Motorcycle security, anyone care to share any recommendations?

Inked

Distinguished Member
Now that I am back on two wheels I’m looking into all the different options when it comes to motorcycle security, and wondered if anyone would like to share their thoughts on products they’ve used, good or bad.

Trackers - I’m personally considering a tracker (though not sure I’d really want my bike back if stolen, I remember having someone try to steal my CBR600 just after I’d bought it, snapping the steering lock and damaging the frame. Insurance paid out for a full bike rebuild onto a new frame! Hassle though).
Looking at the monimoto as it

Ground / wall anchors - I have a tarmac driveway through my garage so would likely need to bolt into the brickwork

Guardsman barrier (same issue as the ground anchors, though guardsman have said they would fabricate wall mounts at no extra cost)

Disc locks - I’ve purchased an Oxford monster, seems well built, pretty heavyweight.

Chains - I’d like the litelok core but it’s not yet available, may pick up the standard litelok for now. Don’t really want to be riding round with a giant heavy chain, may pick up something more substantial for use in the garage.

I also have cameras front and rear of the garage as well.

So, what have you used? What’s good? What’s crap and should be avoided?

goggins

+1 for the Oxford monster disc lock. Bike kept in garage when not in use with extra padlocks on up and over door. Been on a couple of trips and mate used the heaviest chain I’ve ever seen along with the free hd lock from the Birmingham motorcycle show a couple of years back.

goggins

As probably every other reply to the above question has said over the years, nothing will completely stop someone stealing any item if they are hellbent on taking it. The disc lock is a simple and easy to carry piece of kit that buys a bit of time or acts as a deterrent. Thanks to it and the goodwill of an honest human being, the bike was not stolen albeit left a bit damaged. At the end of the day it’s about weighing up the risk of leaving your bike with a few mechanical devices on it or hire 4 heavies with baseball bats every time you leave the bike.

Doug the D

Distinguished Member
As probably every other reply to the above question has said over the years, nothing will completely stop someone stealing any item if they are hellbent on taking it. The disc lock is a simple and easy to carry piece of kit that buys a bit of time or acts as a deterrent. Thanks to it and the goodwill of an honest human being, the bike was not stolen albeit left a bit damaged. At the end of the day it’s about weighing up the risk of leaving your bike with a few mechanical devices on it or hire 4 heavies with baseball bats every time you leave the bike.

Pretty much my philosophy tbh. My bike is kept in a friends garage with no more than a disc lock on it. I did consider spending £100's on additional security, however my friend's garage is secure and hidden from the main road (double-edged sword I know, it's hard to find unless you know it's there but the privacy would give would-be thieves that privacy too...).

The aggro and cost of carrying high-end security products vs. using my insurance for what it's there for simply has me thinking that if my bike gets nicked, it gets nicked. I've never been sentimental about objects of any kind and bikes are no different to me.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom