Motion sickness issue - Recommend some games?

brydo666

Established Member
Reaction score
As far back as I can remember I've always had motion sickness issues with FPS and many 3D games, sadly rules out things like Call of Duty and Batman. I got Uncharted 4 with my PS4 and got a couple of chapters in but after about 30 minutes of gaming I need to turn it off.

I've tried a variety of things (Started with Half Life in the late 90's) and have generally accepted it now. Luckily things like the Wii U have been great but I've played all the side scrolling Mario games to the death... I had no issues with Mario 3D World and Mario Galaxy on the original Wii.

I'm looking for some game recommendations for the PS4... I can't wait for the remastered Crash Bandicoot and Sonic Mania next year which is part of the reason I bought the console. My mate recommended Shovel Knight last night and I played it for about 4 hours today. I'm thinking of picking up LittleBigPlanet also.

Interested in some recommendations... :)

Rayman Legends is a really good platform game. UNO is good if you don't already have the card game. Inside (and its predecessor, Limbo) are well received. How do you manage with games like Fifa? Road Not Taken is a puzzle game that I enjoyed playing. It's worth keeping an eye on some of the PlayStation Plus games, some of the indie titles might suit.

How do you manage with guitar hero or Singstar?

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Rayman Legends but finished that on the Xbox One. Inside looks good and I'll check that out - probably buy it given the low cost. :) Not a fan of football.

Good shout with Guitar Hero, I played all GH and RB titles issued on the Xbox 360 and really enjoyed them. Eyes go funny after each song but no nausea... I'll check out the recent release for the PS4.

Thanks for the recommendations. :)

Sounds like you'd get on well with PSVR :D

Stay away from Everybody's Gone To The Rapture! I also found watching people stream No Man's Sky made me feel a bit nauseous after an hour or so (genuinely) but I may have been mistaking intense sympathy for those who have been right royally conned, as sickness ;)

How about driving games?

Over the years I've tried sickness tablets, a pressure wristband, chewing ginger, ginger tablets and ginger beer with no success. I've come to accept it just isn't for me.

The only one time I forced myself to ignore it and play though was Portal 2 and I did end up being sick. :)

Over the years I've tried sickness tablets, a pressure wristband, chewing ginger, ginger tablets and ginger beer with no success. I've come to accept it just isn't for me.

The only one time I forced myself to ignore it and play though was Portal 2 and I did end up being sick. :)

Have you spoken to the doctor about it? Or seen an optician?

@brydo666 I've also been a sufferer all my life, which is why I can barely play any title in the first person perspective.

Good on you for playing Portal...I tried it once and lasted less than 5 minutes!

Any game in the 3rd Person I'm generally fine with, though I had real trouble with GTA 4 & 5.

I get the same feeling when watching home movies on things like You've Been Framed etc. when the camera is all over the shop. :/

Perhaps Tales series games such as Tales from the Borderlands?

I did play TWD when it was free on Xbox Live but didn't finish. Not sure why, probably work commitments but I may buy that for the PS4 and play it through.

Have you spoken to the doctor about it? Or seen an optician?

Optician yes, not for this issue but general eye tests yeah. Not mentioned to the doctor as I didn't think it was that important, I travel a lot with work by air and never have any sickness issues there.

@brydo666 I've also been a sufferer all my life, which is why I can barely play any title in the first person perspective.

Good on you for playing Portal...I tried it once and lasted less than 5 minutes!

Any game in the 3rd Person I'm generally fine with, though I had real trouble with GTA 4 & 5.

I get the same feeling when watching home movies on things like You've Been Framed etc. when the camera is all over the shop. :/

It's a real pain in the neck, especially when you enjoy games. The 3rd person one is interesting as some are hit and miss, Batman Arkham Asylum I couldn't play but Gears of War I could. I was able to play GTA V for some time, found it better when there was less on foot movement.

What kind of games are you playing at the moment? :)

What kind of games are you playing at the moment? :)

I just finished Tomb Raider (which was fantastic) and I was fine with that. I'm thinking of treating myself to either World of Final Fantasy or I am Setsuna next as I've had flu for the last week and can't face using the PSVR at the moment. :confused:

I'm not too bad with the VR games btw, but I daren't try some of the titles after reading posts on various forums from some people that have suffered. I really liked the look of Robinson: The Journey, but I think I'll be ill with it.

I suggest looking at many of the smaller PS4 titles, if you haven't done so already:

Filthy Lucre
Oceanhorn
Trine 1,2 & 3.
Unravel
Lara Croft & The Temple of Osiris
Never Alone
Dust: An Elysian Tale
CounterSpy
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Child of Light
Transistor

All of these are either 2D or based on an isometric viewpoint. Trine 3 is a 2D/3rd person hybrid but it's so slight that I doubt you'll have any problems with it, especially if you can handle Mario Galaxy (which I had quite a problem with).

They're all quality games too, and well worth their asking price. :smashin:

Appreciate that, I'll look at them all in detail. Oceanhorn reminds me of the first Toejam and Earl... those games still have a place in my heart!

Spent about 4-5 hours playing Unravel yesterday (Loaded with the cold) and really enjoying it, I've downloaded Oceanhorn too as it's on offer at the moment!

What about point and click adventure games, Sherlock Holmes, Broken Sword or Kings Quest.

I bought Broken Sword myself last month. It's very nostalgic to play in the 2D drawn art style again. It was the first game I played on PS1, having played a snippet of a demo disk I had from the official magazine.

I've always loved point and click adventures. The genre isn't what it was, but there are some modern gems.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom