1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorized DIY screen

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by rserroyen, Mar 3, 2003.

1. rserroyen

rserroyen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do someone made DIY motorized screen ??

I found this http://chane.free.fr/masque.html but what about switch to automaticaly stop rotation in top and botom

Thanks for your help :clap:

Rud:hiya:

2. wookieman

wookieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Running the link through google translator he hasn't bothered with a lower limit switch, just controls the varible mask by hand. He has however used a microswitch as the top limit to stop it getting lifted too high.

I'm planning on doing something similar, to make a motorized screen rather than varible masking.

I can't believe the prices for a 'lecy screen. You can buy a basic roller screen for around 150quid but a motorized starts at 400plus, 250quid for a motor??? :eek: Maplin sell geared motors starting from £9.99. I'm gonna buy some proper screen material since the concensus is it is worth the money, and then make the roller/electrics myself. Like our french friend I'm gonna use a geared down motor but plan on using opto electronics as a lower limit switch. If anyone's interested I'll post more details.

3. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I've got an electric screen that I no longer use. From memory it measures approximately 6' across the diagonal and is masked to a 16:9 format. It also has an additional 2' of black drop at the top of the screen and this provides for more flexibility during installation. It has adjustable stop positions. If you are interested in buying this one then I can provide you with the full details. Please let me know?

Regards,

Steve

PS If you are considering making your own electric screen then you must look at Somfy electric motors. Somfy cylindrical motors are used in just about all electric screens and even electric blinds. The screen I described above and also my Stewart screen both use a Somfy motor.

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi wookieman
    yes can you let us know how you get on. might try it myself :)
    how about using a battery drill motor + gearbox

5. TimmyB

TimmyB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good idea on using an battery electric drill Gatekeeper.

I recently used a cordless drill / scrwdriver to motorise a home made screen - on the one I used - a Black and Decker HP9096 (see attached picture) the bit with the motor and gearbox swivels and is essentially a seperate unit to the handle containing the battery and control gear. I attached the motor unit to the screen and after extening the cable to the motor - use the handle as a remote controller.

This does work well - the only problem with it is as the motor is directly driving the screen roller - it is still a little fast, even with a variable speed drill - particularly lowering. I might change it to some kind of belt drive - to gear it down a little further - but overall I am happy with it.

Attached Files: