MotoGP 14

Soundmangt4

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've just seen this on Amazon available for pre order, with a June 27th release date, yet I can't find any real gameplay footage. I find this slightly worrying, almost like they're keeping it under wraps as it looks poop and they hope die hard fans will order it before seeing it?
I'm a massive MotoGP fan, but have never really got on with the games, but I've also never really put any time into mastering them either.
I'm tempted to get this, but certainly not until the reviews are in and some gameplay footage is released.

Has anyone else seen much about this title?

Only seen an announcement trailer (on game spot website) and a few screenshots so far.

Anyone else getting this? Now being released on June 20th and £40 on Amazon. I've pre ordered it, just to get a racing fix on the PS4, plus it looks pretty good from what I've seen.

Decent review from Eurogamer:

MotoGP 14 review • Eurogamer.net

Seven wins straight. It's almost unthinkable that anyone could pull off the perfect MotoGP season by winning every single race, but in the here and now, with 11 races to go, that's exactly what Marc Márquez could achieve. He's this year's defending champion, and despite strong competition from Rossi, Pedrosa and Lorenzo - the latter of whom won more races last season that any other rider - it looks like the new ace up Repsol Honda's sleeve is going to walk it. This leaves the fight for second place as the more interesting proposition, especially with so many contracts about to expire.

It's fair to say that MotoGP is going through a transition period, and in the world of officially licensed racing games, the same can be said of Milestone. This Italian developer has given us more two-wheeled titles than anyone else in the business. For a time, it was the studio behind the SBK series, but since reconnecting with the MotoGP licence in 2013, Milestone has stuck to what it does best - and that's delivering its sophisticated style of semi-simulation riding physics beneath increasingly dated graphics.

Thankfully, MotoGP 14 on the PlayStation 4 is a marked improvement over its technically accomplished yet visually bland predecessors. It's never going to challenge the likes of Forza or Gran Turismo, but what Milestone has achieved on its tighter budget is still worthy of praise. The bikes cast multiple shadows as you hurtle down the main Losail straight at the dead of night. The rider animations extend to some epic highside saves when you gun it too quickly out of a corner. And the tracks - while far from showstoppers - feel noticeably less static.

jpg

The Real Events 2013 mode features live footage from last year's season. One of the challenges has you trying to change the fortunes of Crutchlow at Catalunya.

This all adds up to a more commanding presentation - yet, as refreshing as it is to play a MotoGP game that looks more contemporary, the handling model will always lie at the heart of the Milestone experience. In this regard, MotoGP 14 follows a similar line to the past games. With the simulation and AI settings maxed out, you'll have to nail every apex, pass and shift to stand any chance of success. But if you lower the bar while turning some of the riding aids on, the margin for error becomes much more lenient.

Compare MotoGP 14 with the real-world sport of motorbike racing and you'll end up with a long list of irregularities, but to do so would miss the point entirely. It's about striking an even balance between realism and gameplay, and although the braking distances and off-track excursions may raise the odd eyebrow, the art of feathering the throttle through a sharp left-hander feels perfectly poised on the DualShock 4. There's even been a marked improvement in the fallibility of the rider AI. They now make occasional mistakes rather than racing like a pack of autonomous robots.

In terms of available modes, MotoGP 14 delivers all the usual suspects while throwing some interesting extras into the mix. Instant Race, Grand Prix, Championship and Time Attack all function exactly as stated, and with a generous spread of five rosters and 18 tracks - including the new Termas de Río Hondo circuit in Argentina - the only notable omission is Michele Pirro. But with a healthy Cal Crutchlow both in the game and on the box, you're free to take Ducati to the top of the table in a run of Casey Stoner proportions.

jpg

By completing laps and collecting Data Packs, you can instruct your engineers to target specific areas of the bike in Career mode

This "what if?" mentality is a big part of the game's draw and it's refreshing to see it taken beyond the returning Career mode. Making a rider from a limited selection of faces, starting them as a Moto3 wildcard and then slowly climbing the ranks until they're the premier class champion is all much the same as before, but MotoGP 14 is given a bit more personality by two new modes: Real Events 2013 and Challenge the Champions.

Inspired by last year's more eventful season, Real Events 2013 tasks you with recreating and even bettering the key moments from each race. For the opening race in Qatar, you have to finish third or better as Rossi after a dodgy overtake leaves you considerably behind, and when you make it to Aragón in Spain, you have to maintain your position as Pedrosa after a collision with Márquez knocks out your traction control system. If you're the kind of MotoGP fan that watches every race without fail, then reliving these moments is a genuine thrill - especially when you set the difficulty to a notch above your comfort zone.

The same is also true of the Challenge the Champions mode that harks back to the simpler times of 500cc two-stroke engines. It takes all the riders from the MotoGP 13 Champions DLC, adds in six new faces (including Max Biaggi and Noriyuki Haga) and then throws down the gauntlet with 17 challenges. A few of these are fictional - such as a first-place finish from Freddie Spencer after starting from last on the grid - but most are based on true events.

jpg

You can switch between five traction control settings by pressing up and down on the d-pad.

The only disappointing thing about this pair of nostalgic modes is that they're fairly short-lived. There are 34 challenges between them, but aside from increasing the AI difficulty, there's little in the way of replay value. This makes the inclusion of the redundant playable Safety Car mode more grating. Milestone's time would've been better spent coming up with more challenges rather than shoehorning a BMW M4 Coupé into a motorbike racing game. I wouldn't go so far as to call it offensive, but it's surprising how badly the car handles when you consider the studio's work on the World Rally Championship series.

Mercifully, the Beemer is restricted to Time Attack mode and its own online leaderboards. The rest of the online features are reserved for the main two-wheeled attractions and include everything from the returning Grand Prix to the new Split Times mode. The former includes all the usual options for up to 12 players - including whether you want to enforce Pro physics or turn the collisions on or off - while the latter divides the track into eight sectors and awards victory to the player who can lay down the best time in the most sectors.

Add the graphical overhaul, refined handling and experimental modes together and you end up with a racer that feels much more competitive that its immediate predecessors. Milestone has a habit of releasing motorcycling sequels that hold little distinction outside of the yearly livery changes, but in MotoGP 14, it's not relying solely on the draw of the licence and the pull of its physics. That doesn't mean it's comparable to Márquez in terms of getting everything right, but if ever there was a game made by MotoGP fans for MotoGP fans, this is definitely it.

8 / 10

Sounds very promising.

Sadly i think i have more fun blasting down the streets in Bohan shooting cops, or making jumps in the wilds of Los Santos, than racing on tracks now...

Quite tempted with this, must admit. Need a racing game and enjoyed the bikes in the past.

I have this on pre-order from Zavii.com, so will post up my thoughts when it arrives (hopefully tomorrow)!

hope MotoGP 14 is better than the real thing otherwise it'll be cack on a disc. If it's worse than the real thing (and that'll be going some) then i hope all retail employees and postal workers who come into contact with said game are issued with Hazmat suits because it'll be a certified bio-weapon.

hope MotoGP 14 is better than the real thing otherwise it'll be cack on a disc. If it's worse than the real thing (and that'll be going some) then i hope all retail employees and postal workers who come into contact with said game are issued with Hazmat suits because it'll be a certified bio-weapon.

I guess you're not a MotoGP fan then? Personally I think it's the most exciting racing on TV, with more overtaking in a single lap than an entire F1 race!
BTCC comes a close second too, if only someone would do a next gen TOCA Touring cars game! :(

I guess you're not a MotoGP fan then? Personally I think it's the most exciting racing on TV, with more overtaking in a single lap than an entire F1 race!
BTCC comes a close second too, if only someone would do a next gen TOCA Touring cars game! :(

I was a huge MotoGP fan back when everyone was (roughly) racing on the same machinery. What we have today is worse than the end of the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke battle. In order to present a 'grid' they're pushing folks out on bicycles... The stark reality is that there are only 4 bikes in Moto GP (despite there being 3 factory teams) and one of them is driven by a massively out of form JLo, so that makes it a 1 horse race with 2 naggs hoping the thoroughbred hops off so they might steal a win.

Not the definition of competition / exciting racing in my book. Massive shame as Moto GP was by far and away the best motorsport going in its heyday. WSBK is far superior today and i never thought a day would come where i'd type that!

First and last time I buy anything from Zavvi. Release date was 20th June, and today it is still showing as 'awaiting dispatch', despite their slightly optimistic delivery date of 20th June! :thumbsdow

Got this last week and am really enjoying it. It feels very similar to the last MotoGP game I got in 2006 (but the physics are a good step up) and visually it looks much better than that 360 game with crisp and detailed visuals. The AI is also decent and I've had some great close races and am really enjoying the career mode.

Last edited:
I received my copy today (well done Zavvi - only 5 days after release!) and after a quick play it really seems pretty good! It'll take some getting used to, as it's my first MotoGP game, but the physics seem pretty good and the graphics are okay, but it's not a game I bought for graphics.
Shame I can't use 'Soundman' as my nickname, as it's 1 letter too long! :facepalm:

I guess you're not a MotoGP fan then? Personally I think it's the most exciting racing on TV, ... BTCC comes a close second too, if only someone would do a next gen TOCA Touring cars game! :(

V8 Ute racing :hiya: Reverse grid, roughly equal vehicles, lots of bum-pushing!

My main problem with MotoGP is getting the feel of riding a bike properly - and translating that to a controller. At least with car games you can get force-feedback wheels.

V8 Ute racing :hiya: Reverse grid, roughly equal vehicles, lots of bum-pushing!

My main problem with MotoGP is getting the feel of riding a bike properly - and translating that to a controller. At least with car games you can get force-feedback wheels.

I do agree and I have a full racing wheel setup myself, but I am sure I will get used to it. At the moment I'm doing a lot of swinging wildly from side to side trying to get used to the pad and the handling of the bikes.
Still fun though, and will get played quite a bit until a decent car game is out!

Still enjoying this and haven't played much else since this arrived to be honest. I'm just working my way through the career and am half way through moto 2 now. I must admit that I preferred the feeling of the moto 3 bikes as you could usually give them full beans, where as you have to be more delicate on the throttle with the moto 2 bikes. Overall I'm enjoying the physics and feel of the game though and when you hook up a series of corners it's very satisfying.

Visually it goes from average to sublime. Some of the tracks (Silverstone etc.) look amazing in the wet, where as others look really basic and poor in the dry at least. The bikes and riders look good though. The framerate and draw distance are great though and it all looks very sharp.

All in all I'm really enjoying this game and must have put a good 10-20 hours into it so far. A solid 8/10 for me and this will keep me going until Drive club and Forza Horizon 2.

I've hardly played this, as I've been on holiday and had lots of other stuff occupying my time. I'd really like to try and get into it, but getting used to the handling when I do play it is proving quite difficult. Maybe the fact I have used a steering wheel for my driving games for the last few years has made my thumb skills a little lacking!

I should hopefully be getting this tomorrow if the Mrs will fetch it for me looks pretty sweet really enjoyed the demo. Be good cause recently quite got into watching Moto gp

Just a little heads up for anybody interested but "MotoGP14 Compact" is on the store for £16.00

It's a cut down version of the game that still has all the riders and tracks but has cut out some options and features.

Just a little heads up for anybody interested but "MotoGP14 Compact" is on the store for £16.00

It's a cut down version of the game that still has all the riders and tracks but has cut out some options and features.
I find that quite strange why they would do that the descriptions on the store are very vague

I'm not sure what all the differences are but this has everything I'd want from the game. Quick races and full championships. I think it's missing some kind of career mode where you can, I would guess, optimise your chosen rider over a season?

What views can you select with this game as am hoping there's an on bike camera view could someone confirm this please.

Yep, there's the usual chase, cockpit, helmet, etc. I can try and grab some screenshots tonight if you want.

Yep, there's the usual chase, cockpit, helmet, etc. I can try and grab some screenshots tonight if you want.
Thank you, no need for screen shots as that's good enough for me.

Used to love the old days on xbox live with moto gp so when I saw this Xmas half price I bought it , god it's bloody hard don't think I've done a lap yet without coming off , I know I'm older now but my reflexes surely can't be that bad.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom