1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorsports camera

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by southamptonfc, May 31, 2005.

1. southamptonfc

southamptonfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I want to buy a digital camcorder for recording motorsports (from the trackside). Please could you advise a suitable model(s) for this?

My 2 concerns are:

1: The fast panning and high speed of the cars may cause problems for a digital camcorder and produce 'jerky' videos due to the digital compression.

2: Sound is very very important to me. I want as good a quality reproduction as possible, also I need to be sure that the microphone will not distort due to the high volume of the cars - anyone who has heard an F1 car will know what I mean :)

so...

I'm looking for a camcorder that can handle really fast moving / panning scene as well as possible and one that has excellent sound reproduction.

I can spend up to about £400. Perhaps digital is not the way forwards? I have a vivo graphics card, so I can live with getting the video onto my pc that way.

Any help would be much apreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

ps, I saw the thread on snowboarding, I suppose I have similar requirements but size isn't so much of an issue for me. I am willing to carry an old big thing if thats the best thing for the job.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would buy a Sony, purely for the LANC function, you can control the camera from the tripod handle, doing pans, zooms and changing focus with one hand. A lanc controller cost aroud £30.

AF wont cope that well with fast moving subjects, especially at the far end of the zoom, so a way of controlling MF on the fly will be invaluable.

The Sony lacks manual corntol over the shutter, yo can either switch 'auto' off, to lock it a 1/50th (motion blur) or leave it to auto shutter, or if you set the AE programme mode to sports mode the camera should automatically default to a higher shutter where light allows.

The HC19 is a good starting point if you have a DVD burner on your PC, the HC22 if you don't.

Both should leave enough in your budger for a cheapish tripod and the aforementioned LANC controller.