Quantcast

MOTs automatically extended for 6 months

nitram_tpr

From the BBC website:
The government has announced an automatic six-month extension for all MOTs due for cars, motorcycles and light vans from 30 March onwards. Vehicles must be kept roadworthy, and garages will remain open for repairs
Apparently this is currently going to be in force for 12 months, I would think if things get better then they'll knock it on the head.
My car is due in July, the wife's in June. I'm not worried about us driving cars that are not roadworthy as we do get things fixed when they're needed. I've not driven my car since Thursday last week, the wife is NHS so uses hers everyday.
However, I'll bet there will be a fair few cars on the road that are in a bad way. Hopefully due to the social distancing that is in place there will be a small fraction of journeys being taken.

kBm

Distinguished Member
Mine is due to today, closest appointment is 6th April if the garage is still open by then. Lots of people have MOTs due before end of March. Not the most helpful.

We are fortunate - we have 2 cars, we wont be driving the car with the expired MOT and we have just paid for another 12 months road tax.

mcbainne

Bit of a grey area saying vehicles must be kept roadworthy when the MOT is basically that check, there are many in the country who know nothing about cars, their mainenance and what would make them un-roadworthy

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Mine failed yesterday, a rotting W brace (I couldn‘t be bothered arguing that it’s actually non-structural, as many Z’s just take them off - and I have a new one on order anyway) - but it’s failed on the emissions, which is more of a concern, as there‘s no guarantee I can fix that.

I‘m just going to have to rag it for a few minutes to heat up the cats and get it straight on the machine.

My concern is that the garage closes before I can get the W brace fitted, and then I’m left with a perfectly safe, but technically undriveable car!

Oh well, bigger things to worry about!

Mine failed yesterday, a rotting W brace (I couldn‘t be bothered arguing that it’s actually non-structural, as many Z’s just take them off - and I have a new one on order anyway) - but it’s failed on the emissions, which is more of a concern, as there‘s no guarantee I can fix that.

I‘m just going to have to rag it for a few minutes to heat up the cats and get it straight on the machine.

My concern is that the garage closes before I can get the W brace fitted, and then I’m left with a perfectly safe, but technically undriveable car!

Oh well, bigger things to worry about!
A good old Italian tune up :)

Any idea what is causing it? It may be fixable yourself.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
A good old Italian tune up :)

Any idea what is causing it? It may be fixable yourself.
High Flow Cats - they are known for this. If I can’t get it through by heating them up, I’ll have to see if I can pop the originals back on temporarily. But the originals are much larger, and so are difficult to fit/remove (think 60cm extensions on sockets) - many garages won’t touch them, which means it’s down to me.

I‘ll probably be using the XC90 over the coming months to drive to/from work anyway (a 6 hour drive each way), as I can throw a mattress and sleeping bag in there to get some rest. All the hotels are shut, and I usually fly up and down, so commuting is going to be a bit of a pain!

EUarmy

My car currently doesn't have an MOT if I wait until 31st March will I'll be legally able to drive it without an MOT providing it's in a safe condition?

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
My car currently doesn't have an MOT if I wait until 31st March will I'll be legally able to drive it without an MOT providing it's in a safe condition?
No. The exemption only applies to vehicles whose MOT expire after March 31st. Yours, like mine, expired before that cutoff date, and so will need a valid MOT.

Mine just failed, and now that my wife has CV19 symptoms, I can’t leave the house to get it retested for the next couple of weeks. Not sure what’s going to happen after that, but TBH, it’s the least of our worries right now!

Why did you leave it so late? I mean surely when anyone saw this unfolding you'd be looking to do it a month early and get it added on?

EUarmy

Why did you leave it so late? I mean surely when anyone saw this unfolding you'd be looking to do it a month early and get it added on?
I don't have a garage and I'd repaired some of the body work inc doors (nothing major); but the car looked unsightly, I was waiting for warm weather so I could respray before an MOT.

Top Bottom