1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorola DVi5000 problem

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Zacabeb, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My cable provider (UPC Sweden) uses the Motorola DVi5000 for an STC and I have some problems with the video. The TV I use is a Philips 32PW9616.

First of all, the white level is too low compared to other sources I have connected via RGB. I have found that part of the image near the top and bottom (The 10 outermost pixels of the active area) is brighter. Also, color appears oversaturated in dark and desaturated in bright areas.

My assumption is that the developers of the user interface accidentally overlayed a black pane (with low translucency) and forgot to remove it in the release version. I have contacted UPC about this, although I do not expect them to do anything about it. Most people probably don't complain, for the simple reason most people have contrast and saturation maxed out and wouldn't know the difference.

But there is one more problem and it's weird. Color is shifted to the right a bit (by say, 300ns) - it does not just bleed as expected from subsampling, it's actually shifted - even through RGB. It even does so in the GUI. I suspect it might be caused by the TV not being happy with the signal, since conversion from RGB to YUV in the TV is done in the analog domain and could be affected by off-standard signals.

Given that the STC is designed in the U.S., configuring it to comply with them there PAL-standards us wacky Europeans use is probably done by a trained chimp, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was Motorola's fault and not UPC's.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with an STC, whether a Motorola or other brand?

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. I'm not proud. I'll be the first to show my ignorance.

What's an "STC" ?

In my day it referred to the company "Standard Cables and Telephone".

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    STC means Set Top Computer. It's like a combination of a DVB receiver and web TV box, basically a DVB receiver with some additional processing power and memory.