1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard with DVI out

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by cwinson, Mar 16, 2003.

1. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone come across a motherboard with in-built DVI out ?

I'm thinking of building an HTPC which will mainly be used for DVD playback and de-interlacing/scaling a Sky+ signal into my PJ (TW100). For these purposes, I won't be needing all the 3D capabilities of the top-notch graphics cards (e.g. Radeon), just the DVI out. Is this a correct assumption ?

Chris

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, not really. The graphics card is largely responsible for all the scaling/video processing etc...Everything you see goes through your graphics card.

So a good graphics card is a prerequesite. Radeon - obvious choice.

Software acceleration isn't as dependent on your GPU, but hardware acceleration is infinitely better.

Re: DVI.

I've never encountered a DVI equiped mainboard. Again, a Radeon card is recommended.

3. amordue

amordue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The DFI NB76-EA (P4 motherboard using integrated Intel845 for graphics) comes with DVI-out on a seperated card that goes into the agp slot. As kramer said its most likely going to be very poor at hardware overlay scaling whcih is what you'd want for playing dvds and video captured material.