Motorola A780

JCHAMMER

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've just got an A780 on T-Mobile and I'm having problems with no GPS signal in the north London area.
On a trip from Essex to Enfield on the M25 I lost signal from the M11 onwards, and further trips to Harlow and Edmonton again left the "determining current position" message displayed until I started to make my way back.
As the GPS reciever is built into the phone I am veering towards this being the problem rather than Copilot.
At the moment both Motorola and ALK (the maker of Copilot) are blaming each other.
Does anyone know if this is a phone problem and if I exchange the handset will I just end up in the same position as now?
Thanks,
JC.

Thanks, I've just posted the on the forum there, hopefully someone will have an answer to this,
Cheers,
JC.

Since posting Motorola have told me to exchange the phone, which I have done.
Since doing this the new phone has been noticably slower, with a "no sim" box popping up every now and again.
Today I could not get the phone to send or recieve calls and have taken out the sim card to put in my old phone, which works fine.
Having bought this for the sat nav only I wonder if it's worth sticking with?

Here's an e-mail I recieved from ALK,
"Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it
within the next 21 days.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
North London GPS Blackout

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Priyakant) - 22/03/2006 09.43 AM
Dear John,

Thank you for contacting CoPilot Technical Support.

Please accept our apologies for not responding to you earlier.

The problem you are experiencing is a known issue with the version of CoPilot you are running in the ROM of the A780.

To resolve this issue, you will need to have the latest ROM build of the A780 flashed to your phone and this will require you
sending this into a Motorola Service Center and cannot be performed by the end user.

If you would like to have your phone updated to the latest firmware, can you please send it to the following address. We would
strongly suggest you send it insured for the total cost of the phone as ALK Technologies Ltd and Motorola cannot be held responsible
for any package you send that goes missing before it reaches the destination. We would usually suggest sending via Royal Mail
Special Delivery as this insures the cost of the phone and provides you with online tracking so you can see when it arrives at the
Motorola Service Center.

The Motorola Service Center that deals with this request is as follows:-
F.A.O John White
S.B.E.
Beaver Industrial Estate
Ashford
Kent
TN23 7SH

Tel: +44 1233 619 320

Please enclose a note with your name and address requesting that your phone is upgraded to the following Motorola A780 software
version: R52_G_0D.76.A1R_0D.C0.B1P

Please note that any data stored in your phone memory (such as photos, contacts in the phone, text messages, mp3 files etc) will be
lost in the upgrade process.

If you have any further questions, or feel that this incident has not been resolved to your satisfaction, please do not hesitate to
bring this to our attention.

Regards,

CoPilot European Technical Support
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 020 7404 4222"

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.
JC.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom