Motorcycle GPS Tracker.

amped2go

Established Member
Reaction score
After having a second moped stolen from under my flat the other day:mad:, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a GPS tracker GSM phone device like this GPS Tracking

I quite like the idea of being able to find where the bike is, but not sure the chances of getting the police to help you search the flats or the house it's reporting to be in based on a GPS location or even how accurate they might be. It's supposed to be down to 5m, but it won't tell you the elevation, so if it's in the stairwell on the 23rd floor it'd be hard work to find.

Does anyone have a car or bike device that reports to you the location and have you ever had to use it? Also would you get a discount off your insurance if you fitted one?

Also, without reading the link, i presume this thing has to be activated by calling in to it, and if it doesnt have a gps signal (i.e. is indoors) then it cant tell you where it is.

If your having problems with theft how about an alarm and immobiliser with text alerts.

Stop the thieving ***** taking it in the first place.

Thanks for your reply jenic, I think you're right I will definately get a good immobiliser to stop it getting nicked in the first place, but I also like the thought that if it is stolen that I might have a chance of recovering it.

I like the idea of the tracker thing (gps & the phone part) as you can set how often it updates it's position or directly text the device to ask for it's position. You can also set up boundrys so that if the bike goes outside of a cordon that you define you will be texted.

Maybe I've just watched too many movies where they've tracked the vehicle and then the cops have taken down the thiefs :thumbsup:

Have you not thought about proper physical security?
I have a nice bike, in a crap area, but although I do have an alarm/immobilser, I am also aware that it takes seconds for a couple of fit blokes to lift it into the back of a van and drive off... a proper ground anchor and a good quality chain/padlock are more worthwhile than an alarm IMO.
Proper ground anchor and chain will cost about 200 quid, but it's money well spent and the peace of mind is priceless.
check this vid out it's the chain I've got... it's pretty tough...!

To be honest if its a moped being stolen then the likelyhood is that it will be thrashed to within an inch of its life, raced round a field and dumped. Even if you did find it the thieves will be long gone and I doubt it would be in any driveable/useable condition. Probably best to claim on the insurance and get another one. Personally I think it would be best to spend money on deterants, ie alarms/locks as has already been mentioned.
Trackers are worth the money but only on high end expensive cars which seem to be stolen to order and after being stolen are left somewhere for a day or so to see if the police recover them from a possible tracker being installed.

I agree the first thing is to have a decent lock and to try stopping the bike being stolen in the first place.

Trackers are worth the money but only on high end expensive cars which seem to be stolen to order and after being stolen are left somewhere for a day or so to see if the police recover them from a possible tracker being installed.

This is what to me is the most interesting thing with the tracker technology. Trackers used to be for luxury motor vehicles, but with the price of a tracker at approx. ÂŁ130 you can get from what I see the exact same functionality. I understand it might be thrashed if it's a moped, but the minute I realise it's stolen I can request it's current location and then every minute after that to see where it's going or if it's stationary. Instead of reporting my bike stolen and it being entered in their lost and stolen database, I could report that it is a crime in progress and give them the coordinates, though to be honest if I did this I would probably check the location first and see if I could see my bike.

To me this is a cool bit of technology, but as has been pointed out it's no deterent and will not contribute in any way to the bike not being stolen, but I still love the geek factor of being able to check with my iphone while on holiday to see if my moped is still in the garage.

Have you not thought about proper physical security?
I have a nice bike, in a crap area, but although I do have an alarm/immobilser, I am also aware that it takes seconds for a couple of fit blokes to lift it into the back of a van and drive off... a proper ground anchor and a good quality chain/padlock are more worthwhile than an alarm IMO.
Proper ground anchor and chain will cost about 200 quid, but it's money well spent and the peace of mind is priceless.
check this vid out it's the chain I've got... it's pretty tough...!

10 seconds with a disc cutter :)

5 if you smash the owner over the head with the blot cutters as he gets off the bike :p

Yeah, think you may have missed the point a bit there, Eric... ;)

No security in the world is going to stop someone who REALLY wants yer bike, and if they turn up with power tools and are prepared to make a large mess, and a massive amount of noise then yes, they will of course get it. But they won't will they? They will simply go and find one that's easier :)

with whom you have no connection I trust?

Dave

No need to list other sites, it's just that when someone registers and their first post is to recommend a company in a thread that has been idle for 4 months it makes us twitchy mods suspicious that the person is connected with the company. :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom