Motion Blurr On Sharp 32p50e?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by idb, Nov 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. idb

idb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Sharp P3250E. Good set for £799, however I have noticed that on "some" panning it's not silky smooth, like my CRT. In What Hi Fi they say to look at the teleprinter on sky sports for an indication on how smooth the tv produces movement. On this set it is slightly jurky, is this the same with all LCD's?

I have this set on loan and could change it for a Philips or Panasonic. Is it a case of the more your spent the less jurky it is?

Thanks

IDB

2. Jim Barry

Jim Barry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Have you tried changing the I/P setting to "interlaced"? It should give a smoother result than "progressive", still not as good as CRT though. No LCD can currently match CRT for interlaced sources, not even the P50. The Philips Aptura scanning backlight may improve things, whenever that comes out.

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I'm afraid all LCDs suffer from jerky movement during camera panning although this isn't what you call motion blur, that's something entirely different and is usually due to a poor response time. Looking at the Sky teleprinter isn't a good example of the panning effect you need to see a TV programme where a fixed camera pans around a room for example and you'll see just how unsmooth this can sometimes be.

4. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I switched off the Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) on my 37" P50 and improved the jerkiness no end, especially when watching footie.

5. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you started this thread idb. I had some serious jerking during panning scenes yesterday. Had not tried interlaced, but did turn off DNR. Will try that tonight.

There are a couple of other points I'd be grateful for a comment on.

1) Some DVDs, House Of Flying Daggers, The Incredibles look amazing. However, these look like they are letterbox (is that right?) i.e. do not fill the whole screen. They are in full mode, when I change to 16:9, the picture becomes a little hazy. Saw for example, fills the screen by default and I was a little disappointed with the picture (I am going to test it on my other telly tonight to make sure its not the dvd)
    2) When I reduce the picture to 'normal' mode, I get a crystal clear (but obviously) tiny picture. I am having sky installed tomorrow...I'm wondering how much of a difference this will make. Do you guys with the 37" have crystal clear pictures on ITV, BBC etc?
    3) Will having sky normalise the colour/sound across channels. I find a big difference between ITV and BBC one.
    4) It wont auto switch on component...nuttin in the manual.
    5) Despite constant tinkering, DVDs are great, but I can't seem to get rid of an overally red colour on SD.

Any help gratefully appreciated...

TIA...Dave

6. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Mosts DVD movies have a 2.35:1 ratio not 16:9 so you will still get a letterbox if you are watching the full image as the director intended. Also some DVDs are a better quality than others, this is just down to the DVD encoding.

I've had the the 37" for a number of weeks now and the picture through Sky is great, however there's no such thing as crystal clear TV images, again some programmes are better than others and LCD tends to bring out the worst in a poorly recorded source.

I can't comment on 3 and 4, seems OK to me. As far as 5 is concerned there a number of threads with various settings posted, you could try looking at these for comparison. Personally I leave Colour Temp at Middle and Tint 0, Colour -8 and tis gives the best colour reproduction in my eyes, I've also used DVE to configure these settings.

7. Gordon D

Gordon D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just wondering have you set your DVD to output 16:9 or is it set to 4:3 Letterbox?

8. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. Appreciate your help and will let you know how I get on!

Will check the DVD. Its the Tosh 350...but its driving me mad! Apart from the blue light you can't turn off (some have smashed the leds, or covered it with gaffer tape!), its starts up with subtitles on every disk and at 1080i. Gets very frustrating to change it to 576p and remove the subtitles :(

back to the manual, forums and then customer support me thinks!

9. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry next question....SKY+ box is arriving tomorrow. Is it worth getting an RGB scart + rca cable or will a standard scart (thinking of QED for either) suffice?

TIA...Dave

10. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    A reasonably priced standard scart will be fine. No need to spend silly money, ie, £40+. I use a Supra FS for Sky+ which does a nice job and is highly recommended: http://www.futurehome.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=389

11. Jim Barry

Jim Barry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes, most TV is broadcast with nasty sharpening filters, leading to an unpleasant so-called "edge enhancement" effect. Also, the bitrate for digital TV is far too low, resulting in obvious MPEG compression artifacts. These effects are masked somewhat by the inherent fuzziness of CRT, but are all too evident with LCD.

Colour Temp at the medium setting seems OK to me too. Tint is only relevant to NTSC. The default colour saturation is way too high and I have this set to a similar level to you (in fact slightly lower at -10). This seems to remove the excessive redness from faces and such like without the colour becoming washed out.

Edit: Oops, I had assumed that the tint setting was just for adjusting NTSC colour shift, but actually it works all the time. Pushing it towards green does reduce the excessive redness seen at the default setting.

12. idb

idb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your comments, I will make the changes to the setting tonight. Also are Plasma's better in terms of jerking? Also if I was to buy an expensive LCD would it be that much better.

Thanks

IDB

13. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    No, all panels that output a progressive picture will suffer to a greater or lesser extent, plasmas are not immune nor will an expensive LCD be.

14. antiquezander

antiquezander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone on this forum I also recently purchased the Sharp 32p50e. I am very pleased with it and am just getting my head round all the settings (again thanks to you all on different threads for this). Some thoughts:

1. I thought it unwise to buy a more expensive lcd at the moment, with so much unknown with Sky and HDTV at this stage, especially in my case as I have no intention of getting Sky, even if the world cup was broadcast in HD. In view of how much LCD's have come down in price in the past few years I think this TV is the perfect price point to enter the home cinema world and lerge scale TV wathing.

2. I have come to accept already that its no good watching some tv which has been recorded on a poor source and expecting a tv to remedy that, I will just be selective as to what I watch and then not be dissapointed.

3. Regarding DVD, I am just using an old Sony, which I think does not have rgb output, so am not expecting too much, I am thining of getting the new Denon S-301 with its HDMI connection to get the most out of the TV.

My only question at this stage is whether my feeeview signal is normal?? I have the Pace twin freeview box, and a brand new aerial, along with a QED aerial lead. The Pace has an option to disply signal strength whcih seems to show at 70%. Does anyone else have a similar story about signal strength, even with my limited knowledge I can't help thinking that if I had 90% or mor even the poorlyu recorded souces that I mentioned could look alot better.

15. Gordon D

Gordon D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Don't think it would make any difference.. the thing with digital is you either get a signal or your don't... it might only help with the number of channels you can get..

16. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got Sky+ today and its renewed my faith in the P50 :) Superb picture on most channels and with the freebie scart. See point 3 or my earlier post. Beats my old crt stone dead.

Some channels are a bit pants, but heh. Oh and the Sky+ box makes a rather annoying clicking sound. I looked at the sky forum after, but seems I got the amstrad box :(

Just need to get dvds properly sorted now :)

Thanks again for all your help guys...really appreciate it. Dave

17. Jim Barry

Jim Barry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    RGB is essential - it gives a huge improvement over composite video. HDMI is ideal, being completely lossless, though with a good quality SCART lead it is quite hard to tell the difference IMHO. The major benefit of HDMI is its ability to carry HD formats.

No, an increase in signal strength will not improve the picture quality. With digital, either it is working or it is breaking up. At the moment I am getting 70-85% and I live in an area with very strong reception. 50% would be perfectly respectable. As long as your error rate is 1.000E-9 (which is the Pace's smallest representable number, meaning "no errors"), you are OK.