Motion photos

Ger

I have a pair of photos that I want to edit into a movie, but first I would like to apply some motion effects like those used in the film "The Kid Stays in the Picture". It involves having certain subjects in the photo move within the frame independently of the rest of the picture to create a sense of movement. Does anyone wnow how this can be achieved? I have been mucking about with PSP8 and haven't had any success. Does anyone know?

In case my description of the effect is not clear, you can see it in the trailer for the film here. Thanks.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
It's a mixture of the 'Ken Burns Effect' and Parallax Scolling.

The bit in the swimming pool is probably the best example of this in the clip you posted.

It's not going to be easy to reproduce, unless you have some fairly tasty video editing software, and some fairly highly developed photoshop skills.

To do this you'll need to take your 2D image, split the image into 3 or more layers, for example your foreground will be one layer, the mid area the next, and the horizon the background layer.

To achieve the sense of depth and movement (Parallax Scolling) you'll need to move each layer at different speeds, the foreground the fastest, with the layers behind getting progressively slower. The problem comes when removing the foreground detail from the layer behind so you don't see it when moving them (if you see what I mean) The Ken Burns effect adds complication, because it's panning and zooming at the same time.

Good luck.

Ger

It's a mixture of the 'Ken Burns Effect' and Parallax Scolling.

The bit in the swimming pool is probably the best example of this in the clip you posted.

It's not going to be easy to reproduce, unless you have some fairly tasty video editing software, and some fairly highly developed photoshop skills.

To do this you'll need to take your 2D image, split the image into 3 or more layers, for example your foreground will be one layer, the mid area the next, and the horizon the background layer.

To achieve the sense of depth and movement (Parallax Scolling) you'll need to move each layer at different speeds, the foreground the fastest, with the layers behind getting progressively slower. The problem comes when removing the foreground detail from the layer behind so you don't see it when moving them (if you see what I mean) The Ken Burns effect adds complication, because it's panning and zooming at the same time.

Good luck.

Thanks. I didn't think it would be easy!

Any idea what software can do parallax scrolling? Iassume that hiding detail is achieved by enlarging the top layer and not scrolling too much(?)

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I didn't think it would be easy!

Any idea what software can do parallax scrolling? Iassume that hiding detail is achieved by enlarging the top layer and not scrolling too much(?)

You're going to need some fairly sophisticated software to pull this off. Have a look at Final Cut Pro for the Mac, or Adobe Premiere Pro for ther PC.

To create effective Parallax layers, you're going to have to do some photoshop work. The clone tool will be your best friends for this.

If you post the image you want to apply all this too, I'll show you what I mean.

hernando

Standard Member
what you need to do is to break the main picture apart and use Adobe After Effects to move things around ..

good luck

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom