Motherboard Help

GuyScissorhands

Standard Member
Pretty new to upgrading a PC, was looking at new processor's to upgrade my Pentium 4 HT. How do you start the process? I take it you need a compatible motherboard. I was thinking of going up to one of the Intel Core 2 Quad's. Is this possible on a i925X chipset? Or do I need to look at something else?

Cheers ;D

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It looks like the i925X doesn't generally support 1066Mhz FSB, although without knowing your particular motherboard it's impossible to say for sure.

CPU-Z should be able to tell you your motherboard model.

If your motherboard doesn't support it then you'll need to make sure everything that plugs into the motherboard like your memory, hard drives and graphics card will all be compatible with you new motherboard. This isn't too hard, you just need to know whether your memory is DDR or DDR2, how many IDE devices you've got (many recent motherboards only support 2) and whether your graphics card is AGP or PCI-E.

Time

Novice Member
Intel for some reason has been 'kind' enough to keep the same socket since the Pentium 4 days but because they introduced new voltage regulation and front side bus requirements with each new processor the end result is that their motherboards are backwards compatible meaning you can put an old CPU into a new MB but not a new CPU into an old MB. That's useful :rolleyes: .

Fancy going AMD?

QuadPimp

Standard Member
Asus P5K-E, motherboard and a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Socket 775 2.40 GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB Quad Core - GO Stepping CPU. Both can be had for less than £200. I have a friend that runs both of these in one of his systems with the CPU overclocked @ 3.2ghz on air. He has an 8800 GTS G/Card and 2GB DDR2,not sure which, and he hits over 14500 in 3DMARK 06. Which unless you are spending silly money on a system is very respectable.

Moderator comment: Font and size tags removed to make it easier to read

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom