1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motion on PW7 Screens

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Wild Rumpus, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm right on the edge of going ahead and buying a PW7. It was a tough choice, but in the end I have decided to get a 37" SD screen and to buy a projector when HD DVD comes on line.
    One concern, though, in What Hi-Fi's recent review of the 37" PW7 they mentioned that it wasn't particularly good (or smooth) at dealing with motion on the screen. Has anyone else seen this or is it the usual BS from What Hi Fi?

2. JIMMY

JIMMY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI GOT THE 42 PW7

motion on the screen IS GREAT
    ILL NOW HAD MINE FOR 4 MONTHS
    AND AM VERRY HAPPY WITH THE SCREEN
    JIM :thumbsup:

3. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Got the PW6. I was worried about motion blur because the two plasmas I looked at prior to my purchase did have motion blur; not so noticeable on the LG42PX11 but very noticeable on the HiSense (Comet brand)...even when people simply turned their head.

Can't say I've noticed it at all on the PW6..even with football. Doubt you'll be disappointed.

4. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got the 42" PWD7 and fast moving scene's are fine, no problems at all, Had mine for 5-6 months and really really happy with it. It's now £500 cheaper than it was then via AV Sales

5. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    no probs at all footbal is perfect.

6. Slimline

Slimline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I were you, I would take a DVD with motion you're familiar with down to a retailer and have them play it on a PW7 so you can judge for yourself.

I just got a PWD7 from AV-Sales (who do seem to have the best deal on them at the moment, and whose service was perfect). I've not watched much on it yet (it only arrived on the weekend) and it obviously hasn't been run in yet, but watching LOTR it seemed to me that some of the swooping camera shots became noticeably soft in motion. Perhaps that's the source, perhaps it's the fact I'm using s-video till my component DVD arrives, or perhaps I'm being unduly critical - the screen may deal with this as well as or better than all the alternatives. But I would recommend having a look before you buy.

7. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Using S-Video between my Sky+ box and 37PWD7 gives 'soft' results...

... but I must admit I have seen no problems at all with motion blur on a variety of material from a variety of sources

8. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The swooping camera shots on LOTR are ones where I have noticed problems before (not on my current CRT), ironically I noticed this at the Cinema (they must be using a digital projector). I'll see if I can get a dem.

9. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    we have a pw4 in our pub and its primary use is obviously sports. the picture is nothing short of stunning, from normal to far away distances it is like looking through a window, no blur whatsoever. I can only assume that the pw5-6-7 has built on this!

On another subject it annoys me when people come in first thing when im watching "a car is born" or something else with shoddy PQ, and they say "cor, blimey, the pictures stunning isnt it!" purely because it is a plasma.

10. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, I bought a 37" PW7 Screen from RS in Glasgow (with the extended warranty for £99), a Component input card and JS RGB to component converter from AV Sales (Excellent service). Hooked all of this together with video switching courtesy of my 3805 receiver. Everything worked without any fiddling and the DVD picture is excellent even on the "running in" settings, I can see details on DVD (Denon 3910 player) that were not visible on my Hitachi 28" CRT. No real evidence of the motion problems mentioned in What Hi-Fi.
    Thanks to everyone who gave advice on the forum, without it I might have spent more and enjoyed it less :D

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    which pub is that matie?..

and I have no discernable probs with either my PW7 or PWD7 with motion blur