1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcycles & new tyre = broken bones......Kramer's down!

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Kramer, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it finally happened. My first & hopefully last tumble.

Out Monday evening for a spin on my bike (Bandit 600). I had a new rear tyre fitted a few days earlier (a good Bridgestone BT020) & I was well aware of the dangers associated. I had scrubbed it in a little & did take it easy. I still was taking it easy but not easy enough :(

Had covered 20+ miles (tyres good & warm) on good biking roads. Travelling @ 60mph "ish" on a long right hander, mid throttle (probably slightly less throttle even). 2/3 rds of the way around opened the throttle slightly. That was a mistake :rolleyes:

Rear stepped out slightly, maybe 5/6 inches, then gripped again. Bike straightened itself up violently (as they do) & I left the seat. Not by much, maybe 7/8 inches. Baby "high side" if you like :D

Of course, at this stage, the bike was upright & now well off-line for the bend. I knew I couldn't make it & as there was a stone wall looming ever closer, I decided to scrub off as much speed as possible & then abandon ship. Hitting the wall wouldn't have been a good move :D

I'd say I got her down to under 50 when I hit the ground. There was gravel/grass about 3 feet from the wall, this is where she went.

Anyone who's ever had the misfortune to come off a bike will understand what happened next........

Bang, crash, boom, lots of noise, scraping sounds etc. Not very memorable or enjoyable.

When the dust settled, I was face down on the edge of the road, bike on top of my right foot. Neither I nor the bike actually hit the wall - result :smashin:

Realising my perilous situation, I managed to pull my foot out from under the frame. Man did that hurt :eek: 230Kgs of metal sitting on top of one's leg is quite uncomfortable :) . Crawled like a snail onto the grass margin. Not too long before the cavalry arrived - big transit van with 3 big strong lads aboard. They sat me up & I caught my breath. I asked them to pick me up which they did & they sat me on the wall. Now lads, I've a pretty good threshold for pain but boy was I hurt. Left knee, right ankle, right hip & the rest. Little dizzy too & felt like spewing. I got the helmet & gloves off, they got the bike of the road. It was then the mobile phones started appearing...........phoning an ambulance. I asked them politely to refrain from calling an ambulance as I was OK. I just needed a few minutes.

Long story short, I phoned for assistance (brother-in-law, fellow biker) & called Mrs. K. Got home, got all gear off, licked wounds, took some painkillers etc. No hospital for me........I'm as hard as nails!!!

But, the hospital visit was inevitable. Right ankle broken. 2 bones apparently, bottom of my Fibula & one of the ankle joint bones (can't recall which they said). Have a temporary cast on now which will have to come off tomorrow. Apparently, the swelling (& very impressive it is :D ) has to go down before they can "move" the bones & fit a proper cast. Not looking forward to tomorrow.....sounds painful :rolleyes:

So that's it. A good long read for any of you still reading.

I was both lucky & unlucky I guess. The most important lesson to be learned? ALWAYS wear protective kit when on your bike. I had everything, body armour, pants, jacket, gloves, boots & helmet. Not a scratch on me. Bruised & generally battered but apart from the broken ankle, OK. My foot got trapped under the bike as it slid, that's what broke my ankle. The boot took most of the force, thankfully.

5+ weeks of DVDs, games & interweb surfing for me!!!!!

BTW, for those "proper" bikers out there, the bike is grand, superficial damage only :smashin:

2. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

sure that slight wrist turn wasn't ever so slightly on purpose ;)

It's stories like this that mean I'll never be allowed near a bike.

Sod's law says the batteries on your remote will go tomorrow :clap:

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Is this the same Kramer that I've met :D

Glad to hear that you're OK

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. As they say, appearances can be deceptive. Look at you for example, your far wiser looking in person than your avatar would suggest :D

Was it the "bruised, battered & broken bones" that gave it away? :D

..........Man these tablets are coooool........need some more now

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,754
    It could have been a lot worse mate, just pleased it's a "little break" :)

6. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    That's an impressive account.
    First time I came off, it was too much back brake, wheel locked up, I ended up on the floor with the bike on my foot. That's about all I remember. Luckily low speed so nothing more than a bruise.
    Ditto the protective kit comment. I was in full leathers etc by then. Foolhardy days over.

7. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,415
    yep wear protective kit, my brother in law (in a few weeks), ended up in a field's drainage ditch with one arm around his back and his leg round his head, bones out of his skin, the lot...He was wearing everything possible and it saved his life, although for some reason the paramedics took his gloves off and he ended up with some nasty Nettle stings to his hands as they put him on the stretcher...please be careful out there.

Kramer, it is good to know you are not mortally wounded... :smashin:

8. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Glad to here you're ok Kramer.

But thanks for another reminder to keep the those ideas of being a middle aged biker firmly where they belong. Especially as I've never been a 'born in the first place biker', never mind 'born again biker'.

Take it easy fella and maybe get some practice in on Moto GP ;)

Chris

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Can we see some pics?

Take it easy mate.

Glad you 'walked' away!

Pete.

10. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As someone who also broke his leg recently (November). My sympathies are with you.

Nothing as exciting as a motorcycle accident, mine involved a ladder. End result a week in hospital, a rod, a plate, & 8 pins to put the 3 pieces of my fibula back into one.

Like you, I consider myself lucky. It could quite as easily been my face or something a lot more permanent.

Take care and good health.

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,540
    At least i'm not alone in breaking bones this week. I broke both my radius and ulna in my right arm!

Fighting in a kick-boxing match, and i slipped / fell, and my right fist hit the floor square on....i can vividly recall the noise my breaking bones made! Cue trip to hospital. Not exactly what i had planned, since i won my 1st fight, and doing pretty well in the 2nd......oh well, here's to a fibre glass cast for 8 weeks :(

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Kramer's experience should be a salutary lesson to all middle aged bikers :rotfl:

13. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    1968,broken right ankle,broken right wrist,fractured pelvis,2 fractures of the verterbrae,=paddock bend brands hatch....... :eek:

1995,fractured right wrist,broken schaphoid right hand,broken left collar bone,............snetterton :eek:

some people never learn :D

14. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Good to hear you're Ok,Kramer,and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

All of my biking friends have similar stories to tell,along with one being wiped off recently by the ubiquitous motorist on a roundabout who doesnt stop for bikes......good argument for sticking to cars!

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,754
    First time I came off it was too much right hand, everything went blurry and I ruined the magazine ;) :D

16. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought Diane a moped a couple of years or so ago. She did look cute with her little helmet on, like pushing your child off as she learns to ride a bike. I often thought if that would be the last time i saw her:laugh: Winter came, she'd have none of it:laugh: and i'm glad she no longer has one.

Bikes, christ when i think of how i acted on them as a teenager.

Heres to a quick recovery:)

17. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roads are buggers, I fell out of a moving vehicle onto the road and fractured my skull! That was a little bit painful!

Glad to hear your OK, and hope you have a speedy recovery!

18. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29

:eek: :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

19. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did someone ask for pics?

My right ankle earlier today after the "half slab" came off before the full cast went on:

[​IMG]

Pretty swollen still. They reckon the full cast will have to come off again next week & another fitted as the leg will "shrink" away from it :eek:

My left knee, not too bad today:

[​IMG]

:oops:

20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,754
    I swear I can see the face of the lord in that bruise, quick auction it off :D

21. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    the lord? Jabba the Hut surely.

22. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last pic. My right side, just above the hip, about 10" x "8 (perfect size for framing :D ).
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the good wishes fellas :smashin:

So, anyone in the market for a good 2nd hand bike? Goes like stink (especially on its side along the road with a foot underneath :D ).

.........Kramer needs more tablets........

23. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I can see a grey mottled cat smoking a cigarette whilst holding a champagne glass.

Kramer - glad you are ( relatively ) OK !

I'm impressed with your recollection of events.
    When I experienced my first fall off a big bike rather than off a moped
    I had no idea why it happened.
    One sunny morning about 10.00 am I remember approaching a constant radius left hander at just over 59mph ( :rolleyes: ) from a long straight. I braked in a straight line and was holding a steady throttle through the turn when the front wheel lost all grip. I slid with the bike across the road - towards a hedge.

Nobody must have seen it happen because I woke up around two hours later covered in mud and cow pats in a farmers field with two large cows - one sitting beside me, the other standing over me. I was unscathed apart from badly scratched protective gear. My bike was about twenty yards further away, covered in mud and grass, otherwise just a few scratches.
    Luckily I had travelled through an open gate, coming to rest behind the hedgerows.

A few weeks later on exactly the same bend - a guy was riding with some mates and had almost the same accident, except he missed the gate and went through the hedge. Sadly, the hedge concealed a barbed wire fence - he lost his right arm and left foot.

24. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Dude, bruises aside, I note that you have seriously hairy toes! :eek: :D

Is that a biker thing?!?!?! :confused:

Pete (never ridden a bike in my life)

25. VMAX

VMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Glad to see you are not too badly injured and have retained a sense of humour and perspective. Normally recommend 100+ miles to scrub a tyre in properly especially this time of year. Don't give up riding because of an accident, ride it again when you have recovered, and then if you still feel the same give up. Otherwise you will always wonder if you could still do it.
    VMax

26. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,214
    Glad you are ok, although that is one MASSIVE leg you have there!!!

2 and a half years on a bike (well I stopped for petrol once or twice) and 3 off's. Luckily only one injury which was a dislocated shoulder. Bikers are TOUGH! I picked my bike up, straightened a few things out then rode it home, got out of bike gear, got dressed in normal clothes then went to the hospital to have the shoulder re-located. Then I nearly cried with the pain!!! Hee hee hee!

27. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehehehehe, hairy toes :D

Well, believe it or not, the good Samaritans had "thrown" my bike against the wall I nearly hit. After they had gone I actually managed to get it off the wall & onto the side stand. It was still in gear so I couldn't roll it. It wouldn't come out of gear either so I managed to start it!!!

Yep, the ankle was/is pretty big alright (can't see it now under the cast). The hospital reckon it'll have to be recasted next week due to "shrinkage" :D

Listening to some of you guys, I got off very lightly.

:smoke:

28. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How are you doing Kramer, got a medical update for us?

29. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,214
    Do you still have the largest foot in the world?

30. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Yeah,Barney Rubble would be proud of that! :eek: