Mothers Basement ceased trading

Discussion in 'Memorabilia & Collectible Figures' started by Inked, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,499
    For those waiting on orders or refunds from Mothers Basement, they seem to have disappeared from Facebook and Twitter now. May be worth trying to contact them tomorrow to see what's going on.

eBay page has been cleared of stock too. Doesn't look good.

2. Soundwave

Soundwave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    I seriously cannot believe how bad this has gotten, the thread on SSF is just bonkers.
    The sheer amount of people out of pocket for months & still waiting on items that have been in stock for weeks is just unbelievable & their tirade on concerned customers was just the start.
    I think it's the deleting of negative comments on FB that are getting to some people.

I hope it all turns out smoothly for people waiting, worrying times though.

Neil

3. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,499
    Looks like it's one less uk toy retailer to me, I think there will be a lot of people not receiving their figures or ever seeing refunds.

4. Soundwave

Soundwave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    Definitely.
    Just hope they used Credit Cards & Chargebacks are successful

Neil

5. Batman2

Batman2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,138
    Damn! Hope it's just temporary.
    I've got some preorders with them, but luckily on lay away with only a £5 deposit. I just need to see if they are closing down or what so I can order from elsewhere. Although just remembered I have one item fully paid for last year that I'm still waiting for.

6. Bigpig

Bigpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    omgz

So gald I got my Catwoman now. In the mood am in I would of spent my last dollar on a trip to their warehouse and would be walking out with baby under my arm.

On the other hand I feel for them my company I worked for was a big clothing retail company in N.Ireland that went bust. They had zero power over the past year just told to keep trading.

Not most excellent

7. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,499
    According to a post on the One Sixth Republic Facebook page Mothers Basement have ceased trading as of 9am due to financial difficulty

CONFIRMED by their own website.

While I feel truly sorry for the customers that are owed products/refunds, I have (as people may or may not be aware) always disliked MB from the minute they pitched up here trying to spam the boards, and contacting forum members via PM.

Always felt that they used lot of snide tactics, and it now seems to have bitten them on the arse.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  8. Batman2

Batman2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,138

:eek:

9. Batman2

Batman2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,138
    Well just stuck a claim in on Paypal for a refund from MB, however one item I paid for in full last June I can't seem to put a claim in for as it is over 45 days old. I have sent Paypal an email about that one and will see what happens.

10. Bigpig

Bigpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    Hope all goes well. Major bummer. Was it an expensive item? I notice ebay/paypal where changing that so it 30days after item has shipped instead of 45 days afterpayment

11. Batman2

Batman2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,138
    It was not Hot Toys expensive but was £55 for a Diamond Select Star Trek Enterprise D ship.

Well just placed all my pre-orders again, this time with Amazon UK as they now seem to have the items on pre-order unlike before and the price is similar.

I feel sorry for people who had been complaining for a while now on there site and they had expensive items like HT 89 Batmobile & HT Hulk on order, they will also have lost all there points they had accumulated towards future purchases.

12. Soundwave

Soundwave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    I'm afraid you won't get anywhere with Paypal for the item over 45 days old.
    They will not do anything as they see 45 days as ample time to receive any goods & if not a claim should be filed before then.

Only hope is if your bank will do anything.

Sorry to hear about the issues buddy...hope you get things sorted

Neil

13. Batman2

Batman2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,138
    Cheers Neil, just glad it was nothing very expensive, but it's never nice to have a loss.

14. GOLFATHER76

GOLFATHER76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Guys

I have pre ordered batman deluxe model from MB in July 2013 & paying by PayPal in instalments, Today i found out that company cease trading from today & i lost £340 :mad:.

PayPal can only refund me if i open a dispute in 45 days & every invoice gone to BM from my PayPal so i cant even go to my bank. is anything people can recommend to get my money back ?

is anyone here ordered anything from them ? really pis**d off :mad:

15. LazyDonkey

LazyDonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Mothers Backdoor obviously knew what was happening, as they became a Limited company on the 10/01/14 - I assume to protect their personal assets.
    They seemed to start out OK, but quickly began advertising everywhere, undercutting prices and trying to shaft the likes of OSB (who is awesome).

16. GOLFATHER76

GOLFATHER76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    My figure should have been delivered in December but then Kate from MB starting telling tales & making excuses, i bet they made good money on pre orders. last week she said she will refund me my money but nothing got all here emails saved but they are no good for me.

17. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
  18. Bigpig

Bigpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    omg this is horrible... feel really lucky now to get my catwoman from them now.

surly the admin company has to honor customer preorders and refund them before creditors can take their cut?

19. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,499
    Generally not, customers just become another creditor.

20. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Very sorry to hear this. I'm sure we'll get a lot more horror stories soon. This is the first time I've been on AVforums for years but I've been trying to get info about this. It's horrid!. Here's what I posted on The Statue Forums this morning via the thread there.... PS. I must admit I'm feeling a little better now I'm finding some people in the same boat. Early this morning I could not find anything... Anyway, here's my story.

(£299 they owe my mums CC. She placed an order on the 22nd of Jan, she talked to Kate asking about the Darth Vader Mythos statue. There was 2 in stock and was told 3 days to deliver. Then she got a call on Monday the 24th to say the 2 they had in stock were damaged but they had another one coming from the supplier in a day or 2 and not to worry. She was nice as pie and I talked to her as well as It was for me (I did not have an account with them but my mum did, and they were the only ones who had Vader in stock although I never did like them, the posts they made on FB were just not professional at times)

I can't get over how nice she was on the phone though.. She would have known then. I should have known better with all the problems they had over Christmas. But I? And I'm sure many others gave them the benefit of the doubt.

My mum has called the CC company and been told they are sending a dispute form, but said they can't say 100% if we will get refunded... This is the first time this has happened to us.... I read Kate was an ex cop as well someplace a few weeks ago. [​IMG]. Gutted.

Kate (owner) from MB could have just said to my mum that day on facebook they had none is stock and that would have been that. But she took our money.. No they STOLE IT plain and simple. I hope they get everything they deserve!... I hope my mum gets her money refunded. Or I'm £300 out of pocket for nothing [​IMG])

21. Soundwave

Soundwave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    Sorry to hear you're in the thick of it as well James.

Ask your mum to ring the CC company again & ask them it's an urgent situation & they should issue the dispute form via Email which should speed the process along.

A quick summery regarding chargebacks are here...

When can chargeback be used?
    Chargeback can be used in cases of goods not arriving, arriving damaged, arriving not as described, or where the merchant has ceased trading.

You can ask your card provider to try to claw back the money you paid or part of it using our template letter to make a chargeback claim.

If, for example, you ordered two items but only one arrived, you can ask for the money back on the item you didn't receive. But you can't claim back the cost of fixing a faulty item.

Chargeback doesn't mean there is joint liability on the card company. Claims must be addressed to the bank that provides your debit or credit card, which in turn will put in a request to the merchant's bank.

As a result, you could get your money back from the merchant's bank if the money is there to be recovered.

But, there are no guarantees your bank will be able to recover the money through chargeback, or that the trader will accept that you were justified in taking the money back.

The trader could argue that you're in breach of contract for not paying.

Conditions of chargeback
    The main requirement for getting your money back through chargeback is evidence that there's been a breach of contract.

Time limit There is a time limit on chargeback claims - typically 120 days - which starts from the day you become aware of a problem. There is also an overall cut off point of 540 days for Visa chargeback. Therefore, your deadline for requesting a chargeback is 120 days from discovering you have a problem, or 540 days from the transaction date, whichever comes first.

Shop/online purchase In the case of tangible goods that you've purchased from a high street shop or an online retailer, the time limit on chargeback would start from the day you receive your items.

Flight purchase In the case of an airline going bust after you've booked a flight, the breach of contract would be from the day the flight was due to depart. However, if an airline had told you at an earlier date that the flight would not be going ahead, the breach of contract that allows for chargeback would not apply.

Template chargeback letter

[Your address]

[Debit/ Credit card company address]

Dear [customer services manager's name],

Claim under Visa Chargeback Scheme rules –

I am writing to you in connection with the purchase of [insert details] on [date] from [details of seller]. I enclose the following documentation which provides details of the transaction:

[List documents e.g. invoices, receipts, details of estimated delivery dates that you are submitting with the Chargeback claim.]

I paid for [insert details] using my [insert supplier name] [debit] [credit] card.

The total cost of [insert details] was [£xx].

In breach of contract [insert details of the problem – see our guide to Chargeback for details of what can and can't be claimed using Chargeback].

The transaction for the purchase of [insert details] was less than 120 days ago and accordingly, I am writing to request a refund of the above amounts under the Chargeback Scheme rules.

I look forward to your prompt response.

Yours sincerely,

HTH get some people moving along quickly??

Neil

22. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the tip. I'll tell her to do just that when I see her. Cheers.

23. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,499
    If it was bought on a CC the issuer of the card is jointly liable for any purchases over £100 and if they cannot recover the money from MB they have to reimburse you themselves under section 75 of the consumer credit act, so your mum/you should hopefully be fine.

24. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    @Soundwave

My mum has called the bank and been told they have nothing in place to do anything via email for this situation. That it has to be done by letter. A copy of all emails and such have to be given with the dispute form.... BTW the MB website is back up again. I was able to get screenshots to show that the order has still not been posted.... I find it funny that MB went on about how much they care about fellow collectors and that they were collector's also. Yet they have done this to people... I can't help but laugh now at the rant they gave on facebook about the company doing so well and offering to let people see documents of just that fact (I mean who does that? lol)... I must have been off my head to even think about ordering from they jokers. But they have been preying on the sickness that is collecting and baiting what they must see as total mugs. (I must admit. I am. Because the writing was on the wall for weeks with these guys and I still took a chance... I am a numpty there is no doubt. But they are common dirty little theives. (said in my very best gollum voice to the pc screen)

25. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Fingers crossed. This is all new to me. Thanks for the vote of confidence though. it's making my head hurt less... I pray things work out for everybody involved with this. I'll keep a close eye on this thread and others like it around the net.. Good luck all!!!!

26. Soundwave

Soundwave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    Bugger.

I was reading somewhere that someone had told them the refund was an urgent matter & they then issued Email docs, could be a Card issuer thing...some do, some don't

Shame

Website is currently fully live again with just the tiny message at the top of the page & it's not in bold or anything so I think they are hoping people won't notice & will still place orders.

Neil

27. Mat Brandford

Mat Brandford
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have spent the day trying to chase them down to get my money back and had my emails bounced back and got nowhere with my bank to begin with. However, after speaking to the fraud dept. of my bank I am now feeling much more positive. I've been told by contacting them quickly I have a 99% chance of getting my money back. Down side is I have to wait for some forms from the bank to arrive, fill them out, sign and return them. I wasn't promised it would be quick but it's worth taking the time before customers get lost behind larger trade debts they will surely have. Kate and Wayne were always too defensive for my liking when I enquired about release dates. I've been collecting for over 30 years still got sucked in to the cheap prices. For anyone feeling bad for them DON'T. They would have new this was coming months ago but were still happily taking our money for orders they knew could never be fulfilled. Also whilst I was on the phone with the bank the guy was as surprised as I was that although there was a statement saying they had ceased trading you could still order items. Whilst we watched our separate screens they removed the items in front of our eyes so they are there not answering calls or emails counting our money! Get on to your banks or card providers as they have shot themselves in the foot by quoting the Section 75 consumer credit act of 1974 on their site. Paypal is another matter, but still worth a try. I hope I bump into these fools one day at a comic con or somewhere to personally express myself through the media of my sport of choice, BOXING!

28. Fossal

Fossal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Last May used PayPal for 2 hot toys figures, saw the release dates kept getting pushed back, so last week I called them and changed 1 of the pre-orders to the hot wheels bat mobile which was supposed to be in stock like a fool I payed the extra £10 difference, first thing this morning I checked the site to see the bat mobile had been removed. Looks like I'm now been taken for £290.

They are based 6 miles away from me, I thought using a local company was the thing to do.

29. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think we all got sucked into the way they acted. Like your friend. And even when you knew you were in the right about making a fuss about something not getting sent out (Christmas was ridiculous) we gave them another chance (even when they made you feel like you were in the wrong for even asking them) because we all wanted them to succeed and they did offer good prices and shipped out fast and well packed when they were at the top of their game. I think what's hurting us collectors more is that they did not feel like a faceless website like say Amazon... But they felt like an online version of your local shop with friendly tone that made you feel like? Sure, everything will be fine when they told you as such. Turns out they were wolves in sheeps clothing.

Anyway. Best of luck Mat Brandford and Fossal. Please post any updates here on your situation good or bad.

30. Fossal

Fossal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As an advertiser/member on this site Mothers Basement might like to update us on the situation Before people make an opinion of you?