Motorway MPG

Trollslayer

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
With all these MPG figures, how do you work out what kind of MPG you should get with steady motoryway driving?
I may be getting a new job which will mean 80 miles a day and with my 2004 2.0 TDCi 115BHP Mondeo I can get 50-55MPG.
Thanks.

On a quite M4 I managed to get a trip computer reading of 70.2 mpg with a 170 bhp diesel. I can easily get between 60-65 mpg on sustained motorway drives with keeping roughly around the speed limit with a gentle right foot or I can get well under 50 with a heavy one.

I get over 60mpg sitting on cruise control at 'over the national speed limit', with no gentle acceleration getting there either.
I can't be bothered driving economically, I just drive normally and if the car happens to do good mpg, great. :)
50-55mpg seems about right for your car, as it's not a latest super-efficient generation engine.

Thanks guys.
I think I would need 70PMG on steady motorway driving to make it worth changing to a new car plus my Mondeo (aka the Black Panther :D ) is a good runner.
I looked at Car Shop but the way they give mileage is sneaky - the quoted MPG is for their own way of calculating it, not the usual average of urban and extra urban. They say "20 miles of country road plus 20 miles of motor way". Naturally they choose nice clear country roads.

Trollslayer said:
Thanks guys.
I think I would need 70PMG on steady motorway driving to make it worth changing to a new car plus my Mondeo (aka the Black Panther :D ) is a good runner.
I looked at Car Shop but the way they give mileage is sneaky - the quoted MPG is for their own way of calculating it, not the usual average of urban and extra urban. They say "20 miles of country road plus 20 miles of motor way". Naturally they choose nice clear country roads.

If you're only gaining 15mpg, it's going to take a long time to recoup the cost of a newer car.
Unless the Mondeo needs replacing anyway, that is.

Agreed and by then there should have been a bit of an improvement.
Also the Mondeo is a Ghia X - heated seats for those frosty mornings!

out of curiousity , who is getting better than manufacturers quoted figures ......

My wife and her A1!!

Things must have changed , people used to be able to get nowhere near manufacturers mpg claims .....

That's because manufactuers used to lie and get away with it, noone checked.

My wife and the Mondeo. Last year she went to cornwall and back and averaged over 60 mpg this year she only managed 59 but still above quoted figures.

Trollslayer said:
That's because manufactuers used to lie and get away with it, noone checked.

It's not so much lying, as using a daft system.
They're allowed to use rolling road figures, so they do.
About as realistic as guitar hero.

No, going back to the 60s and (I believe) even into the 70s manufacturers just made up figures.
For exmaple, I saw a programme about a company that refits classic cars and they showed how even new the likes of a Jaguar E type could never get close to quoted figures. There were no worse than others at the time.

Last edited:
What time of day will you be doing these 80miles as at rush hour will you get above 20mph or 25mpg ?

i can get 60 +mpg with the Leon FR tdi 150 and it is remapped also the Terraclean helped as well, but this is in 6th gear driving like Missy daisy blinkered mode on the motorway annoying everyone.

AM - good point.
This is flexi time so I can avoid the worst.

namuk said:
but this is in 6th gear driving like Missy daisy blinkered mode on the motorway annoying everyone.

This is a modern annoyance, people driving ever so gently to eek out their mpg.
I fully understand why they're doing it, but it doesn't make it any less annnoying.
Get the flip out of the way..!
This is why my car makes me smile, I don't have to drive gently to get good mpg. :)
I can thrash it like a chipperfield chimp.

With all these MPG figures, how do you work out what kind of MPG you should get with steady motoryway driving?
I may be getting a new job which will mean 80 miles a day and with my 2004 2.0 TDCi 115BHP Mondeo I can get 50-55MPG.
Thanks.

I have a Focus MKII 1.8 TDCi, and I do 105 miles per day. So it's more or less the same scenario, as you have more or less the same engine (old, 8v, noisy transit variant!).

My history over 70k miles so far is roughly as below:

At 60mph - 60-65mpg
At 70mph - 50-55mpg
At 80mph - 45-50mpg

out of curiousity , who is getting better than manufacturers quoted figures ......

I've done a trip in my diesel Focus and returned a correctly measured 69.5ish MPG (trip computer said something like 73mpg if I recall correctly). I sat at 60mph the whole way, on the inside lane - not getting in anyone's way like a middle-lane turd :smashin:

Thanks SF, that is very useful.

Thanks SF, that is very useful.

No problem.

Weirdly though, I thought the 2.0TDCi was 125bhp? I mentioned this, because even the MKI and facelift MKI Focus 1.8TDCi, was 115bhp with the Mondeo equivalent mapped slightly more powerful.

Your shape Mondeo is probably a similar weight to the MKII Focus that I have, so I would expect comparable economy (mine is 1400kg ... 200kg heavier than my old ST170 - bonkers!).

Mine is definitely a mk III 115bhp, there may newer engines that are 125.
Your 70PMH mileage matches mine.

Mine is definitely a mk III 115bhp, there may newer engines that are 125.
Your 70PMH mileage matches mine.

Jolly good :)

The later 2.0TDCi is of course, a "proper" 16v Peugeot derived effort, with a lot more grunt and similar economy (often a shade poorer). The transit-based 8v lumps are evil-sounding, but in fairness (knock wood), they seem rather bullet-proof ...

With these figures I'll keep the Mondeo until maintenace costs begin to climb and by then more efficient diesels will be available ex-lease (that is how I got this one).
It is eight years old now and 100k on the clock, if I can get another five years I will be happy.

With these figures I'll keep the Mondeo until maintenace costs begin to climb and by then more efficient diesels will be available ex-lease (that is how I got this one).
It is eight years old now and 100k on the clock, if I can get another five years I will be happy.

I've had mine for four years and put 70k on the clock (it had 10k when I had it, 16 months old). It has returned consistent MPG the whole time I've had it. Many a time I've thought about something 'quicker', but it's loaded with so many toys and features, that to get the same again will cost me a clean fortune compared to what I paid when I got it.

Realistically, I am going to run mine into the ground. It owes me nothing and has only cost me tyres, brakes and servicing (and MOT). Timing belt being done in a couple of months - this will be the biggest expenditure yet, but a required one really!

Trollslayer said:

Diesel-hybrids will be available ex-lease in a few years, they're just available now new.
Off the top of my head, Volvo/Citroen/Peugeot are offering diesel-hybrid estates now.
Some serious mpg possible there.:)

If I stay within the company car scheme next year, I'm going to look at these as they only attract something like 10% benefit in kind.
Even my very efficient 320ed attracts 15-16%.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom