

syntax error

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me personally I wouldnt, I think to put it a safe height would make the viewing angle rather unpleasant. It also sounds kinda risky.

I used to think I would always want my plasma on the wall, but to be honest I am a bit of a convert now to having them on a stand or unit of some kind at eye level.

Hoirses and courses of course. But I think it could be your best option as you dont want a plasma a few months down the line done in with smoke and heat damage.

You only need to give a picture hung above a fire place a wipe with a wet cloth to see the kind of gunk they pick up hung over fires.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello andycarmi

I reckon if you do a straw pole (you can add one to your thread!) - you will find the majority of folk with a Plasma over a fire also have central heating and the fire is an occasional use 'focal point' in a room not the main heat source.

Even with a big mantle your going to get a pretty filthy screen pretty quickly and the internals of the display will be none too happy either - the displays pull a lot of air through them to keep them cool.

I'd avoid putting a Display over a real fire at all costs.

Best regards

Joe

5. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NO if you have a wood-burning fireplace where the smoke will also contain creosote and other nastiness. If your fire is like this, you cannot mount the plasma over the fireplace.
    Smoke alone will kill a plasma never mind the roaring uncontrolled heat of a real wood/coal burning fire.
    In the states Custom installers do fit them but get the customer to sign a contract that says there is no guarantee or that they will not hold the installer liable for anything!

6. andycarmi

andycarmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys guys will have to measure the temp above the fireplace and on the wall. just out of interest we have central heating so the fire might only get used a couple of times a year.