Motorola RAZR V3

Got my RazR V3 yesterday and am so far very happy with it. I've worked out how to unclutter my phone book by strategic use of categories so despite the fact it doesn't match up to the SE phonebook it's not too bad.

The PC Software is very easy to use and makes maintaining an accurate everchanging list of contacts reasonably straight forward.

Regarding the 3D phone book, I'd really like the idea of this but mine didn't come with it. I checked the FAQ on the Hellomoto site and discovered this question:-

Q:- Where do I find the 3D Phonebook on the RAZR V3?

Answer:- The 3D phonebook is a java applet and is not an integral part of the phone's software. Motorola are looking to make this available soon.

Strange that just about every review I've seen of the phone seems to have and like this feature, now we find out it's an "Extra". I wonder whether "make this available" means that we will have to purchase it?

Mark.

Guys,

Thinking of getting this phone - couple of questions please:

1) Anyone using it with a Bluetooth Headset? - is the functionality OK ?

2) Has it got a Voice Tag dialing feature from the Bluetooth Headset - and does it work OK? (had terrible problems with the Sony Ericsson K700 in that regard)

3) Does the User Interface Grow on you? - (I'm a Nokia Boy at heart - but a bit sick of the same old Noia offerings - using a 6230 at the moment)

Many thanks

Been onto the vstuff.co.uk site to get some stuff after downloading it to my computer and connecting the phone to the pc using the phone tools...............when i try to click and drag the downloads to the phone i get a message saying "Request denied by phone,unsupported media type (0x4F)"

any ideas?

dealmaker said:
Guys,

Thinking of getting this phone - couple of questions please:

1) Anyone using it with a Bluetooth Headset? - is the functionality OK ?

2) Has it got a Voice Tag dialing feature from the Bluetooth Headset - and does it work OK? (had terrible problems with the Sony Ericsson K700 in that regard)

3) Does the User Interface Grow on you? - (I'm a Nokia Boy at heart - but a bit sick of the same old Noia offerings - using a 6230 at the moment)

Many thanks

Using B/Tooth and it works very well with both my SE and Motorola headset.

It dies have voice dialling but I never use it - I do agree that the Sony's seemed to be annoying - I HAVE used voice tags on my Motorola V80 and V600 and they were ok - so I can assume the V3 is ok also.

UI isn't a problem for me per se - I've had Nokia, SE and Motorola to name a few and it's fine - it may take a little getting used to (like any change) but you shouldn't suffer totally!

Voice dialling via Jabbra250 works very nicely, I much prefer this phone to my previous T610. Interface is quite good, not as simple as Nokia but perfectly logical and learnable.

Calender/Appointments feature is excellent and will synronise with the PC software in the same way the phonebook does.

I was really nervous ordring this phone, I had my heart set on going back to Nokia next time for the user friendlyness, but I absolutely think I made the right choice in the V3, it's everything I need.

Mark.

Guys,

Thanks for the responses - I bought the phone today. Pleased with it so far. Couple of niggling issues (e.g. when using my bluetooth headset it reverts to a standard trill type ring insted of the polyphonic tune selected - Nokia's play whatever the phone is set to through the ear piece) - and I cant figure out how to use only the Phone OR the SIM memory - at the moment I have to have both so have duplicated numbers in the phonebook (normally I just use the SIM but the V3 will only allow you to store voice tags, essential for headset use, if the numbers are stored on the phone itself - unlike Nokia's where it the voice tags are held in the phone irrespective of the memory location)

How does everyone find battery life?

I charged mine up this morning (for two hours) - but it was totally dead by 8 tonight.

Similar charge in the Nokia 6230 would have seen me through two full days.

Does it just need a good overnight charge??

How's every one else doing battery wise?

Dealmaker.glad you like the phone had mine for about 5 weeks now although i don't use blue tooth,i aint had any probs with two sets of numbers!

as far as the battery goes it went flat on me the first day.........only coz ya playing with it all the time.........once the novelty has worn off is lasts two to three days........... :thumbsup:

I find that being a nokia user..physically using the v3 was harder at first but you soon get used to it!

I get about 3 to 4 days from my V3 battery and I leave it on stand-by all night as well.

Not sure if it makes any difference but first charge is always supposed to be 16hrs - which is what I did and I can't complain and it gets a fair use during the day.

Hope you're happy with yours - I know I am with mine :)

I've had my V3 for 3 weeks now and still love it.
My last phone was a Siemens S55 which has a few features I miss, such as being able to sync directly with Outlook, the countdown and top, when the phone is plugged into the computer, it's treated as a removable hard drive. No stupid software getting in the way. Made backing up the phone very easy. Oh well, guess I'll make do with the V3's software.

I really like how configurable the V3's menu layout and smart buttons are. Changing the four way button's shortcuts has really increased the speed with which I use my phone.

One thing that's annoyed me and a mate who also has a V3, playing the golf game that comes with it, I was doing really well and had almost finished it, then a couple of days ago it had reset all my stats! Have to start all over again.

It's also weird how you can't delete some of the pictures or themes on it. With only 5MB of storage, you need all the space you can get for photos and of course MP3 ring tones.
BTW, copying across the phone's USB cable is very slow, serial cable speed so MP3, even short ones, take a few minutes.

And as for the phone book, it took some time to organise, but when you set a number as the 'primary number' and then set the phonebook to display just the primary ones, it really speeds things up. Obviously you can still get to the other numbers quite easily.

Still love the phone though.

Been using the phone now for four days - really liking it - the battery (now fully charged) does as well as as my previous Nokia giving me two full days of (fairly intense) useage.

Still getting to grips with the phonebook and other features, but every one is right about the UI - simply a case of "de-nokiaing" - the Motorola system is no better or worse than Nokia - just different.

Im due for an upgrade on o2 in january and really like the look of the V3.
Couple of questions though...

I originally intended to try to get a Sharp GX30 because the camera is so highly rated - what are the pictures fron the V3 like? (besides smaller, obviously!)

Can you transfer pictures from the phone to a pc via bluetooth, or just a cable link?

Thanks guys!

Can't really compare the GX30 with the V3 - the GX30 is a megapixel camera and the V3 isn't. Then again - I'd never own a Sharp as I don't particularly rate them - but that's my opinion anyways. I didn't think the GX30 was on O2 anyway - thought they were Vodafone exclusive.

Pictures on the V3 don't appear to be able to be sent via B/T (well not that I can see) but then - as I don't take pics with it, I can't really comment beyond that.

Sadmuppet said:
Pictures on the V3 don't appear to be able to be sent via B/T (well not that I can see) but then - as I don't take pics with it, I can't really comment beyond that.

Yes they can.
You select a picture, press the menu button and scroll down to 'Copy'
If Bluetooth isn't on, you get the option of temporairly turning it on. Then you get a list of other bluetooth devices and the option to search for new ones.

Simple.
Would make a bit more sense if they'd put 'Send' or 'Copy With BT' instead of just Copy but there you go.

hello. do you guys have a problem setting up the iTAP extend option? mine only has either TAP or iTAP. in the manual it states that there should be a third option which is iTAP extend but my phone doesn't seem to have it, or i may be just missing out on some setting i should do first. help please!! one more thing, does the GPRS icon (the one which looks like three layered squares right beside the signal strength indicator) always appear on the display? i thought that icon should only appear if my GPRS is enabled but i can't seem to find the option to turn it off.. thanks to anyone who has answers!!

Mr.The.Spoon said:
Yes they can.
You select a picture, press the menu button and scroll down to 'Copy'
If Bluetooth isn't on, you get the option of temporairly turning it on. Then you get a list of other bluetooth devices and the option to search for new ones.

Simple.
Would make a bit more sense if they'd put 'Send' or 'Copy With BT' instead of just Copy but there you go.

Definitely !!! Maybe Motorola will consider that next time!

So, what is the picture quality like?
I know it's not megapixel, but how's the clarity?

hi all ,got my v3 yesterday looks cool and menu functions arent to bad.i ve also got the moto e365 and the camera on this phone seems to be alot better. on the v3 bright objects seem to totally glare in the background. i ll have to try and figure out this phonebook aswell cos the e-mail address appears below the number too.
i ve been trying to find out if anyone does unlocking for it yet but there seems to be a huge delay. if anyone knows let me know. i m also looking for phone utility software and a bluetooth dongle; any recomends? found this http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/2450.htm

Update on battery life:

Seems I'm now only getting a full working day - 8am to 7pm out of the phone - admittedly fairly heavy useage (my bill about £100 month) - and with Bluetooth switched on using my headset.

I wonder how much of a difference the blutetooth has on battery life?

I now consider the Nokia 6230 superior in battery life terms to the V3 (now based on two weeks use)

sorted light flaring a bit by setting the exposure to -2. t-mobile said they could unlock my phone for £15 but only after 1 month of usage and it could take up to 28days.

any recomends on my above questions anyone?

I am now on my second Motorola V3 (the first died - I'll come to that in a minute) and I have to say I love this phone.

I got the phone on Orange for free. I was due an upgrade and rang up Orange to see how much it would cost and was quoted £150. So I rang up Customer Services and asked to transfer my number to Vodaphone, as I could get the phone for £50 at Phones4U. At this point the woman asked me if I would consider staying with Orange if they could do me a deal on the phone. I agreed, she had a look at my account and came straight back offering to give me the phone for free. It arrived the next day.

Now on to the phone. It looks great, feels great and is really easy to use. I'm a big fan of Nokias and I was very unimpressed with the user interface on a Sony Ericsson I had a couple of years back. I decided that it would be Nokia all the way from then on, but the looks of the V3 tempted me away from Nokia and I have to say I don't regret it.

I've never been a fan of flip-phones either, but I thought I'd give the V3 a go and, again no regrets. The only thing I would say is that Motorola's predictive text takes some getting used to if you are familiar with Nokia's. The main problem is that you can't rely on options for the word you typed being in the same order each time. I find this has slowed down my texting somewhat. I definitely would have prefered T9.

Finally on to how I killed my first V3. The mini-USB port is great and I like being able to charge the phone from my computer. It means I can have my mains charger at home and top the battery up at work from my computer. But a word of warning: We build our own computers at work and the IT guy wired the front USB port into the Firewire header on the motherboard. So the first time I plugged my phone into the USB port it fried the motherboard! It also fried the charging circuit in the phone, so I was left with a dead computer and a phone that wouldn't charge.

I don't have phone insurance so I rang Orange expecting to have to pay for a replacement. However it came up as a "common fault" on there computer system so they sent a replacement phone out by courier the next evening. All free of charge.

So I think I've been pretty lucky with this phone. Given that I could have paid £150 to get an upgrade to it, it's not bad getting two of them for free! Oh and the IT guy has been told! Apparently it's not the first computer he's wired the USB to the Firewire port and last time he did it it killed someone's iPod.

This sucks, I just rung Orange to upgrade and they've been told 2-4 weeks before getting them in for upgrade.

Time to shop around I think !

pinkprobegt said:
This sucks, I just rung Orange to upgrade and they've been told 2-4 weeks before getting them in for upgrade.

Time to shop around I think !

I was in the same boat. Ended up moving to 02. Just got the phone and its pretty good. :)

Strangely enough I went with Orange again.

Same tariff, new phone number, phone cost £50 and I get the Star Wars Trilogy DVD boxset for free ! Go figure, stupid phone companies. I just cancelled my existing Orange number to start again.

right boys i need info on the bluetooth side of this phone.i have a p900 and while im happy with the phone the simple matter is bluetooth isnt the best and its just to much phone to carry around in certain situations.basically i want to know if the bluetooth connectivity os rock solid?does it connect to EVERY incoming call,does it connect to the headset EVERY time i dial a number? i ask these question`s because the p900 is 1 picky son of a bitch when it comes to bluetooth.the other night it tried connecting and indeed connected to the headset and wouldnt let me use the handset untill i had switched the BT function off :rolleyes: add to that when i found the headset down stairs it was actually switched off :suicide:

so basically i want a phone that has bluetooth which is rock solid otherwise i might as well get a 6230 and sell my p900.thanks in advance.

p.s im using a sony hbh35 headset.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom