Motion Judder on SKY....

p1dg1n

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a LG 32 5700 - its 1080x1920 / 50Hz
i have SKY+HD with Movies...

ive noticed on all channels that when camera pans left/right there is motion judder - this is like 3:2 Pulldown judder - but there shouldnt be any as SKY is broadcasting 50hz....

for e.g. i watched PLANET EARTH and when camera panned diagonally along some snowy dunes there was a lot of flicker ... when watching movies or programs and camera pans left/right it judders and looks horrible.... - if I pause it you can see the mix of two frames....

its obviously down to interlacing.....

my last LCD was a cheapo BUSH 32" and it used to just BLUR these scenes bu i think I would prefer slight blur that hides judder than have it clear and notice the judder/flicker....

does this mean my TV is has a crap de-interlacer/processor?
or do all TV's get this?

I dont have Blu-Ray yet and NO it doesnt have 24p either

thanks

Is this with HD or SD content? Or both?

And which HD box have you got?

Pausing the sky box doens't necessarily prove what's happening as its output changes when you do that.

Sorry to hijack I am wondering if a EDGE would help me with sky judder on my 6 series panny plasma?

you know the old sky news ticker drive you mad thing??

Sorry to hijack I am wondering if a EDGE would help me with sky judder on my 6 series panny plasma?

you know the old sky news ticker drive you mad thing??

What Sky box are you using and how is it connected to the display ?

PReP can resolve issues with the Bloomberg news channels i.e. combing/stutter on the ticker depending on what else is in the frame.

AVI

It is an original Thomson. I have it connected via component, but wanted to connect via hdmi.

So I bought a vision hdmi>vga box, however this would not work as sky said my tv was not compatible and asked me to remove the hdmi cable!!

I also have a appletv,sony blu ray all connected via hdmi > vision into the plasma.

Or would I be better off getting a 50g10 plasma?

Last edited:
It is an original Thomson. I have it connected via component, but wanted to connect via hdmi.

So I bought a vision hdmi>vga box, however this would not work as sky said my tv was not compatible and asked me to remove the hdmi cable!!

I also have a appletv,sony blu ray all connected via hdmi > vision into the plasma.

Or would I be better off getting a 50g10 plasma?

Does this mean you plan to use the Edge between the Sky unit and Vision HDMI/VGA box as the Edge has only HDMI output?

Sorry I'm not familiar with your display but does the display/vision box support 50hz over VGA ?

AVI

well ive since purchased another TV and result is same, Ive also took the SKY+HD Samsung unit to my Dads and used on his Samsung and result is exact same

so on
LG 32LG5700 LCD
LG 32LH3000 LCD
Sasmung 32" LCD

the SKY+HD box judders when pans left/right

this means its the SKY box and not the TV's surely - its mostly with HD content

its mostly with HD content
Is it on the BBC or on Discovery channel and the likes?

Since the launch of Sky HD I've seen problems with pans on HD channels that are broadcasting content that was shot in 24 frames per second -- i.e. American sourced programmes -- but do not see the problem on BBC who shoot at 25 frames per second.

I suspect that the 24p-to-25p or 60i-to-50i conversion process uses by the channels introduces the judder, and it's only visible in horizontal pans.

StooMonster

From what snadge said in a thread in the Sky HD forum, I think he's getting this with movies, which I've never seen, but I wonder if it's just 25fps judder.

The 60 (or is it 24 as you say?) to 50Hz conversions on Disco & Nat Geo are indeed horrendous.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom