1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard with really fast boot?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Richard Harnwell, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yet another thing I'm researching for my upcoming DIGN case based HCPC is a new motherboard.

Windows XP home with a fast processor/disk/RAM seems to load pretty quickly, but I'm wondering if the choice of motherboard can have much of an effect on the pre-OS boot up time.

I realise I can do things like turning off the memory test & defining the type of IDE devices, but I'm interested if certain BIOS/motherboard combinations can zip through all that stuff quicker than others.

If not, I guess I should look at using Standby/Suspend type funtionality. Can anyone explain the difference between:

Standby
    Suspend to RAM
    Suspend to Disk

...and what would be the most appropriate for a quick HCPC start-up (I take it the motherboard has to support these)

2. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My Intel D850MV board has a very quick boot time. Ready to log on in about 25 seconds with WinME. I think the newer Intel boards have some kind of 'quick boot' facility.

I have NEVER managed to get a computer fully stable when using the STR or sleep mode or anything.