1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard S/PDIF out sufficiant?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Vila, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    For a HTPC is using the Motherboards built in S/PDIF out (connected to a 5.1 amp) going to give me satisfactory quality? (Because its all digital)

Looked at cards like the sound blaster lives but didnt see anypoint because

I have no interest in 6 channel analogue out from the pc, I'll be using a DD/DTS amp

Nor in surround sound gaming

And am assuming regular stereo audio (for mp3s etc) will still come out of the motherboards s/pdif....

That all said i thought i better ask here in case everyone thinks it a much better idea to spend more of my none existant cash on some expensive sound card :rolleyes:

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The motherboard spdif is sufficent for dd/dts passthrough, you'll possibly find it lacking for normal stereo because music will be resampled by windows kmixer.

For entry level decent stereo performance you need a card such as the maudio revo which allows you to bypass the kmixer with the correct software. It depends on what level you are trying to attain to. Try the spdif and see if you find it acceptable.

3. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    JohnS is quite right. Passthrough is fine through an onboard S\Pdif.

4. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Forgive me for hijacking your thread ( :blush: ), but since my question is slightly related I thought i'd jump on in ;)

I have S/PDIF out on my mobo and have it connected to my amp via digital coax. I haven't yet had the chance to test a DVD but is any additional internal wiring required for me to get DD/DTS? (i.e. A cable from the digital output on my DVD drive to the digital header on the mobo?!) I can playback audio from Windows Media Player etc. perfectly but clearly this is only in stereo. I briefly entered the speaker setup section in the audio settings but was unable to get a test tone through my centre/rear/sub channels - only front left and right :rolleyes:

How to I go about configuring the output for 5.1?

Kelvin.

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No additional wiring, its just a case of setting the dvd software to output via the digital out and maybe configure the soundcard to pass it through.

7. _Sin

_Sin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just my tuppence worth - in theory on-board should be fine for pass-through, but in my experience it isn't always. I found that my particular board could not deliver a signal which my amp liked without a lot of tweaking - and even then I got significant errors creeping in. This applied to both internally mixed sound, and direct output from a digital source. In the end I had to get a USB based sound solution and this has worked flawlessly ever since.

I'm assuming that either the output from the PC has too much jitter and my amp is being a bit precious (it is rather long in the tooth) or that the onboard audio was too prone to interruption by other activity (though even with the machine idle it didn't work correctly, so I doubt this...)

Give it a try before spending more on extra hardware, just don't be too surprised if it doesn't work properly...

YMMV.