Question Motion Blur and Tearing on New Monitor

mudddy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've bought a new monitor and I''m getting significant motion blur and some screen tear. I've tried it my PC and now an Xbox One, the motion blur was evident on both. Can this be eliminated by adjusting any settings? The model is Samsung LC27T550FDUXEN. Is worth returning and getting it replaced with another of the same model, or is it likely they'll all be like this one.

" Sadly, motion looks blurry due to its slow response time, and it doesn't have a black frame insertion feature to improve the appearance of motion either."

from the manual - game mode ?

Game Mode
Configure the product screen settings for game mode.
Use this feature when playing games on a PC or when a game console such as PlayStation™ or Xbox™
is connected.
― This menu is not available when Eye Saver Mode is enabled.
― When the product turns off, enters power-saving mode or changes input sources, Game Mode turns Off
even if it is set to On.
― If you want to keep Game Mode enabled all the time, select Always On

Are you seeing tearing in everything on the PC or just games?

Tearing is generally not a fault, just a side effect of the way a game renders frames at a variable frame rate and a monitor displays then at a fixed frame rate. You'd either have to enable V-sync or similar to reduce the game's frame rate to match the screen or use a variable refresh rate technology (adaptive sync/Freesync) if supported by your graphics card (IIRC the Xbox One supports it).

If you're seeing tearing on everything then something has gone wrong somewhere.

Motion reproduction/smoothness is a trickier subject with various aspects. If you're mostly noticing blur in transitions involving darker shades then that's common on Samsung's VA-type LCDs and just a characteristic of that monitor.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes the motion blur is mostly in games, but was also visible when just scrolling on a webpage. For example with each notch on the mouse scroll wheel, you can detect the screen jerk up.

My normal PC monitor is a 144hz MSI and going from that to this Samsung, the difference was pretty obvious.

I've bought this primarily for the Xbox so I'll try the setting it on Game mode to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes the motion blur is mostly in games, but was also visible when just scrolling on a webpage. For example with each notch on the mouse scroll wheel, you can detect the screen jerk up.

My normal PC monitor is a 144hz MSI and going from that to this Samsung, the difference was pretty obvious.

I've bought this primarily for the Xbox so I'll try the setting it on Game mode to see if it makes a difference.

In monitor settings try changing overdrive to faster or fastest, the fastest option might introduce other visual side effects though.

Given the review of the monitor I'd return it. Have a look at PC monitors info 32" recommendations

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom