Question Motorised Dish and Technomate TM-5402 HD CI Super+

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by GrahamWebb, Jan 24, 2018.

1. GrahamWebb

GrahamWebb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi I saw a technomate TM-5402 HD CI Super+ on ebay for £38 including shipping and bit the bullet and bought it now before realising it was not one of the M3 models I have been looking at recently with a view to getting started with a motorised dish. Will that box be ok to start with is the M3 much better I am not really interested in IPTV going over my broadband I just want to see what satellites and channels I can get also I will keep my sky dish and foxsat as well.

I have a south facing side wall to my house with no obstructions within 60 degree arc when looking at due south with a compass. The house faces mainly west and is the last house in the row so the south is pretty clear. Also my existing sky mini dish is connected to my Foxsat HDR and that dish is fitted low enough to tinker with using a pair of steps on the east facing wall. I am considering buying a decentish (about £130) 1m motorised dish kit and fitting it myself to the south facing wall at a height of about 7 foot so I can tinker with it without needing a ladder just a pair of steps.

A kit like this perhaps:

1m Superior Motorised Dish Pack Dark Motor 500mm Mount Cable LNB 100cm

On reflection a professional install will be a bit out of my budget at the moment and if this is to be just as a hobby I would rather fit it myself if I dont have to work at height. I think the position where I want to fit the dish is either brick or those white blocks but I am not sure because it is rendered over but in the attic I can see white blocks on the inside. I can always go a little lower and mount the bracket into the bricks other than the mystery blocks but it won't look as tidy.

I have attached a couple of pics of the sky south of where the dish will go and the position where I intend to put the dish. Oh one other thing, if I run the cable along that wall it will have to cross the armoured feed into the electricity meter at one point at a 90 degree angle will that be very bad the sky cables go around the other side of the house where there is no power cable. Any comments suggestions would be welcome cheers. :)

DSCF1217.JPG
    DSCF1218.JPG

2. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,085
    The 5402 M1 & M2 receivers were very good and are still held in high regard and used daily. The M3 is faster and has high res menus/ iptv / it's tripple record includes 2 x sat + 1× iptv or stream recording whereas the m1/2 were tripple sat record.
    Several other things the M3 can do but not the m1/2 due to processor limitations but otherwise still good.

The dish kit .. lots I could say..

You could go on the wall but that needs brackets and pole install .. and definitely decent gear

3. GrahamWebb

GrahamWebb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi that sounds good regarding the box, I am not really Interested in iptv and streaming through the receiver just the satellite. Are up to date channel lists available for the older box? By brackets and pole I take it you mean the type where its like a separate aluminum pole like a scaffold pole with two brackets holding it. Are the integral L shaped mounts that come with the kits just not strong enough?

I have seen heavy duty 50mm L shaped wall mounts with a big wall plate with 6 bolt holes that say they can take up to a 1.3m dish.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2018
  4. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,085
    Some manufacturers make stronger L brackets but there's lots of weaker ones, you have to know what you are buying otherwise it will cruse cheap pipe before you tightened up and be forever servicing get it. The dish is cheap heavy and not the best bracket design for making a solid, accurate job.

I've installed a lot off lower solid walls to avoid fixing on cladding and render, but it takes even better brackets.

purplesat satellite channel lists will load in the M1 & M2 5402s as well .. you should be able to download direct from ... menu / entertainment TMonline or off purplesat downloads page

5. GrahamWebb

GrahamWebb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Pedro thanks I think I will make up my own kit separately. I have seen some heavy duty wall mounts on satellite superstore as well as the bracket and pole mounts but those are very expensive and I think may stand out more. I have seen a really heavy duty wall or floor mount going cheap on ebay with a 10 inch wall plate but the standoff is over 2ft on it so will look a bit stupid. I want to keep standoff to a minimum the 50mm heavy duty bracket I have seen has a 480mm standoff but I think I could go for less than that.
    dish.PNG

I found a bad picture of our old dish from the early 90s that one was mounted using pole and brackets but looks bigger than 1m and was pretty high but the stand off does not look that much and it looks tidy. I remember it cost a fortune and the guy was really put out when my mum insisted it went above the gutter when he turned up ringing back to the office etc. I think there was a hold up as they had to source the pole which they said was aluminum and you couldnt just use scaffold pole incase it falls on someone.

6. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,085
    We mostly use galvanised steel 3-4mm upwards .. but you can use ali.. depends on the alloy characteristics (as it does steel) thin soft versus thicker higher tensile and spring steel .. there's quite a range of characteristics

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  7. GrahamWebb

GrahamWebb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I ended up buying this one as it looks good and strong even though it has a big standoff it won't look so bad from a distance I dont think.

Very Heavy Duty Satellite Dish Wall or Patio Mount (dependent on assembly) | eBay

I think my first job will be to get that mount installed to the wall good plumb and level and then I will start looking at dishes and motors. I will probably go for a 1m aluminum dish and technomate motor but will need to look into it more. This way I can just blunder my way through over the next few weeks until I muddle a working system together but will most likely end up with a better setup than if I had gone for a kit.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  8. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,085
    Keep your eye on clearance as it turns, exact due south needs the least standoff but that reduces quite quickly if a wall is se or sw plus you should allow for wind to blow through, it's not good practice to go too close if you can avoid it re wind pressure etc.

9. GrahamWebb

GrahamWebb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well that mount the I have bought off ebay sticks out over 2ft so if anything I thought the standoff would be more than I need, it looks really heavy duty with the main arm of it 75mm in the listing it says it was custom made from very heavy gauge steel and galvinised. I took a tape outside and imagined the dish on the mount and held the tape out 1m and kind of turned it and it looks like it will have to turn a long way west before it hits the wall.

10. GrahamWebb

GrahamWebb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  11. GrahamWebb

GrahamWebb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I have the dish and the bracket, some cable and my thunderbolts so all good to go. I am going to set the motor elevation and dish declination before I put it up as there is a lattitude scale on the motor. I dont think it will need changing too much I had to take the dish face off to get it in the car but it will bolt back on.

The bracket is really heavy duty and the pole part of it is detachable and held on by a couple of m10 stainless bolts. That is a good for me, I think if there is a massive storm or a hurricane forecast I can just disconnect the feed to the motor and undo those two bolts and take the whole dish off the bracket. :)

I am still waiting on the technomate but first of all I am going to fit the bracket and run the cable. I have a basic idea of how to set it up from reading a few guides so hopefully it wont be too bad especially with the dish low enough to tinker with off a step up. Once the receiver comes I can connect it to the motor to power it and drive it back to zero and press the reset button.

DSCF1221.JPG

12. GrahamWebb

GrahamWebb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I have the bracket up just needs a bit of more levelling to get it plumb but need a bigger pair of steps for that as the angle finder is just too high to read properly. I used 4 m8 60mm thunderbolts as recommended but I am thinking I might fix a stainless steel eye plate a couple of foot above the bracket and then get some stainless steel chain and shackles to act as a safety chain just in case. It seems good and solid but I am a bit belt and braces and dont want a satellite dish on my head! There is a 10mm hole going through the pole where I can mount an eyelet as well.

DSCF1235.JPG

DSCF1234.JPG

13. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    I'm not an installer but that bracket would worry me. Surely the two piece design is an unnecessary weak point?

14. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,085

I wish a certain satellite installation company had.. I think I've just been on yet another of their disaster installs where it's resulted in a dish being blown over causing damage. . God knows how many more, they've used the same arrangement of heavy but wobbly concrete blocks on each (flat roof ) job..

If you do use cables, keep an eye on the level and that they don't get in the way of the dish as it turns.

That bracket should be OK on a decent solid wall but only you know how solid that wall is after drilling, that's the best way to decide if more is needed, it's effectively destructive testing... even exposed brickwork is difficult to tell 100% how good it is... the SDS tells you a lot at that point.

15. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,085
    It is but they are pretty solid, one of the better ones, thicker steel / heavy galvanised, the fact that it turns into a patio mount or L bracket was the main idea & has 2" or 3" last pole bit thingies, I've beefed the 3" versions up before now.

16. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Great info from Pedro, as usual - just a thought tho. I upgraded my 5402M3 to their TM Twin 4K, which you may want to consider. Good machine, as are all TM products, from my experience. Not a huge number of 4K channels as yet, but a bit future proof. ( just wish I could decode NRK. Hate encryption..! )

17. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    Is that because you don't like paying for the content????:laugh:

18. GrahamWebb

GrahamWebb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks I think I am going to reinforce it at least with a chain above just tensioned slightly with a turnbuckle thing. I dont thing I will put them either side as well. The wall is concrete blocks and they seem pretty solid tomorrow I have good weather so may try mounting the dish. The reciever has arrived but the fan sounds like a jet turbine so I will want to replace that ;)

19. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I would be happy to pay a sub. to get NRK, but it's not available, unless someone knows different...(It's on 5 Deg.East, btw.)

20. GrahamWebb

GrahamWebb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I got the dish up today just needed a hand getting it up onto the pole. I setup the technomate outside with an old computer monitor connected via hdmi. I am not 100% that I set the declination angle correctly as had a bit of trouble. After setting the dish to point south and setting the technomate to Thor 1.0W I couldnt get a signal on Thor at all. Moving the motor around on the pole I could get 28e and Sirius 5e and couldnt get Hotbird. I re-read the manual and tried setting the declination dish angle to 30 degrees but then couldnt get anything. I then played about with the declination a bit more and set it to about 24 and noticed while the dish was driving to 1.0 West it hit a bit of signal just before it got there. I nudged the dish east a couple of times with the fine movement and locked onto the signal I think it was Thor as I scanned the channels and it found various Kanal and Nord channels all encrypted. I think the motor must have been pointing a bit too far to the west instead of south.

Its been freezing today and I have a bad cold so I have called it a day for now but I think I am making progress. :)

DSCF1238.JPG DSCF1239.JPG

21. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,785
    That's not bad progress - on a very cold day and with a bad cold!
    Most people would prefer a pair of slippers by the fireside.

22. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Good on yer! ( BTW, Lyngsat has all the channel info, just in case you were not already aware. ) Keep us posted here, if you want to.

23. GrahamWebb

GrahamWebb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers I think it needs some more adjusting to get a better signal on 1W. The instructions for setting the declination angle in the motor instructions dont make much sense to me so will have to tinker more and watch the signal quality. :)

24. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,085
    Welcome to the glamorous world of satellite installations, you should try 12mts up, freezing, wind swept & if you're really lucky, raining or snowing & right over a boiler flue (pretty much last one I did except the rain held off, but the wind didn't ). I'd keep the boiler off while you're up there btw

The elevation angle looks ok, although I can't zoom in that clearly, it looks about where it should be as it's a classic mistake to get the elevation angle swaped with the latitude on those particular motors.

Welcome to motorised satellite

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  25. GrahamWebb

GrahamWebb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The glamorous world of satellite installations :)

Nope just fitting my one has been enough for me I wouldnt fancy manouvering a big dish from the top a a ladder with the wind catching it. Cheers for the advice. :)

SES ASTRA Promo 1996

26. GrahamWebb

GrahamWebb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I reset everything back to factory and started the setup again twiggling the dish until I got about 87% signal quality on Thor. I realised I had made the mistake of having the box set to DiSEqC 1.2 instead of USALS and once I changed that it let me put in my coordinates and then everything started working alot better. I found I was having problems as all the satellites were a few degrees out until I did that. The arc is pretty good and I am getting alot of satellites, I have got stuff on 45e and 45w I tried further but got nothing the dish almost looked like it was pointing down so I am not surprised and there are houses to the east that might be blocking, not tried further west yet.

I think this TM-5402 M1 box is a bit out of date, some of the satellites that Pedros site says I should be able to get dont even exist in the list on my box and I cant see a way to add them. I am tempted to buy an M3 box and put the M1 back on ebay but maybe I just need to update the firmware and put patches on. I have read about a thing called PhantomPatch, what does that do or should I just find out for myself now I have made progress and got the dish and motor working.

I have found the modern equivalent of that Astra information channel on Hotbird :)

IMAG0752.jpg

27. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,085
    You can download purplesat satellite channels lists into the M1.. maybe direct via TM ONLINE

There's links too to firmware / patches etc.

Adding new satellite positions can be done in the TM5402 M1/2 .. not necessarily in the same order but you should find empty satellites at 0.0e at the end of the satellite's list.

You need to use an editor 9NL8NE a pc to move them around if they end up in the wrong order .. see technomate or clarktech pc channel lists editors.

Being low down might limit what you an get .. depends on the location, I've had massive arcs though on some ground installs.

28. GrahamWebb

GrahamWebb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers I have loaded your channel list onto the box and now its picking up alot more satellites some African music channel on 53e so not blocked to the east, I didnt realise the channel list would add extra satellites so its great. I also have the last 2015 phantompatch for the M1 so will try that at some point. :)

29. GrahamWebb

GrahamWebb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its a bit mind boggling this system there are so many channels. There are so many of them it takes hours to find something to watch just scrolling through the listings to try and find ones I found last night takes a long time. ;). I go to a channel and the dish starts to move it comes up no signal I think I cant get the channel then 10 seconds later it clears and they start working. I guess it will take quite a while to find my way around it I need to write down the numbers of the good ones and take some notes. There is some good stuff on here so trying to learn the best way to find stuff I might try going a sat at a time so I am not going to and fro with the motor. Do the newer boxes have any kind of program listings that can download or any kind of genre search across all the programming on all the satellites so you can find whats on?

30. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,085
    You can list sections /genres on each satellite on the tm5402 on purplesat lists .. press OK then the green button should list all the sections on that satellite on most main satellites . . Movies Family Docu TV Music Kids News Adults Feeds

Click on the subsection. . Eg Freesat Movies. . Then you need to press the red button to take you to that section & scroll down the movies. .

(If it doesn't display the sections after pressing the green button. . Go up to others on the left column)

You can use All Satellites pressing SAT & go up to top satellite .. you can then access all sections on all satellites.

Most sats have more useful free channels near the top of each satellite channel list

The UK 7 day EPG will load if you click OK on the 7 DAY EPG UPDATER channel & press EPG & wait for it to load.