1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moulin Rouge

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by tee, Mar 20, 2002.

1. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    This film has NEVER appealed to me before but I may have to re-think...... The (by all accounts) excelent R2 version has been reviewed by a certian member of these very forums for my site and it sounds amazing!

Check it out for yourselfs HERE

Anyone else seen it? I must say I'm temtped now..... :D

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I hated it!! Actually switched it off after 45 mins or so, I´m not really into musicals etc. Although loads of people rave about it, its not my cup of tea!!

Cleverly filmed though (what I saw of it!!) Each to their own I suppose!!

3. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    However, a musical is surely one film where you don't want the PAL speedup version...

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmmm, a gratuitous plug for your website me thinks...:rolleyes: ;)

5. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    :D :D

The review IS very good though and it honestly has made me think again about watching it...... ;)

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I'm a BIG musical fan, BUT I wasn't impressed with MR AT ALL.

It was just like one weird pop video and there wasn't enough of the actual Moulin Rouge.
    Lacked a big musical finale and set piece in the middle.

However, it was worth buying for the Lady Marmalade video clips :D

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    To be fair I have said in the review that it is a love it or hate it movie. I don't hide the fact I loved it.

It is worth a watch to get an idea of what it is like, and it helps to go in to it with an expectation to leave reality at the door.

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Evening All,

I rented this just last night, and have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Despite hearing all the rumours about the qualities (or lack thereof) of the film, I thought it was very cleverly written, superbly choreographed, and well acted by Nicole Kidman - whom I think will take the Best Actress Oscar at the Oscars on Sunday night!

Yes, the plot was wafer thin, and you knew that everything would work-out between Satine and Christian in the end, but it was one hell of an ambitious piece of film-making. Possibly the most ambitious I've seen, in a while!

The UK DVD version is well packed with extras, and the DTS soundtrack is superb. My only complaint is that the mini-films that can be played whilst you watch the film, can't be accessed via any kind of menu system. You have to actually play Tracks 3-10 (I think) of the first DVD, or watch them as they are inserted into the film itself, which is probably quite disconcerting.

However, this is certainly I film I would recommend to viewers looking for something "different"!

Pooch

9. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not my sort of film at all. Was resigned to that fact that at some point I would have to sit down for two hours with my wife and watch it.

WOW!! I've bought it, seen it (3 times), and what a piece of entertainment. I'm not a big fan of Nicole Kidman, but she is outstanding. Both Nicole and Ewan have a remarkable singing talent. The storyline is very operatic (one dimensional), but it works. Found myself quite choked!

This is clearly one of those films that you either love or hate. You need an open frame of mind to watch it, in fact after the first 10 minutes I thought 'what IS this!!'.

This is modern day opera at its best. It's daft, uplifting, funny, visually intriguing/stunning, and what music. This film is creativity with a capital C.

Well at least that's my opinion anyway.

10. danielzavitz

danielzavitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i loved it, i thought i was going to and i did. it's also nearly my favorite dts track if only there were some helicopters it might just edge it

11. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha......good effort d!

I really enjoyed it and have watch it several times now and will continue to enjoy it a little bit longer, but I do think the first half hour doesn't let you know what a great movie your in for. So if you haven't seen it yet don't switch off for the first hour and try and stick at it!