Motion artifact or defective LCD in projector ?

zook09

Novice Member
Hi,
I am new to projectors.
I had been using Samsung SP-H03 pico projector for watching movies and such until recently, since it started to show stars on the projected screen - stuck micromirrors on the DLP.
I might be moving to a house where I intend to buy a TV or a decent projector, so for the time being I went ahead and got one of those cheap eBay projector as a temporary measure.
The colors are not as saturated and the projection has quite visible screen door effect. I hope I will be able to bear this for the next few months, till I move.
But one artifact I observed when there is some relatively fast motion on the screen. There is a slanted cut line visible from top center to lower left corner. Always at the same place. During slow movements in videos, it doesnt occur. Attaching a screenshot from the video I took.
if someone can take a look and advise whether the LCD is going to die soon or is defective, or is it some motion artifact.
Its the generic RD-805 model, btw.

A video showing the slanted line during a movie with fast movement.
slanted line.mp4 (10.54MB) - SendSpace.com

A video showing the wavy moving interference like noise, clearly visible on a gray background.
wavy lines-1.mp4 (4.73MB) - SendSpace.com

Thanks

Attachments

• slanted line movie.png
    slanted line movie.png
    304.7 KB · Views: 94

stevelup

Distinguished Member
That's as good as those projectors get I'm afraid. The reason for your second issue is that they convert everything to composite internally.

The first one is certainly weird though!

You'd be far better off picking up a cheap second hand 'proper' projector.

cypher007

according to a comment on trusted reviews:

Please do not Buy Samsung SP-H03 PICO Projector. This is really a very bad product. The product life is very short - within a few uses you will notice White/Black spots on screen and eventually complete screen will be filled with these dots and you will not be able to see image at all. Further the unit does not support most of the JPEG formats and MPEG formats. It also cannot read all USB/Micro SD cards. PLEASE DO NOT BUY. WASTE OF MONEY

just a thought can you try feeding it a 60hz signal from a pc or laptop, this may reduce the artifacting?

zook09

Novice Member
according to a comment on trusted reviews:
Please do not Buy Samsung SP-H03 PICO Projector.
just a thought can you try feeding it a 60hz signal from a pc or laptop, this may reduce the artifacting?
Thanks for your reply.
About the Samsung SP-H03 - it lasted me 3.5 yrs and it was second hand, so I think it was used for about 6mths or so before I bought it. I did expect more since the DLP is from TI and has an LED light source. But for the price I paid, it did its job.

For this eBay projector, I was tinkering with the multiple screen settings in NVidia Graphics control, but when I put in 60 Hz refresh for the projector, it automatically goes back to 85 Hz.
Though the native resolution of the projector is supposed to be ~ 840x480, it is detected as ~ 1000 x ..
I think for my Laptop screen, the refresh rate is already 60 Hz, but I will check again.
The projector setting had something like "Phase" somewhere, but since there is no manual, I will see if changing that makes a difference.

The funny thing is this wavy artifact mostly occurs after the projector has been on for sometime, so i wonder if its heating up has anything to do with it. But actually it doesn't heat up a lot for its size.

That's as good as those projectors get I'm afraid. The reason for your second issue is that they convert everything to composite internally.
The first one is certainly weird though!
You'd be far better off picking up a cheap second hand 'proper' projector.
Thanks for your reply.
I am afraid you might be right. If I am spending this much money, I should bear with it.
I am just holding off myself from going and buying some LG/Asus or the new Sony MP-CL1.

The slanted line thing now seems to be really a defective LCD screen.
Can you explain "they convert everything to composite internally" further ?
I tried to change the multiple screen settings for the projector by selecting GPU instead of Internal, but I think it was not accepted.
Similarly the automatic refresh rate seemed stuck at 85 Hz and did not accept 60 Hz.

cypher007

is there any firmware for it? also the wavy line effect might be something heating up. could be worth opening the lid and putting a 120mm pc fan blowing on it.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
I don't know how to say this without coming across as rude.

The thing you have bought is complete crap. See if you can return it.

Once you've returned it, buy a cheap second hand 'real' projector.

zook09

Novice Member
Hehe stevelup,
I agree with you partially :)

btw.. now I used an HDMI cable to connect the laptop to projector instead of VGA and the image quality is much improved. I do not see the wavy lines artifact anymore.
Now the main problem is the slanted line which occurs on fast motion - that is probably a defective LCD itself and I am seeing if I can get a replacement.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom