1. Join Now

    AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting 32" LCD TV on chimney breast?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by tomto, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. tomto

    tomto
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2005
    Messages:
    6
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Huddersfield
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya,

    I've recently ordered a Sony 32" LCD TV, and i'm wanting to mount it on the chimney breast in my bedroom as it's opposite my bed, and basically it's the best place to put it in my room.

    I don't know why, but something in the back of my mind is telling me that I read somewhere that it's not ideal to mount a Plasma/LCD on a chimney breast for some reason or other? Is there any truth in this? I would have thought it was just standard brick, and should be ok to mount onto?

    Still, i'd rather be certain before I start drilling away and trying to mount this where I want to.:)

    Cheers

    Tom
     
  2. TCD

    TCD
    Guest

    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the only main problem with mounting on a chimney breast is if it is in use! Heat MAY do some damage! Any views people?

    I would run a chase through the wall to conceal cabling too.

    TCD
     
  3. tomto

    tomto
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2005
    Messages:
    6
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Huddersfield
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah the chimney breast isn't in use, it's totally dormant has been for years. We have gas fires on the bottom floor but they can't generate enough heat to get right up here!

    Yeah I was going to run a chase to hide the cabling, i'm a perfectionist I want everything as tidy as possible.

    Thanks, anyone else?

    Tom
     
  4. sasso62

    sasso62
    Guest

    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tomto..

    I run a fireplace showroom and get asked this question all the time.

    My answer usually is (and this is mainly for people who want to mount the LCD/Plasma above the fireplace downstairs!!) - " What would happen if you left the fire on for a few days (ie. left it on by mistake while away for a weekend) - if your confident there isn't any significant heat being transmitted upwards from the fire or through the actual chimney breast itself (an innefficient gas fire for example will produce most heat within the flue) then you may be ok, but check with your set manufacturer first.

    IMHO - upstairs you should be ok, but I swear somebody some day will come in and say they've melted their TV :eek:

    ps. any advice given is not to be taken seriously, acted upon and no responsibility is taken for the consequences of reading this post etc. etc. :lesson:
     

Share This Page

Loading...