1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motion artifact with HiDef upscaling - line halving?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by project, Aug 7, 2005.

1. project

project

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All
    I have just registered after lurking for long enough to make a reasoned choice of purchases to complete my Hi Def projector setup. I have a Panasonic AE700 projector and have used it with 1280x720 DVI/HDMI output from my HTPC as well as my Samsung HD850 DVD player.
    I like a large picture so project about nine feet wide onto an end wall of the lounge and sit about ten feet away. A little near but I really have little problem with seeing indiviual pixels.
    However, although it does not disturb me, with both HTPC and DVD player I notice that when objects (or people) move in the scene, the moving part seems to change from smooth seemingly high resolution into something where horizontal lines are very obvious. It is as though the vertical resolution halves say from 720 to say 360 lines.
    I have searched through the forums and not found any mention of this. It may be a simple artifact due to the DVD or PC upscaling the picture.
    Any suggestions?

2. rockhard

rockhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah shrink the PQ down to 7 feet wide and get a real screen Da-lite HCCV will do...IMHO

Staying all digital will lessen artifacts by removing one DA/AD conversion ...

I find sometimes the source can be the reason you see macro blocking issue .
    So we are not actually watching native HDTV but upscaling DVD with HTPC and or HD-850 ? What you are describing sounds like MACRO BLOCKING issue and if you do a search on http://www.avsforum.com you will get alot of information on upscaling issues..

3. jriihi

jriihi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or maybe reported AE700 lcd issue vertical badding? With PC there should be no macroblocking issue visible..

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,001
    Are you saying that when someone moves they get serated shards of lines appearing on their sides?

If so it's a de-interlacing artefact caused by how your HD player is working. Check for the modes of de-interlacing it can do. You probably want to set it to BOB if that is available and it'll remove that problem.

Gordon

5. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    Yeah Gordon is right - if you have an HTPC, especially if using ffdshow, try changing all the different deinterlacing methods - there's about 20 so one should work :)

6. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome Project,
    You need to check firmware version and confirm 1.07, this is been covered numerous times on this forum and other forums.
    If 1.03 or 1.05, you need to update to 1.07.
    If you already have 1.07 then HDMI Cable run issues may apply :)

7. project

project

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your responses. I will check the version to see if it is 1.07.
    I had a closer look at it last night. Using Samsung DVD850 at 720p and HDMI connection.
    If asked to describe it again I would say that for static objects or those moving slowly, they are displayed in great and complete detail. When something moves or there is a pan, these objects are displayed clearly as a set of visible lines on the screen, as though these objects are somehow displayed with say half as many lines compared with the rest of the scene.