• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Motorised Options

asibley

Established Member
Hi,

I am looking at getting rid of my Sky+ in favour of the Humax foxsat pvr, if I can get hold of one. Ideally I'd like a some football, some premiership games, champions league etc. I would be willing to pay for a euro subscription card (and cam) if I could pick up the channels in the FTA mode of the foxsat.

My questions are :

1) With a standard sky minidish, zone1, is there any euro sub channels I can pickup what will give me some footy not provided by sky (presumably Astra 2 & Eurobird)

2) If not, would I be looking at a motorised setup in order to pickup EUTELSAT or HOTBIRD 6/7A/8. Do these have euro sub channels that are worth getting? Would I need a bigger dish, say 85cm to pickup anything worthwhile. I am based in Leeds, UK.

3) Does the Humax Foxsat support a motorized setup. Are there any limitations with it.

Sorry for all the newbie questions but venturing into the unknow world of euro satellite for the first time.

Cheers,

arthurdentpc

Established Member
The first place to look is LJ's TV Sports site *** L.J.s LIVE Sport on Satellite TV. Live Soccer on TV. Live Football on Saetllite TV.

You can see what games are on and what channels are showing them. If you hover over the channel name you'll see a list of all satellites and frequencies for that channel. You'll notice though that most channels are listed in blue, which means they require some sort of subscription (;)). There a few on FTA channels though, such as the Liverpool - Everton cup tie on Sunday, which is free on German DSF :smashin:

Last edited:

asibley

Established Member
Nice one. Really good site. Gives me a better idea of what satellites I need to aim for. I think a motorised dish is what is called for.

Anyone with any experience of motors with the Humax Foxsat PVR?

SNA

Standard Member
I'd be interested in the reply to this. I was looking at a Motorised setup for HD & SD. Potentially using the dreambox, although I have to admit I want to watch TV rather than play with the box and from what I have heard they are not 'quite' plug and play.

asibley

Established Member
Yeh, I think the foxsat pvr ticks all the boxes in terms of ease of use, freesat and its EPG should keep the girlfriend happy. If I can tinker in non-freesat mode and get myself a bit of footy, I'll be well pleased.

dickvenn

Established Member
Hi,

3) Does the Humax Foxsat support a motorized setup. Are there any limitations with it.

Sorry for all the newbie questions but venturing into the unknow world of euro satellite for the first time.

Cheers,

Yes, I have just bought a Foxsat HDR and set it up with my motorised dish, and it works very well, needs a bit of reading through this site but it's fine. You have to access a hidden menu (see elsewhere on this site for details) to get to the antenna setup. I think (but am not yet sure) that you can then only use one LNB which means you're limited to what you can watch when recording: on Astra 28.2 eg if recording BBC1 or BBC HD you can watch some ITV channels but many are greyed out.

I have mine set currently to just two satellites, Astra 28.2 for freesat and Hotbird 13.0E for Italian TV (no, really!).

hope this helps - D

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom