1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard Q. can I use onboard graphics?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by mike.hutch, Mar 14, 2003.

1. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all,

I'm new to this HTPC lark, and I'm just at the planning stage of my system. I intend to use ut just for playing DVD's and music, and surfing the net.

I'm looking at THIS motherboard, which has integrated Nvidia GeForce 2 graphics, will this be good enough to get a decent display on my Tosh plasma?

Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

2. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, the asus a7n266-vm is a great board and although starting to show it's age is very stable and a good value choice. It'll support up to an XP2400 and although only needs DDR266 RAM will run with faster DDR333 (keeping your options open if you plan to upgrade the board at a later date).

Significantly the onboard graphics is supported by Powerstrip so you can tweak the resolution to match your plasma if needed. Don't expect great 3D performance though - for that I'd suggest an upgrade to Radeon 9000 (the Sapphire one doesn't use a fan) or higher.

Cheers, Phil

3. mike.hutch

mike.hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the info, is the Radeon 9000 available as a half height card? the case I'm looking at will not take a full height one.