1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard Upgrade

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by GJC, Jun 3, 2003.

1. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I recently purchased a Compaq 3350 from arhhh PCWorld!

Spec:
    ~P4 2.67ghz
    ~256 ddr ram pc2700 (added extra module of 512 ddr ram pc2700)
    ~naff g/card - 64mb (pci - I think) - this will be upgraded to a newer x8 agp ver very soon.
    Flat screen and some other bits......

I am unsure if my motherboard is x8Agp compatible - How can I check this on my Win XP operating system? I cant see anything in the BIOS or MSCONFIG??

I am think of changing the motherboard to a x8agp version so that any new graphics card I get will be utilised to its maximum potential. Can I simply pop a new one in and plug all my peripherals back in.?? Or is it more complex?

Is it worth doing for the x8 agp over the x4 agp?

Thanks,

GJC

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,042
    If you are just going to swap your motherboard just to get 8* on future graphic card, I personally would not go there.
    I do not think it will give you that much of a fantastic boost to your speed. Also be time you get round to getting a new card the MB you would have now got will be lower in price or better ones for the price out with newer features so I would get them at the same time, definitely do not get the MB before the card.
    Oh and a 8* card will still run on a 4*agp MB.

No doubt I will be corrected if this is wrong information.:suicide: :laugh:

By the way what is your MB I may be able to look it up for you.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,042
    As to plopping a new one in you may have to alter some dip and jumper switches for voltage, frequency and multipliers and make sure the board will accept you old memory, and CPU.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I agree - I wouldn't change a motherboard just to get 8x AGP. You state that the graphics card is PCI - I can almost certainly say that it won't be PCI they just don't do PCI graphics cards on new computers these days. It could be an onboard (built in) graphics chip but this would still be AGP. If it is on-board you have to check whether there is an AGP slot as well.
    AGP 8x is more of a marketing ploy than an actual benefit - it gives negligable speed increase, and as Garrett says you can still run an AGP 8x card in an AGP 4x slot.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I've just looked at the system specs and it has a Geforce4 MX420 (64MB) graphics card which is an AGP card. This is a reasonable entry level 3D graphics card and you should be able to upgrade this for a much better one with very little messing. If the computer is still in warranty it is worth contacting PC World to ask if it's OK to open it up and replace the graphics card.

6. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Garrett,

Unfortunately I couldnt located the Brand/Model of the Motherboard? (I popped the side panel off too and couldnt see anything) - I am not to bothered with the warranty seal as I purchased a 512 ram upgrade from them and put that in the other day. - I will give the motherboard upgrade a miss then and look at getting a new graphics card. - I have a £150ish budget for this and have seen a Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb that looks tasty...? (THANKS for the advice)

---

JohnG,

Your correct its Agp - I had a look last night

Thanks.

GJC