• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Motley Crue - The Dirt

TaurusDevil

The film of the book coming to Netflix on 22nd March. Hopefully it will get a Blu Ray release! :thumbsup:

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Seriously can’t wait for this.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Also check out The Heroin Diaries from Nikki Sixx.

featherhall

Distinguished Member

Ron240

Bought The Dirt and The Heroin Diaries when they first came out and couldn't put either of them down.
After many years in production will The Dirt movie live up to the book? Of course it wont, it couldn't possibly.....but if its even half as good it will be amazing!
After watching the trailer I have some reservations about it.....but I'm absolutely planning on watching it on the Friday it comes out so will decide then. :)

D

Deleted member 241106

Absolutely superb film, watched this last night and for anyone that grew up listening to Crüe and was lucky enough to see them live in the 80s like me (although still very annoyed they cancelled the Sheff city hall gig in 87 due to “Snow on the roof”), it’s a mega rush down memory lane, full of antics, nostalgia and stories that I can well remember. Very well made and superbly cast and scripted. Equally enjoyable for anyone who has never heard Crüe too, like the Wife, who’s now downloaded some albums and hooked. Brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron240

Absolutely superb film, watched this last night and for anyone that grew up listening to Crüe and was lucky enough to see them live in the 80s like me (although still very annoyed they cancelled the Sheff city hall gig in 87 due to “Snow on the roof”)
Ahhhhh yes....the now infamous and legendary "snow on the roof" excuse used by Mick Mars for cancelling the UK and European leg of the Girls tour. :D
It was actually 1988 though because I had tickets to see them for the first time at Edinburgh Playhouse in January I think it was.
They eventually did come over and I seen them in November 1989 at the same venue supported by Skid Row. I remember thinking it strange that although Dr.Feelgood had already been released, it was the Girls merchandise that was on sale.

Yeah good film, I enjoyed it.....although predictably not as good as the book.
I definitely need to watch it again though. :)

D

Deleted member 241106

Ahhhhh yes....the now infamous and legendary "snow on the roof" excuse used by Mick Mars for cancelling the UK and European leg of the Girls tour. :D
It was actually 1988 though because I had tickets to see them for the first time at Edinburgh Playhouse in January I think it was.
They eventually did come over and I seen them in November 1989 at the same venue supported by Skid Row. I remember thinking it strange that although Dr.Feelgood had already been released, it was the Girls merchandise that was on sale.

Yeah good film, I enjoyed it.....although predictably not as good as the book.
I definitely need to watch it again though. :)

Ha, yes you’re right it was Jan 88, better memory than me then. We were so gutted we drowned our sorrows in a bottle of JD at the back of the village hall, rock n roll style lol. We managed to catch them next time around at the NEC, which was the Feelgood tour. First time was on the Theatre of Pain tour which I think was 86? they were very raw and rough around the edges but great, no need to guess why lol.

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
I enjoyed it, it's very superficial but also very entertaining.
Only one thing about it's really stuck in my mind since, though
the squirter :rotfl:

which is a bit like the band themselves, for me. Hair metal was never really my thing, apart from WASP. Motley Crue were a very brief stop on my way to the much heavier end of the metal spectrum. The film seemed to touch on most of the stories I remembered from the magazines when I was growing up, though.
Ramsay Snow as Mick Mars seemed pretty much perfectly cast

Ron240

I enjoyed it, it's very superficial but also very entertaining.
Only one thing about it's really stuck in my mind since, though
the squirter :rotfl:
Haha...yeah that was a bit unexpected right at the beginning which should have set the tone for the rest of the film....which ultimately was a bit tame compared with the book.
Unlike you I have never been interested in the heavier end - thrash/death....however you want to categorise it. Motley Crue was the ultimate show band of their generation, but obviously not the best musicians.
I would agree Iwan Rheon was probably the best in the role of the 4. I just cant seem to accept anybody playing Nikki Sixx other than Nikki Sixx himself.....because apart from anything else his accent and pronunciation of words is so distinctive that I expect to hear it.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Motley Crue was the ultimate show band of their generation, but obviously not the best musicians.

Even Nikki Sixx alluded to that. He admitted when he moved to LA he couldn’t play bass for sh*t. Then said something like, “well, it didn’t stop Gene Simmons, did it?”

:laugh:

Vila

I was a little disappointed with this to be honest.

The first two thirds of the film where great but seem to run out of steam as soon as Vince left the band and tried to tie everything up in an incoherent mishmash - Where was Tommy Lee's relationship with Pammy and his stint in Jail!?

Ron240

Where was Tommy Lee's relationship with Pammy
The timeline of the film covers up to 1995, so with Tommy only meeting(and marrying 4 days later) Pammy in 1995 we should probably assume the 2 do not overlap.

Vila

The timeline of the film covers up to 1995, so with Tommy only meeting(and marrying 4 days later) Pammy in 1995 we should probably assume the 2 do not overlap.

It showed Mick Mars getting his hips replaced and coming out of Hospital which happened in the 2000's ?

Ron240

It showed Mick Mars getting his hips replaced and coming out of Hospital which happened in the 2000's ?
Yes that's correct....so I think it was a continuity error by the film makers.
It definitely ends at 1995 though, after being stated they perform together for another 20 years.

Edit.
After googling it there is actually quite a few things out of sequence.....but the 4 members memories are probably quite hazy from that time period. :D

Last edited:

Vila

I really didn't 'read' the film that way you also see Vince rejoin the band and that was after 95.

When does the book end?

Ron240

When does the book end?
The book came out in 2001 and that's when I read it.....so I honestly can't remember when it covers up to.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Watched this today. Thoroughly enjoyable but felt they glossed over some of the events, such as Nikki Sixx only dying once, their battle with the record company, etc.

wolfie138

caught this last night, thought it was fantastic. loved the asides to the camera, they don't usually work for me. Mick totally cracked me up ["**** off you ****ing teenager!"], the recreation of the sets and costumes was excellent, and the bit with Skyler was as painful as expected but actually toned down lot from the book.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom