Motion Interpolation on PJ?

Roku2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do standard HD projectors have a motion interpolation tool like most LED TVs do? I really like the anti-judder/soap opera effect and I was wondering if there was a way to mimic that effect on my HD projectors

Hi

Yes most do, but the quality varies. But I'd recommend getting a demo as some models are terrible (e.g. It looks unnaturally smooth with accompanying artifacts), and in fact most people on here hate the effect, which is fair enough as it does alter the image from the original. Having said that I find the natural 24 frame jitter unbearable on a large screen so I like interpolation when set to low, as it takes the edge off horizontal pans etc - any higher though and it just looks too unnatural.

The Sony models always provide excellent and subtle interpolation in their mildest modes - my HW50 is great in this regard.

Cheers

Hi

Yes most do, but the quality varies. But I'd recommend getting a demo as some models are terrible (e.g. It looks unnaturally smooth with accompanying artifacts), and in fact most people on here hate the effect, which is fair enough as it does alter the image from the original. Having said that I find the natural 24 frame jitter unbearable on a large screen so I like interpolation when set to low, as it takes the edge off horizontal pans etc - any higher though and it just looks too unnatural.

The Sony models always provide excellent and subtle interpolation in their mildest modes - my HW50 is great in this regard.

Cheers
What is it usally called on the Display Menu? I cant find it on neither of my PJ's. I own an Optoma 37 and a Vivitek 1086.
Do they give it a different name in the projectors world?

Yes they tend to be different - Sony's is motionflow, and I think JVC use the term clear motion. Anything with 'motion' in it is probably a good bet! Some models don't feature it, especially budget ones - I think Epson for example don't include the feature on anything but their higher end models. But it's been around for a long time, so the older Sanyo and Panasonic 1080p LCD projectors that did it well (e.g. PTAE5000, PLV-Z3000) should be available very cheaply on eBay.

I cant find the motion interpolation tool anywhere in neither of mt two projectors...This is frustrating:(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom