1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorola RAZR V3

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by SteveRSF, Aug 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone know when it's out?

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I was told September 2004.

Amongst others it's on Carphone Warehouse and The Link websites to pre-register. :cool:

3. coffee break

coffee break

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I found a website today saying it is out on the 7th September... Can't find it again now though! :blush:

Simon

4. Walton Goggins

Walton Goggins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Phones 4 U shop saying end of this month.
    Taking orders with tenner deposit, price fifty quid with new contract.

Phones 4 U website says end of this month, price £129.00 with new contract.

5. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's meant to be out now on the 27 sept.

Orange will be releasing it soon.

Let me know if they are any good if/when you get one.

Chris

6. Welshman

Welshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone phone what qual of camera it uses (.3 megapixel?)
    Im told it uses mp3 ring tones, does it play mp3 because i cant find a site that says it does.

7. coffee break

coffee break

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just to let you all know. The phone was out today and I've bought mine for £49.99 from Phones4U (£40 per month contract etc....) So far I'm really pleased with it.... Sorry I haven't answered the mp3 questions but I've just got in and will have to read the manual!! :D

Simon

8. shoalin kid

shoalin kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will use mp3s as ringtones but not a player.if you can edit the song to just the chorus would be better,i cant so can only fit one song on.

9. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Coffee break is it any good then?

10. coffee break

coffee break

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, I'm really pleased with the phone so far. Battery lasts about 3 days and that includes making about an hour and a half (or more) of calls and having the bluetooth enabled (car kit). The menus are fairly easy to navigate (normally a nokia user!) and the phone is nice and quick to respond to button presses. My old nokia 6600 was very lethargic by comparison. Keypad looks great and works well but I must admit it gets dirty very easily (greasy finger marks etc...). Reception is fine, but then I never have a problem with that anyway. Most impressed with the build quality of the phone though - feels really well made and makes everything else feel really cheap! Oh, and the wow factor - left it on my desk at work and people actually notice it - never normally get that!

Hope this helps you make you mind up - just go and but one!! :smashin:

Simon

11. Myth90045

Myth90045

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my phone the other day. I was wondering if the call volume was a bit low when talking on the phone? Mine is up to 7, the highest, yet i could barely hear the other person. if anyone could let me know if that is how it is or if i am just deaf?

Thanks

:)

12. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    i gotta wait for my contract to expire at the end of nov before i can get one.

only questions i have are:

1. how fast do the menus etc respond (my 7250i is very slow) ?
    2. how good is it for texting ?
    3. how good is the phonebook and calendar.

don't use much else, just want a nice thin phone :)

13. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I got mine on Orange upgrade for $150(pounds) on Everyday 50 ($15(pounds) per month).

Menu's seem pretty fast.
    I find it good for txting, better than the origional SPV and Nokia 8310. Buttons are really impressive considering how flat they are.
    Phonebook is not as good as the SPV, i've only used the one phonebook so far, apparently there are two.
    Not used the caalender.

I chose this phone over the SPV C-500 and the Nokia 8910i.
    I'm pretty sure I made the right decision.

Only problem at the moment is transfuring all my numbers from Outlook (which the SPV sync's with) which can only transfur into the V3 software using .csv (comma's sepperating values) files. But it doesn't come out too well on the V3 (missing numnbers etc).

Chris

14. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Thanks for the info :)

Just gotta wait till end of Nov now...

15. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No problem.

I read a few reviews of this phone on the internet before I bought it. Either they wern't very accurate or it was a pre-release of the phone. It doesn't have the '3D phone book' but it does display the callers picture on the external screen.

16. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    I noticed this too, alot of people kept mentioning they had a pre-production version, but even then the reviews seem to be mostly positive !

17. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah i had a v3 last week...........it's an amazing phone although the software that comes with doesn't really work and i'm a bit disapointed that it doesn't take video............i missed read that it can download video but not actually take it!
    :mad:
    build quality is suberb and the funtions are faster than my 7250 the screen is good to but the front screen is quite small

And am having trouble downloading mp3 ringtones to it............anyone got a good site for this?

All in all quiet chuffed with it

18. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    well i'm not bothered about the video anyways....damn it i have no patience and need to wait a month so i don't pay an upgrade fee for upgrading early :(

19. Dem

Dem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post from me, so Hi to all !!!!

I got my V3 yesterday and was impressed with it from a styling point of view. However, being an Ericsson boy at heart (T28, T68, Z600), I was immediately disappointed by the graphics. Can't explain what it is, but the icons just aren't as nice. However, most frustrating things are as follows;

1) Bluetooth. The V3 will not search and find other devices. It will only allow itself to be found. This was OK when my old Z600 found the V3 and sent it my old photos and address book. However, I cannot now get the V3 to 'find' my girlfriend's V500 to send items via bluetooth. Likewise, being a Motorola, her phone will not 'find' mine. With the Z600, you could simply send items like pictures via bluetooth with no problem at all. I even tried with my IPAQ. The IPAQ found the V3 and sent a picture to it. However, trying the other way around just would not work! I think this is a serious problem and one which is not just confined to the V3, but other Motorola phones.

2) The address book on Motorola phones is a long list where you see the same name several times if you have multiple numbers. The Sony-Ericsson system is far more efficient, displaying the name once, and a sub-menu containing all the related numbers. I've heard rumours about a 3D phone book, but have no idea what that is!

3) MP3 recording. No function to record sounds which was a bit of a surprise.

4) No video recording, but I can live without that!

Other than that, I love it, but the bluetooth function and address book inefficiency are major gripes for me!

But don't let me put anyone off!

20. mrmidwakh

mrmidwakh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody, well i've just signed up and become a memeber so firstly, hey everyone! :p

I bought a motorola V3 on friday, was impressed with a 100% wow factor as soon as i started opening the aluminium casing. Saw and touched the phone, was blown away. Its gorgeous. Plain, simple and seriously sexy. Now, the bad:

Turned it on, played around with the features and the OS isnt *THE* most initiutive but its solid, stable and relatively quick. The battery life is very good but one thing i've now come to realize after reading RAMPAGE's post is that i also have the "pre-production" version. Mine doesnt seem to have phonebook 3D, Aol instant messenger and a few other applications. I want to know if anybody in the same situation has done something about this i.e. upgraded the fone? Im not sure but it really annoys me that i dont have all the applications :thumbsdow . Any suggestions? And could some who has the V3 or Moto V600 kindly post some wap settings (orange)? Thanks :thumbsup:

21. Steve Rollings

Steve Rollings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mrmidwakh

1. Go to the www.hellomoto.com site
    2. Select appropriate country
    3. Go to Operator setting (bottom right picture).
    4. You will get a new screen asking for an e-mail address (not important as it is not used for setting), and then select 'operator settings' from the drop-down.
    5. Click on the blue operator settings.
    6. Another window comes ups , it will walk you thru the setting for each option (WAP,E-Mail,MMS and Internet)
    7. Each is sent via a text and it gives u a pin number so the SIM update can take place.

It is better to do one at a time.

Steve

22. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone know how the motomixer works?

23. mrmidwakh

mrmidwakh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol thanks steve, got the settings from hellomoto... :smoke: Know anywhere i could get skins for the V3? Any skinning applications for it out there?

24. Neff

Neff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go into the photo gallery, select the picture and click the menu button - use the Move or Copy commands and you get an option of using Bluetooth - which will look for devices.
    Go into the phonebook set up and select picture view (it doesn't matter if you have contact pictures or not). then all numbers for the same name are grouped together and you can move up and down the list with the uop down arrows and pick types of numbers with left right. I'm an ex T610-er and I do agree the SE phone book is nicer.

There aren't any user skins yet as far as I know - but there are starting to be some programs that could produce them.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=481631&highlight=+razr

25. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I ordered a V3 yesterday but then had a chance to play on a V3 a pal had bought afterwards and am now wondering whether I've made the right choice?

I tried what Neff suggested grouping the numbers together, but because I have at least 3 numbers (Home, Office & Mobile) for 100's of business contacts the phone book is going to look very cluttered isn't it?

I know all interfaces seem strange & cumbersome at first, but does the V3 seem more intuitive once you get used to it's layout?

Are there any reasonably heavy V3 users that are comfortable with the way the phone book works? I'm wondering why you can set a "Default" number option for each contact when it'll display all numbers separately anyway and with no obviously priority to the default number in the list?

Basically...How easy is the V3 to use in everyday life? Looking up people's numbers and ringing them? Adding/Editing Contacts etc.?

I could send this one back unopened and get a 6230 for now, but would appreciate some comments from V3 owners before I open the box.

Cheers,

Mark.

26. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Got my RazR V3 yesterday and am so far very happy with it. I've worked out how to unclutter my phone book by strategic use of categories so despite the fact it doesn't match up to the SE phonebook it's not too bad.

The PC Software is very easy to use and makes maintaining an accurate everchanging list of contacts reasonably straight forward.

Regarding the 3D phone book, I'd really like the idea of this but mine didn't come with it. I checked the FAQ on the Hellomoto site and discovered this question:-

Q:- Where do I find the 3D Phonebook on the RAZR V3?

Answer:- The 3D phonebook is a java applet and is not an integral part of the phone's software. Motorola are looking to make this available soon.

Strange that just about every review I've seen of the phone seems to have and like this feature, now we find out it's an "Extra". I wonder whether "make this available" means that we will have to purchase it?

Mark.

27. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

Thinking of getting this phone - couple of questions please:

1) Anyone using it with a Bluetooth Headset? - is the functionality OK ?

2) Has it got a Voice Tag dialing feature from the Bluetooth Headset - and does it work OK? (had terrible problems with the Sony Ericsson K700 in that regard)

3) Does the User Interface Grow on you? - (I'm a Nokia Boy at heart - but a bit sick of the same old Noia offerings - using a 6230 at the moment)

Many thanks

28. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Been onto the vstuff.co.uk site to get some stuff after downloading it to my computer and connecting the phone to the pc using the phone tools...............when i try to click and drag the downloads to the phone i get a message saying "Request denied by phone,unsupported media type (0x4F)"

any ideas?

29. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi all, does this phone have a calender or diary type features?
    Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

30. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Using B/Tooth and it works very well with both my SE and Motorola headset.

It dies have voice dialling but I never use it - I do agree that the Sony's seemed to be annoying - I HAVE used voice tags on my Motorola V80 and V600 and they were ok - so I can assume the V3 is ok also.

UI isn't a problem for me per se - I've had Nokia, SE and Motorola to name a few and it's fine - it may take a little getting used to (like any change) but you shouldn't suffer totally!