Motion Blur: what's the problem?

Ramspeed

Established Member
Reaction score
There's been alot of debate and anxiety over LCD's tendency to blur fast motion on these forums. I've become confused. Here's why. I just downloaded some WMV HD clips (@ 720p) and watched them on my laptop (Tosh Satellite 2005 model). Perfect. Fabulous. No motion blur. No smearing. I don't understand. The laptop has a 15" widescreen LCD panel. Surely it can't be any better than all that high tech stuff packed into the latest LCD TV's from Panansonic/JVC etc? So why do people complain of motion blur on expensive LCD TV's and I get none on my middle of the range laptop?

Is it because even minor shortcomings in the image are greatly magnified by larger screens? Or is it because most people have only fed their LCD's SD TV and DVD and very few people have actually seen 720p images on LCD's and in actual fact LCD's don't really produce motion blur when displaying a HD progressive feed @ 720p and above?

Unconfuse me please.

I can think of a few reasons (athough if anyone else can think of any more, or would like to correct me, please feel free to do so! ;) ):

1. LCD technology has been borrowed from the IT world; this in turn means that LCD technology in TV panels would be somewhat behind cutting edge LCD monitors used on PCs.

2. The response times on LCD monitors are superior to those on LCD TV panels.

3. Production costs of such large LCD TVs with the same specs and using the same technologies as used in the newest LCD monitors are just too high.

Add the above to the amplification of affects (that you've mentioned)experienced on larger screens, and you get complaints about smearing.

Although LCD TV technology is catching up with Monitor technology at an ever increasing speed, the fact remains (for now) that technology used in LCD TV is still behind Monitor technology.

However, there are technologies that are unique to the LCD tv world that claim to give the TV the cutting edge; most notably the scanning back light technology being developed by Philips.

Ben

The motion blur is only visible on really fast games i think, haven't seen it during normal viewing conditions except on poor analogue feeds...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom