Question MotionFlow Keeps Turning Itself On - Bravia KD55X720E

ttrifko2

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a 55 inch Sony Bravia KD55X720E and am having some trouble with the video settings. I do not like the MotionFlow feature and I turn it off by pressing home->settings->video-> and setting MotionFlow to Off.

5-10 minutes later, when I check the video settings, i see that it is back on. Motion also turns itself back on if I turn the TV off then on again. This is extremely frustrating - does anyone know how to make the TV keep the MotionFlow settings I want?

This same symptom applies to Reality Creation, MotionFlow, and CineMotion (i.e., my TV has all three features and keeps setting all three of them to "auto").

- TT

I tried doing the initial set up and selecting the option other than store demo. The TV even said "picture reset: off. However, it still keeps turning these settings back on.

Just leave Motionflow on custom with smoothness on 0, clearness on 0 and film mode on high. This will give you the best result on all sources of content. No smoothing, no bfi, no SOE. It will display all content at the correct framerate. Set and forget. Then if you want you can turn the smoothness up (to 2 is a good option imo) for sports.

I tried doing the initial set up and selecting the option other than store demo. The TV even said "picture reset: off. However, it still keeps turning these settings back on.

Is the set on Auto Scene mode?

Just leave Motionflow on custom with smoothness on 0, clearness on 0 and film mode on high. This will give you the best result on all sources of content. No smoothing, no bfi, no SOE. It will display all content at the correct framerate. Set and forget. Then if you want you can turn the smoothness up (to 2 is a good option imo) for sports.
This is a 50/60Hz model, don't think Smoothness will do anything for sports?

This is a 50/60Hz model, don't think Smoothness will do anything for sports?

Frame Interpolation to the best of my knowledge is independent of a TVs refresh rate. The refresh rate comes into play more with BFI.

Frame Interpolation to the best of my knowledge is independent of a TVs refresh rate. The refresh rate comes into play more with BFI.
How are you going to interpolate from 50 or 60fps beyond a 50/60Hz refresh rate? Don't think it will work on 1080i/50 or 1080i/60 either (besides the 720p/50 or 720p/60).

How are you going to interpolate from 50 or 60fps beyond a 50/60Hz refresh rate?

In the UK sport is broadcast at 25 FPS (unfortunately), unless you are viewing the Sky Q UHD Sport channels or the BT Sport 4K UHD channel where the sport is broadcast at native 50fps.

I agree that I don't see how you could interpolate native 50/60fps content above a 50/60hz refresh rate panel.

In the UK sport is broadcast at 25 FPS (unfortunately), unless you are viewing the Sky Q UHD Sport channels or the BT Sport 4K UHD channel where the sport is broadcast at native 50fps.

I agree that I don't see how you could interpolate native 50/60fps content above a 50/60hz refresh rate panel.
The question is though: it may be 25fps but often (/normally) it is broadcasted interlaced at 50hz so will it still interpolate?
Another point for the Sony Motionflow topic :laugh:;). I'm sure @Analysis will be a willing test subject (maybe you can disclose to him what testing you guys have actually done. Slow-mo recordings?)

You need to set it to Auto(General), this will then put everything to Auto, and Motionflow will be off by default and should be greyed out. Reality Creation and Film Mode will also be set to Auto.

I've got mine on Standard and Netural with everything else by default, only the backlight has been set higher to 35, nothing else has been changed and am very impressed nearly 1 year since purchase for the money I've paid.

Are you updated to the latest firmware version v8.764?

Go to the Sony website in the U.S and download it on to a USB stick, upload onto the tv and then see what happens.

All the channels I've got are fixed to 25hz and are either 576i, 720P or 1080i.

I leave Motionflow off anyhow as it just makes things feel like a sped up Youtube video and doesn't do anything when content drops below 24fps causing 3:2 pulldown which will happen on most NTSC content so as you are a U.S user you will see this far more than us over in Europe, very rarely have I seen this on PAL Europe content so far.

If this is an issue it's always best to buy a 120hz panel as this then eliminates this, but I've kind of got used to it as I knew this would happen anyhow before I bought this tv as it's only 50hz, previous one was 100hz so this was never a problem.

Sony 55xe70xx owners thread

Last edited:
All the channels I've got are fixed to 25hz and are either 576i, 720P or 1080i.
25fps, not 25Hz. And normally a 720p channel will be 50fps ... (but I can't find any info on an MTV3 for example, only that it is 720p)

65c91108-4f2f-4ae9-9518-843f3b508a87.jpg

Screenshot_2018-12-19 tr005 - tr005 pdf.png

Example: Eurovision: European Shooting Championship Shotgun
Signal description - Video
Encryption Code: Yes
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Production Standard: HD 1080i - 50 Hz (PAL)
Distribution Standard: HD only
Signal Description: Dirty Feed (With Graphics)
Language of Graphics: English

Last edited:
Just leave Motionflow on custom with smoothness on 0, clearness on 0 and film mode on high.

After checking there is no High setting on the XE70, only Auto or Off. I also tried your suggested settings and they really didn't do much and certainly don't stop 3:2 pulldown on NTSC content.

After checking there is no High setting on the XE70, only Auto or Off. I also tried your suggested settings and they really didn't do much and certainly don't stop 3:2 pulldown on NTSC content.

On your specific TV, does Motionflow true cinema with Film mode auto have any effect?

On your specific TV, does Motionflow true cinema with Film mode auto have any effect?

There is no 'True Cinema' setting within Motionflow, only three settings available, it's best to just buy a 120hz panel if you are sensitive to motion.

There is no 'True Cinema' setting within Motionflow, only three settings available, it's best to just buy a 120hz panel if you are sensitive to motion.

I have the 55 inch version of the XF90. I was simply trying to offer helpful advice to the OP :)

They are very different sets (OS and panel type)

I am aware of that. It doesn't detract from the fact that I was trying to help.

I'm glad you enjoy your tv.

Cheers.

Last edited:
The OP probably has the scene mode on Auto which means you could be looking at the settings for Film one moment (/show) and Standard the next. I happened to notice it a few weeks ago when I tried it

@Analysis what device actually says 'Hz'? Doesn't it just say 1080i/25 or something if you press the info button on the Sony?
I browsed a couple off Finnish 'AV' forums the other day and all mention 50Hz broadcast (it would be impossible to send out a 25fps interlaced signal at 25Hz?).
But the question here with regards to Motionflow is (and has been from the get-go): does a 50Hz Sony (or any other brand) do interpolation after deinterlacing the signal? This is what 'needs' to be tested for the Motionflow topic :smashin: (which still seems incomplete after a few of the later comments with other setting combo's).

The OP probably has the scene mode on Auto which means you could be looking at the settings for Film one moment (/show) and Standard the next. I happened to notice it a few weeks ago when I tried it

@Analysis what device actually says 'Hz'? Doesn't it just say 1080i/25 or something if you press the info button on the Sony?
I browsed a couple off Finnish 'AV' forums the other day and all mention 50Hz broadcast (it would be impossible to send out a 25fps interlaced signal at 25Hz?).
But the question here with regards to Motionflow is (and has been from the get-go): does a 50Hz Sony (or any other brand) do interpolation after deinterlacing the signal? This is what 'needs' to be tested for the Motionflow topic :smashin: (which still seems incomplete after a few of the later comments with other setting combo's).

When you press the i+ button, the top one on the remote, it displays the channel info, number and also states 1080i/25hz. This is for all broadcasts except the SD channels which start 576i/25hz. Picture inbound.

IMG_20181223_122315.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom