• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mount 40" on plasterboard?

B

bournerj

Hello folks,

This is my first post so hello and good morning to everybody.

I have recently bought a Samsung LE40M87BDX and a mount from AVSupports. Perhaps naively, I only noticed this morning that the mount should be attached to a solid concrete wall. The wall of intention is plasterboard so you can imagine my worry/dismay! Does anybody know if the solid concrete only thing is definite?

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Rich

Grumpsimus

Established Member
Well a solid concrete would be best (if a little difficult to drill), but I am sure that a brick or blockwork wall would be perfectly adequate.

It sounds like the instructions with the AV support are designed to protect the manufacturer against claims, rather than be helpful to the customer. Most properties in this country do not have any solid concrete walls, so in theory most purchasers could never use it in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

If it has to be mounted on a plasterboard wall, it is best to find out something about the construction of the wall before starting. If it is a stud partition, the plasterboard will be nailed to substantial vertical supports (called studs). You need to find the position of the studs, either drill a series of small holes across the wall or use an electronic stud finder. Then screw a solid sheet of wood big enough to mount the AV support direct on to at least two studs, 3/4 inch ply would be suitable. Screw the AV support on to the wooden sheet and mount the TV.

Another possibility is that the plasterboard has been used to cover the rough surface of a solid wall. In this case all you need to do is make sure the fixings for the AV support are long enough to be firmly fixed into the solid wall behind the the plasterboard, with the normal wall plugs.

B

bournerj

Thanks for the quick reply. Makes sense, I thought the concrete thing might be covering themselves. It's a newish property (< 5 years) so I'm assuming it will have the studs you mentioned.

Potentially take more work than was planned but then what doesn't?!

Will be worth it when complete though :)

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom