Motorsport Photography: WEC Silverstone 2017

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at Silverstone last weekend for the World Endurance Championship and for the first time decided I'd buy a DSLR and take it with me.

I was just looking at a D3300 but ended up getting a great deal on a second hand D5500 with only 189 shutter actuations which came with an 18-55mm kit lens. As an addition I then added a 70-300mm AF-P VR lens as knew I'd be using that almost exclusively over the weekend.

For not having had the camera a week when I took these I'm really pleased with them. Saturday I threw quite a few photos away but learned a lot and got used to the camera and shooting the cars so by the Sunday the majority of photos I took came out well.

I ended up in the two days taking about 1000 photos, a couple of hundred I deleted straight away on the camera with another 300 or so not being as good as I wanted when viewed on my PC.

SniperAsh6’s albums | Flickr

Very cool. My favorites are the shots of the cars on the track coming towards where you were, less keen on the ones where they are heading away.

Very cool. My favorites are the shots of the cars on the track coming towards where you were, less keen on the ones where they are heading away.
Thank you. Probably the last few are the ones you prefer most?

With the way the event's ticketed and the length of it I got to take pictures from most grandstands and areas which was good for experimenting

Some good pictures there ash.

Btw, pick your favourite and enter it into this months competition :thumbsup:
Thanks Mark.

I'm not sure I could pick a favourite!

great shots - i know the feeling of deleting several hundred - did that at Austria F1 GP last year

great shots - i know the feeling of deleting several hundred - did that at Austria F1 GP last year
Part of the learning process so it just saved some time deleting them then instead of leafing through them later. With how difficult the hybrid cars are I can't imagine F1 is any easier (though I think LMP1 is quicker accelerating)

Some great pics amongst those, some of those cars are epic. Did you have to crop much or are these pretty much how they came out of camera?

Some great pics amongst those, some of those cars are epic. Did you have to crop much or are these pretty much how they came out of camera?
Thanks. It's such a good event.

They're the unedited JPEGs from the camera. There are a few which with some editing would be worth uploading but not many.

If you want to edit any of those on Flickr I'll happily send the RAWs.

I wouldn't mind a play

image.jpeg

Thanks. It's such a good event.

They're the unedited JPEGs from the camera. There are a few which with some editing would be worth uploading but not many.

If you want to edit any of those on Flickr I'll happily send the RAWs.
Thanks, I was more interested in getting an idea of what focal length is best for Silverstone tbh, but I'm always happy to have a play about in PP ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom