Motorized Projection Screen is not stopping when it is rolled up and is making noises. It does manually stop with the remote, but not automatically.

ark216

Novice Member
Hello Everyone,
I have recently come across this issue where when i press the UP button on my PJ Screen remote it rolls the screen all the way up but does not stop hence making noises. It does stop manually with the remote but not automatically. The issur is only when the screen goes up and ot works fine for down.The screen is your average run-of-the-mill Chinese screen that i purchased around 7-8 months ago. I contacted my vendor and he did not give me a satisfactory solution (huge charges for the repair/maintenance with no guarantees).
Unfortunately I am not super skilled with electronics. But i am willing to give it a shot if the issue can be resolved without much hassle. Would love to have guidance /suggestions from you people.

Regards.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Most screens have a screw point (which can be located anywhere around the motor (this can be in impossible places to see to and only see-able with the screen down)) which for stopping the screen on both an upwards and downwards motion. Sometimes this can be hard to find, but I suspect that the screw stop (if it has one) has been set incorrectly on the retraction stroke. You have to be careful though as playing around with these screws can cause the stop to pass points which could unravel the screen fully on the downward stoke whereas you are experiencing it could carry one winding the screen to tight causing other issues long term

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
In some instances the screw can be almost impossible to see depending upon how the motor has been fitted and you need a mechanics hand. You are not on your own struggling. If you drop the screen and look both sides of the screen fabric with a torch through the slot around the motor area, you might find it.

Like I've said, you have to be so careful as its so easy to get it wrong and the worst scenario is the screen fabric could fall to the floor if its turned the wrong way or if there are two screws and you pick the wrong one (so be warned as you do this at your own risk)

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
On the few screens I've had they've all been very simular with 2 hex screws located within the screen houseing, one adjusts the lower stop and the other the top stop a bit like below :-

scr.JPG

If you lower the screen and adjust the one you think is the lower limit with an approrpiate allen key (or whatever tool yours needs) by 2 or 3 clicks, that will confirm if the one you've picked was the lower or upper. Once you've worked this out, put it back to where it was by reversing the 2-3 clicks then start on adjusting the one that controls the upper limit. Mine used to chug up or down a little bit with each click..

ark216

Novice Member
Guys I found the screen's instruction manual. Which tool (tool name) and size of the tool can be used to turn this "screw"? Can this be done without the need to open the screen housing?
20210818_151831.jpg

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
That's great that you've found the info. As I mentioned, they can be very difficult to get to, but you can usually access them with the screen down. Remember, it may rotate on the shaft as the screen drops, so it might be that you have to drop the screen a tiny bit at a time and have a look up into the casing where the screen comes out

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Guys I found the screen's instruction manual. Which tool (tool name) and size of the tool can be used to turn this "screw"? Can this be done without the need to open the screen housing?
View attachment 1557107
That's it, looks like the tool, if like the one I had, would be a plastic long allen key type thing

ark216

Novice Member
Thanks guys. I managed to fix my problem I just used the Ellen key to set the "screw" for the upward motion. Didn't, need to open the screen housing.
Thanks one again!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom