Mothman Prophicies, RCE and Aspect Ratios

Matthew Attoe

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just been checking out various online retailers to buy the R1 Mothman Prophicies, as I want to buy a R1 RCE disk just to check that my new Sony NS900 WILL play RCE disks. It's been modded to, but out of curiosity I just want to see it work for myself! My questions are as follows.

1) Some of the e-tailers list the film as being RCE others don't mention it. Can anyone confirm if it is or isn't.

2) Aspect ratios - this is strange. Some places are listing it as 2.35:1 (play 247). Others (CD-WOW) are listing it as 1.85:1 on one side of the disc and regular 4:3 on the other! Can anyone confirm which is correct? Or are they both correct and I've just got to decide which one to buy (will go for 2.35:1 it that's the case)

Hope someone can help me out here,

Cheers

Matthew

It's not RCE

It's 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen on one side and 4:3 on the flip. So both of them are half right:rolleyes:

I watched it at the weekend, but you're better off waiting for the UK disc in a couple of months as it's actually got some extras for around the same price. The R1's pretty much movie-only.

Thanks Rambo,

Not really to worried about the film, just wanted to get an RCE disk to checck my player with, and hadn't seen Mothman, so eemed the best of a poor choice.

Saying that, did you think it was any good?

Wonder why play list it as RCE?

Cheers,

Matthew

Play play it safe and list any Columbia Tristar disc as RCE because CT said when they introduced it that they were going to be encoding it onto all their discs (in fact they rarely seem to use it these days). It's basically a way of covering their arses by way of "Sorry no refund as it's your own fault, we warned you it was RCE when you bought it". It's just easier for them to list every disc from CT as RCE than it is to try and get the info before it's released.

Was it any good? Hmm...depends on your taste. It was a bit slow for me, it wasn't bad but The X Files can do pretty much the same story better in 45 minutes. I'm no airhead though:clown:
It was certainly stylish, and the sound was well used. The soundtrack was the best thing about it though, atmospheric, ambient stuff from tomandandy, Biosphere, Low etc that kept me locked into the film when I may well have given up otherwise.

Like I said, it's not bad but it didn't blow me away. My girlfriend liked it though.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up!

Perhaps i'll wait 'til it comes on sky or ends up in hmv's bargain bin!

Matt

R1 Hollow Man and Charlies Angels are both definitely RCE. You might want to try either of these.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom