Moto G - future proof?

oxfordmark

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

I have a S4. My callers have told me that it echos when they are on the phone to me.

Been looking at the Motorola G (LTE Sim free) from Argos.

Now i know it isnt as powerful at the S4. But how old is the Moto G? Do motorola plan on updating this to 4.4 and up?

Also, are these phone "pure Google" or not?

The Moto G already runs Kit Kat, 4.4.2 I think, and is not quite vanilla Android. It has some Motorola specific apps added to it. They're are not as intrusive as other manufacturer's Android additions and it has not been re-skinned like other manufacturers do. The Motorola apps cannot be uninstalled without rooting, but they can be disabled.

The old Moto G is not 4G, if that's an issue, and I haven't seen any official word that it will get Android L.

Hey

Thanks for the reply, i decided to buy a Nexus 5 instead, v happy with it.

I've just gone from a Galaxy Nexus to Nexus 5 and am pleased with my choice too.

Motorola have stated it will get Lollipop (v5).
So software wise is future proof.

However it's quad core processor is not super powerful - so as a phone future proof - if you are out to play games - not really.

Motorola have stated it will get Lollipop (v5).
So software wise is future proof.

However it's quad core processor is not super powerful - so as a phone future proof - if you are out to play games - not really.

The thing that worries me is the 1GB RAM, Android can be a resource hog and when even older models like the S4 already have 2GB RAM and newer models getting 3GB I think the G might be left behind at some stage when the RAM becomes insufficient. It's probably sensible to consider a model with 2GB if you really want to be future proof.

The thing that worries me is the 1GB RAM, Android can be a resource hog and when even older models like the S4 already have 2GB RAM and newer models getting 3GB I think the G might be left behind at some stage when the RAM becomes insufficient. It's probably sensible to consider a model with 2GB if you really want to be future proof.

In defence of the Moto G - it uses stock Android so I've always found 1GB to be fine.
Samsungs need another 1GB on top of that to cope with the custom Android bloat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom