Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Motorsports camera

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by southamptonfc, May 31, 2005.

1. southamptonfc

southamptonfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I want to buy a digital camcorder for recording motorsports (from the trackside). Please could you advise a suitable model(s) for this?

My 2 concerns are:

1: The fast panning and high speed of the cars may cause problems for a digital camcorder and produce 'jerky' videos due to the digital compression.

2: Sound is very very important to me. I want as good a quality reproduction as possible, also I need to be sure that the microphone will not distort due to the high volume of the cars - anyone who has heard an F1 car will know what I mean :)

so...

I'm looking for a camcorder that can handle really fast moving / panning scene as well as possible and one that has excellent sound reproduction.

I can spend up to about £400. Perhaps digital is not the way forwards? I have a vivo graphics card, so I can live with getting the video onto my pc that way.

Any help would be much apreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

ps, I saw the thread on snowboarding, I suppose I have similar requirements but size isn't so much of an issue for me. I am willing to carry an old big thing if thats the best thing for the job.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would buy a Sony, purely for the LANC function, you can control the camera from the tripod handle, doing pans, zooms and changing focus with one hand. A lanc controller cost aroud £30.

AF wont cope that well with fast moving subjects, especially at the far end of the zoom, so a way of controlling MF on the fly will be invaluable.

The Sony lacks manual corntol over the shutter, yo can either switch 'auto' off, to lock it a 1/50th (motion blur) or leave it to auto shutter, or if you set the AE programme mode to sports mode the camera should automatically default to a higher shutter where light allows.

The HC19 is a good starting point if you have a DVD burner on your PC, the HC22 if you don't.

Both should leave enough in your budger for a cheapish tripod and the aforementioned LANC controller.