Motion blur sending me insane !!

rosscopecotrain

Standard Member
Reaction score
Really hoping someone can help me here.

Recently I’ve become really sensitive to any motion displayed by the tv to the point it makes me feel sick . I sold a Panasonic CR430b 55” because I thought that was the problem and bought a LG 55B7V because I thought that would be the best bet , but even with oled it’s still driving me nuts. I’ve tried pretty much every possible combination of trumotion settings , I’ve let me denon receiver do the upscaling , let the tv do the upscaling , tried different resolution through my sky Hd box. I’m now at the point where I’m about to return the oled and try another tv , before I do has anyone else been In the same boat ? Any tips ? And apart from plasma , if I were to buy a new tv are there any suggestions , maybe something with BFI ?

How far are you from the TV?

That slightly closer than I am to mine. Do you have an option to try watching from a meter further back? Do you get the issue in a THX cinema (mid rows or forward of that)?

I'm watching same TV at 55" from 2.7m and these days its quite normal for people to have 65" TV at that distance. I used to have an 80" projector and that never bothered me, but it was nowhere near as bright. Maybe try different picture modes (darker ones) - particularly the dark room or cinema.

I do wonder if it is the TV size, though you have had that size for at least a year or two, so you should be used to it, but then these effects can be cumulative in some people - ie they just get worse and you don't get used to it and instead need a long break (several days to a week).

It may also be worth seeking a medical opinion - a GP should (in theory) have a far better idea of the eye motion perception issues than any of us (if you are lucky enough to have a useful GP).

You have a different reaction to TVs than most of us, so from a brief description it's very difficult to guess what the problem may be.

Have you ever had a TV that you did feel comfortable with? Have previous technologies such as Plasma and CRT produced similar effects? What about 3D TVs or smaller TVs?

Thanks for your replies

Unfortunately I don’t have the option to sit any further back to test although when at a friends house who’s sitting position is further back I don’t tend to suffer from it although I’ve never really sat back and tried to enjoy a film or tv while there . I’ve always sat on the very back row at cinemas so unable to say as to whether it happens close to the screen in a cinema.

I have made an appointment for an eye test but a trip to the GP may also be worthwhile.

I had a 47” LG led a while back and I remember having problems with it but after a few days of messing with the settings I got to a point where I didn’t notice the blur and could sit comfortably in front of it , so maybe the size does have something to do with it , that or if something is wrong with me it’s got considerably worse since then !

I think I’m going to arrange to return the oled and look into getting a smaller set. From doing a bit of research Sony seem to be about the best at motion handling, if that doesn’t work then its at the point where I’ll have to give up tv and read books for the rest of my life !

I think it is a “sample and hold sickness”. You may use to it, or just find a bfi or backlight scanning device, or stick with a second hand plasma.

If you're susceptible to motion handling (ooh err missus)...then Sony are the best...the processing is very smooth...so if you're looking at the XE9005 stay with 55"
I've always had Sony's until my latest TV LG65EF950v, the motion handling/ frame skips drove me mad at first...used to Sony's you see...But I settled on my own user settings with trumotion (about 18 months ago) most of the time its fine....sort of...

If you're susceptible to motion handling (ooh err missus)...then Sony are the best...the processing is very smooth...so if you're looking at the XE9005 stay with 55"
I've always had Sony's until my latest TV LG65EF950v, the motion handling/ frame skips drove me mad at first...used to Sony's you see...But I settled on my own user settings with trumotion (about 18 months ago) most of the time its fine....sort of...
You think stick with the 55" ? I was going to go 49" but it's a shame as the 55" is only £150 more.

I'd definitely try the 55 first.. there's nothing worse than down sizing...it would feel like you've purchased a portable! [emoji32]

Have you tried turning all settings to off for things that are so called to help with motion
I have done that on my tv and don't get any blur in motion watching my movie collection and streaming tv and movies from my media players

If you have an issue with both LCD and OLED then you may be having a problem generally with sample and hold displays. Unfortunately, all LCDs and OLEDs are sample and hold. Although, OLEDs dont suffer from blur induced by pixel changes as their pixel transition is more or less instantaneous - whereas LCD pixel transitions typically take 10 to 30 milliseconds.

A display with BFI, such as Sony LCD (or an OLED with BFI), may help.
Coming from a series of plasmas (I still have a last gen plasma in one room) I am really happy with the motion on my Sony ZD9.

However, I find true BFI on my Sony ZD9 unbearable and would agree with the following review from HDTV Test:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd65zd9-201610164372.htm
"Cranking [Clearness] to “Max” activates black frame insertion (BFI) but locks out the [Smoothness] control. While this resulted in supremely sharp motion without interpolation artefacts or soap opera effect, the picture became overly dim and flickery, making it unwatchable."

I do use "Clearness" but at a lower setting or 1 or 2. If you set it to Max a message comes up saying that the display will be flickery and dim. Interestingly setting it to max is the only value where you can fully resolve the details in the UFO motion test below. This is a test designed to show the impact of sample and hold blur. With BFI enabled you can clearly see, even when your eye is following the moving UFO, that the white lines and black squares are separate - as you do when looking at the stationary UFO. Without BFI your eye (not the display itself) blurs the black and white into grey when following the moving UFO.

TestUFO: Eyetracking

I've learnt to live with it. Coming from a plasma the juddery motion of sample and hold, and especially OLEDs is jarring, but I've made my peace. That said, watching filmed content, with the natural motion blur that creates, looks far better than 30fps video games (which may or may not have software motion blur). The judder is so bad in some games that I'm seriously considering an NVidia Shield so I can stream games from my PC at 60fps.

I don’t see any motion blur on my Panasonic OLED. And like most I’ve come from a plasma and I’ve certainly noticed it on LCDs in the past.

Thanks for your replies

Unfortunately I don’t have the option to sit any further back to test although when at a friends house who’s sitting position is further back I don’t tend to suffer from it although I’ve never really sat back and tried to enjoy a film or tv while there . I’ve always sat on the very back row at cinemas so unable to say as to whether it happens close to the screen in a cinema.

I have made an appointment for an eye test but a trip to the GP may also be worthwhile.

I had a 47” LG led a while back and I remember having problems with it but after a few days of messing with the settings I got to a point where I didn’t notice the blur and could sit comfortably in front of it , so maybe the size does have something to do with it , that or if something is wrong with me it’s got considerably worse since then !

I think I’m going to arrange to return the oled and look into getting a smaller set. From doing a bit of research Sony seem to be about the best at motion handling, if that doesn’t work then its at the point where I’ll have to give up tv and read books for the rest of my life !

Go to the opticians and ensure you get checked not just for distance but for astigmatism. If you astigmatism is not correct or, your prescription has changed if already corrected, then you will be sensitive to any motion anomalies. This is because astigmatism is the result of lens distortion on the eye so light is not refracted evenly thus, distorting images. One of the symptom of minor astigmatism and why its become more of an issue now is that it can cause flicker sensitivity on LCD computer screens and motion on digital screens even when it does not cause issues with normal 'real world' viewing

An uncorrected or miscorrected astigmatism will make moving objects and flicker more noticeable. You see with your brain the eyes are a lens, if you only have a minor astigmatism with no short or long sight, your brain will correct any minor distortion but will struggle more with moving objects and even more with artificially projected motion eg. sample and hold or even BFI.

If you don't have short sight or long sight, your optician may not pick up astigmatism that requires correction in a standard eye test. So make sure you mention your reason for your eye test and get a Keratometry or even better a Corneal Topography (electronic eyeball measurement) done as part of your eye test. The free eye tests at Specsavers and the like might not cut it or offer this service so check that its included in you test before going.

Recently I’ve become really sensitive to any motion displayed by the tv to the point it makes me feel sick . I sold a Panasonic CR430b 55” because I thought that was the problem and bought a LG 55B7V because I thought that would be the best bet , but even with oled it’s still driving me nuts. I’ve tried pretty much every possible combination of trumotion settings , I’ve let me denon receiver do the upscaling , let the tv do the upscaling , tried different resolution through my sky Hd box. I’m now at the point where I’m about to return the oled and try another tv , before I do has anyone else been In the same boat ? Any tips ? And apart from plasma , if I were to buy a new tv are there any suggestions , maybe something with BFI ?
What firmware version are you using?!
On FW 04.70.10 the motion was improved, install it and give it a try.
Some fixes where applied to 24 and 50hz content.

@rosscopecotrain on my 55B7 i have this set via the Settings button on the remote

ALL SETTINGS - PICTURE MODE SETTINGS - PICTURE OPTIONS - TRUE MOTION(set to CLEAR)

I have this set on ALL my Picture Modes that i use(ISF bright, Cinema, Cinema HDR, Cinema DV). Doing this i have ZERO motion blur/judder!

When True motion(clear) is off it starts to judder!

@rosscopecotrain on my 55B7 i have this set via the Settings button on the remote

ALL SETTINGS - PICTURE MODE SETTINGS - PICTURE OPTIONS - TRUE MOTION(set to CLEAR)

I have this set on ALL my Picture Modes that i use(ISF bright, Cinema, Cinema HDR, Cinema DV). Doing this i have ZERO motion blur/judder!

When True motion(clear) is off it starts to judder!
Clear is really fluid...however, like all Tm settings, it does give some pretty bad artefacts most of the time.

a lot of people settle for something like Dejudder 4, Deblur 0. This will basically remove that strobing effect you get from oled tech sometimes, but obviously still gives you artefacts from interpolation.

I think most people just turn tm off and use rc for movies.

I really struggle to find a nice compromise with tm....tried all kinds of settings....I really like that smooth silky look, but can't stand the artefacts that you get with it, so I normally have it off....you do get used to the movie judder after a while :)

Strobing effect? I haven’t seen any of that on mine.

I was at a OLED shootout last night...If it was me from what I've seen I would return the B7 if you can and get the Philip instead. The processing capabilities were insane and such a smooth image...If you are sensitive to motion blur definitely avoid the Sony....As an LG owner I must admit that I've not experienced it on my C6 model but the C7 I saw last night definitely was worse...Not as bad as the Sony...but the Pansonic was slightly better, and the Philips was just on a different planet, it was absolutely superb....If it wasn't for the lack of 3D I'd change my LG C6 for it...

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom