1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mounting 32'' lcd (20kg) onto plasterboard walls

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Digitised, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ok ive ordered a 32pf9986 (cant wait) but i want to get the most out of its ambilight.
    Ive heard its almost usless when not wallmounted.

My flat has plasterboard walls approx 20-30mm thick, is it safe to fix it to these walls?

There are joists but they are very thin tin joists my builder showed me when he removed the tiles from my bathroom, (the original company that decorated bascially buttered cheap tiles to the wall. The whole wall had to come out in order to retile :thumbsdow)

They definately wouldnt be useful for supporting a TV or even a sheet of toilet paper.
    The actual plasterboard seems to be decent, and it is very soundproofing.
    Ive never heard the neighbours and theyve never heard me so that must say something.

Has anyone had any problems with it?
    And is it ok for me to go ahead and mount it?

2. F1Boy

F1Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

I reckon you should probably try to locate on (or at least near) a joist just for added security but...

If I'm hanging anything on my plasterboard walls I use these (the heavy duty metal ones NOT the nylon ones - they're c**p!). I think the thing you have to remember is that when something is hanging on a wall the force on the wall is acting in sheer.

While not exactly resistant to forces acting perpendicular to the surface plasterboard does seem fairly resistant to sheer force.

The plugs mentioned work by spreading the force (weight) over a larger area therefore reducing the pressure on a particular point in the wall.

Anyway enough of the lecture :lesson: (sorry - got a bit carried away!).

I never trust the smaller pastic type of fixings (which they call plasterboard plugs) and certainly not for anything substantial.

Just found this actually which may be even better...

Good luck,

Maybe take some pics when it's up...?

Matt

P.S. :lesson: It might say no need to drill - just screw into the wall - don't believe it - I always drill a pilot hole (only a couple of mm smaller than the plug body), they doesn't really work without one.
    If the wall is backed by brick - make sure you drill into the brick too to ensure the plug can fit all the way in...if it hits brick and you keep screwing it in it rips out the plasterboard around the thread :mad:.

3. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi thnx

tv arrived today, im gonna wait till it gets dark to make my decision on the ambilight because when its away from the wall it actually is quite visible even in daylight.

Hopefully it will be brighter in darker conditions, and additionally affect a larger area not being wall mounted. Seems silly to mount it if i can light up more area with it on its stand.

4. Oakmere

Oakmere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If the plasterboard turns out to be a bit flimsy, it may be an idea to use a thin piece of MDF, screw this to the wall using those screw in plugs, using lots of them to spread out the load, then screw the TV's bracket to the wood. This will spread out the load even more.

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Isnt there a brick wall behind the plasterboard wall or are you trying to screw into a plasterboard stud and partion wall?

Personally I would screw into the brick wall behind the plasterboard and get some heavy duty rawlplugs from homebase, but not the plasterboard ones (they are only anygood for plasterboard stud and partion walls.