1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorbike touring - need a camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by GeoffPorritt, Jul 21, 2005.

1. GeoffPorritt

GeoffPorritt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me with some advice. :lease: I want to record my motorbike touring using a camcorder (stored safely tucked away in the panniers at the back), via a camera mounted on the helmet and LANC connected on/off/pause switch mounted on the handlebars.

I'd like decent quality to show the folks back home and have a budget of £500 to £1,000 (I really have NO idea what I need to be truthful).

Thanks for your time,

Geoff

:thumbsup:

2. 209AZ

209AZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there,I did a 4 day tour of Scotland and wanted to do the same thing.

I had a bullet cam from RF Concepts and had three mounting points on the bike and linked it to a Canon with analogue in.The Canon went faulty after 8 hours,but thats another item for discussion.

I had nine tapes,and I just set the camera going and let the tape run for the hour and then edited the whole lot down to about an hour.

You will need to power the bullit cam,and I did this direct from the bikes battery,via a fuse and a switch.The camcorder had a couple of big capacity batteries.

The one mistake I made,was capturing the whole lot to my PC with Windows Movie Maker using the 1st option which is not the best,but by the time I had found out I had done all the editing and it was just too much work to start again.

I have a clip which you can view,but you will need a broadband connection as it is a large download,but it will give you an idea,bearing in mind my comment about capturing at a lower quality.
    http://volksdragon.net/images/Scotland.wmv

Right click and Save Target

3. GeoffPorritt

GeoffPorritt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this. (btw, the footage looks great!)

I've settled on a sony DVD203 with lanc controller in the end, plus the slightly more expensive helmet camera from the folks you recommended. I figured that it would be a shame to have the extra resolution on the camera and then waste it for the sake of a couple of quid by getting the lower res helmet cam.

Cheers,

Geoff

:clap:

4. BoldBunny

BoldBunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The footage looks great, xlnt quality from a bullit cam

I thought I might suggestthis firm for a helmet cam.
    http://www.sports-cameras.com/
    Not tried them myself but seen results from their cams, pretty good.