Mountain Lion First Impressions

Jase Winter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So far, I really like it, seems much quicker on my 2011 iMac, iMessages so far are working great (compared to the beta) and i've just noticed you can now use back and forward gestures in the mac app store at long last!

What are your first impressions?

The backgrounds in PhotoBooth have never worked for me...until today ;)

So far so good.
Seems smoother on my early 2011 Macbook

I like the 'show all tabs' in Safari

Can't get Dictation to work. Not sure I like the new combined search and address field of Safari 6.

The OS does seem speedier though.

Can't get dictation to work here either, but on the whole I like it..

Kwozzii

Dictation was turned off for me after upgrading, maybe just a case of turning it on in preferences? It's working for me.

Can't get Dictation to work. Not sure I like the new combined search and address field of Safari 6.

The OS does seem speedier though.

I really like the combined address bar/search, was one of the main reasons I used to use chrome.

I like the notifications a lot.

And also the "continued" browsing via ios6/iCloud.

Oh and how my email messages etc are being dragged in whilst MacBook Air is asleep :) ready for business instantly when I open the lid.

I like the notifications a lot.

And also the "continued" browsing via ios6/iCloud.

Yeah, it's a shame only Mac app store apps can use the notification centre, i've got growl running still for the apps that are non MAS but would ideally like to just have the one notification solution.

Does anyone who has / uses iWeb please confirm that the application is still fully functional? It's the only thing which is stopping me from upgrading to ML.

Roaring Apps states it functions with some issues:

iWeb - RoaringApps - App compatibility and feature support for OS X & iOS

Could anyone confirm please?

I have it on my mac and it opens and seems functional, I don't actually use it though so wouldn't really know if it's working right or not but yes the app launches and you can seemingly do stuff with it.

danrich1 said:
...and why has S/W update moved to App store? I hate App Store!

I love it. Finally one location for the updates. It just doesn't make sense to go manually in various different locations.

I think its OK. Not sure why it says my name in the top right next to the time however now though?

Also, not a massive fan of the tab bars that are huge, and reduce in size the more you open. Preferred the old style of just a standard size no matter how many you had open. I can learn to love this though I guess.

Oh, but I hate the web address/search bar all in one. Hoping theres a setting or something to change that back to the old style.

Not even sure what notification centre does or how its going to enrich my life?

Just installing it now. Can't wait to try the new features out.

Dictation was turned off for me after upgrading, maybe just a case of turning it on in preferences? It's working for me.

Yeah, I knew how to turn it on prior to trying it. It has to send what you dictate to Apple and you know it is active if the small mic icon appears. Still can't get it to work and I guess that there will be quite a few people trying to use it right now. I guess the extra traffic going via Apple's servers may be why it isn't working?

...and why does it open mail.app twice now?

grrr

It did that here too, but Mail stops doing it if you quit Mail and relaunch it.

It's like Growl - it notifies you about incoming i.e. imessages, emails, ical events etc.

Ahh right thank you, doubt I'll be using iMessage. And I dont use the mail app or ical app either. I just log into the hotmail website.

OMG, as I was typing this message its doing my head in, words are like disappearing as Im typing them, the cursor is moving on but like half the word is going invisible. Then will suddenly appear or something like its auto spelling/typing words for me like predicted text!!! Is this a crappy new feature of ML and how do I turn it off?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom