Question Motherboard dead, using it as an excuse to upgrade.. please advise :)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by nero0410, Aug 12, 2017.

1. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,676
    Long time since I posted in this section.. did you miss me? ;)

So, my motherboad decided to die and I'm off to the shop about 11 tomorrow (Saturday) to get them to order some bits for me.

As for use, I use it for everything! I have a freesat card in there for PVR, Gaming of course (1080p but might move up a little higher when I get a new GPU), Video and Music Production, Photo editing, Graphic Design.... and of course solitaire!
    (That thing about solitaire.. that was a lie :p )

My current rig is:
    • Win10 64bit - Keeping
    • Asus Maximus VII Ranger Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
    • Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz - Selling
    • MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming Edition 4GB- Keeping
    • Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200C11 2400MHz - Selling (Or may put in another system or laptop if it fits)
    • TBS6982 DVB-S2- Keeping
    • 24" LG 1080p LED- Keeping
    • 6TB Internal storage & SSD - Keeping
    • Focusrite 2i4 Audio Interface for sound, mic and guitar!

I have looked about for some sort of top end boards with the 1150 socket, and there are barely any about as good as the Maximus VII Ranger, so I'm going for an 1151 socket board.

I'm thinking of getting:
    • CPU - Intel i7 7700
    • Motherboard - Asus prime 250 pro or maybe a Asus ROG Strix Z270I Gaming, not too sure which would be best or if they are pretty much the same
    • Adata 16GB Gold 3000mhz RAM (maybe 32GB if I can afford it!) I do a lot of video editing and use Pro Tools 12 for music production that can get pretty hefty on the memory.
    • Either Coolermaster or NZXT to watercool the CPU as intel seems to run warmer than AMD chips
    Questions
    • What do you guys think of the above 4 items?
    • Stay intel or go AMD route?
    • If AMD route, any recommendations?
    • Any other suggestions?

Cheers guys, hope to hear from you tonight or before I head off in the morning!
    (Around 11)

Tris.

PS: I'll be getting a GTX1070 or GTX1080 for Christmas this year I think ;)

2. Eddy555

Eddy555
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,340
    If I was you I'd go for AMD Ryzen. You'll get big benefits in your other work, and the difference in gaming is small from Intel. I couldn't give you a recommendation on a board, but Ryzen does befit from fast memory

3. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    For all your needs , i would go AMD too. might not the higher clock speeds as you can get from Intel , but for your work loads, more cores the better.
    1700x or the 1800/x the later been more expensive , but you can OC the 1700x to some were near the 1800 ( with a decent cooler ) and save your self a good few quid .
    Mobo the X370 or the B350
    Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen CROSSHAIR VI HERO X370 ATX Motherboard
    or you can go all out with the threadripper line up , but that is costly, 1920x at £800 or the 1950x at a £1000 .

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  4. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,676
    Thanks guys, looks like the AMD route for me then :)

Just looking at a couple of 1700 chips, one is £359 the other £289 and the only difference I see is a .10 on the clock speed?

AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 1700 3.70GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail

AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 1700X 3.80GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail

Which would you go for out of the Rog or Prims Motherboard?

Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Asus Prime X370-Pro AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Can't afford the threadtripper, damn. Looks good though!

Any ram suggestions (16GB-32GB May have to get one stick of 16 then get another later)?

tris

5. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    As you can see the only difference is the .10 on the CPUs but if you want you can over clock the 1700 to match the 1700x and thus will save you a load of cash , or you can buy the 1700x and over clock that to roughly match the 1800 .
    i recommended the crosshair VI hero as that is the one that most of the youtubers use (jay , Linus , Paul and Kyle ) , which was give to them by AMD on launch date
    the only thing that stands out to me is the PCIe slot , the crosshair has 3x16 but the prime only has 2x16 and the other one been a 1x8
    i guess there will a few other things too , but do you need a mobo with 3x16 PCIe slot ?

6. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    @nero0410 the 1700x does not have the cooler so you will need to buy a one of them too .

7. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,676
    I'm going to be getting a 1070 or 1080 for christmas so I'd take advantage of a 3x16 slot with that I'd imagine.

I was thinking the Crosshair might be the better board as it's quite expandable too with 4 memory slots that may come in handy in the future.

Regarding the cooler, I was going to go with a watercooling block (gel filled I think they are with fan).. which I have never had, any recommendations there would be great! I'll just go for the cheaper of the chips if thats the case, £70 for .10 wouldn't even be noticable.

IT's all quite alien to me now, I've not built a system for some time so its easy to get lost.

8. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Gel filled cpu block ? haven't herd or seen these , got a link ?
    the nzxt kraken x62 are compatible ( which has the AM4 bracket but that is 280 rad , so you will need to make sure it will fit in your case )
    the corsair h100i v2 work as well but im unsure if there have the am4 brackets in the box .

Corsair releases socket AM4 compatibility info | Cases & Cooling | OC3D News
    you might have to purchase one .

EDIT the nzxt kracken x52 is a 240 rad and am4 compatible

9. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
  10. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  11. Stretlow

Stretlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Echo what others have said here, if your in for a new chip and board at the moment i'd get the 1700 and a cross hair 6.

I "think" lintels response to these is due out (new i7) however i read its $200+ dearer

12. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    If this question had been asked at the beginning of the year, Intel would be top of the pile, (AMD chips sucked and had done for about 10 years or so) however, with the new Ryzen series AMD have got their Mojo back and are currently kicking the butt of Intel, (Just like they did in 00s) so is definitely the way to go. (The memory speed problems of early AMD chipsets have also been sorted, so you can really go for it)

Follow the suggestions in the above posts, (Not forgetting to wear a wrist strap when working on the build) and you should get yourself a cracker of a machine for reasonable cost.

Have fun

Bill

13. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,676
    Thanks very much for the advice guys, just got back from the shop and had the stuff ordered :smashin:Should be there tuesday morning, then all I have to do is take my rig in and he'll put it all together for me.. saves me having to do it this time round.

Sorry, not a gel block, I was getting confused there I think:facepalm:

I've gone for (These are links to the shops supplier):
    All together it came to £798, which is £30 less than Overclockers inclunding shipping. So I'm quite happy with the price overall, especially as he'll be building it up for me, saves me having to do it, and anything go's wrong he'll sort it :)

I don't usually overclock, so, everything should remain nice and cool even under heavy use. The system is on around 12-14+ per day, so I had to go for components that I think will last.

I'll be getting either GTX1070 or 1080 for christmas this year, I mat stick with Asus for the GPU or maybe EVGA, not sure yet.

Overall, this system should last me a good 5+ years with some luck (Definitely for Video & Music production, then it's dependent on games companies). I can add in another 16GB of ram at a later date too if need be since the Crossheir has 4 slots, that should account for the amount of tracks and effects I have going on in Pro Tools 12. I'm good with 16GB so far, but it can be a huge memory hog.

Thanks again guys, I'll let you know how it go's after I've been down to have it put together and spent a few hours on it :thumbsup:

tris

14. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    Get some pics up , i think this will be the second Ryzen build on here so far .

15. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    This has just come to mind :
    There was issue a while back with temps on the rysen cpu's , not sure if that has been address as of yet , but it was about +20c offset , so if you temps are higher than you think there should be it could down to this .
    i think the stock voltage is set too high changing this by reducing it will help sort it out .

i have a look and see if it's been sorted .

also ask the system builder to update to the latest bios of the mobo too while is on .

16. Stretlow

Stretlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Should be decent that mate, just curious as to why you went for the x370 over the B350? as far as i can see unless your going SLI then theres nothing in it... you wont get any less performance with the 370 of course but could have saved some pennies towards that 1080

17. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,676
    USB sockets matey, I need plenty on a main rig. Also the Crossheir Hero VI has a USB3 Type C socket, the newest one, which will come in very handy for me in the future. One, for moving large files fast, and two, even less lag than a normal usb 3 when laying down an electric guitar track ;)

On the gaming side, there may be a time when I manage to get my hands on a second 1070/1080 a couple years down the line.. I'd sli them then and upgrade to a 4k monitor. I always like to be prepared :)

tris

18. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,676
    The parts didn't turn up till after 4 this afternoon, so I'll update tomorrow :)

tris

19. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,689
    Selling the i7 on here [emoji2]

20. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,676
    @Delvey

Was thinking of taking it down to cex and trade it in then sell the voucher to a mate, as I don't have another intel board. Trade in price is pretty good at £193. It's this one:
    Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz (Devil's Canyon) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail
    Only got it in november 2014 so it's only about 2 and half years old, shame I couldn't get a decent board to put it in, well decent enough for me anyway.

If you fancy it I'll let it go to you for £185 including royal mail special delivery so it's covered. I'd have to set up a thread on the computing classifieds if your interested, as per the forum rules. Just let me know before 1pm/1300hrs tomorrow if you are and I can get that up on the classifieds tomorrow with some photos for you ;)

I still got the box and the stock fan.. haven't found the plastic thing though, must be around here somewhere. Remember to put some new thermal paste on it when installing :)

tris

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  21. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,676
    Photo's as promised :)

Ryzen 1700

20170816_144817 (Copy).jpg

Antec Mercury 120

20170816_154436 (Copy).jpg

From the side, and through the grill at the top

20170816_170456 (Copy).jpg 20170816_170628 (Copy).jpg

It certainly looks pretty, shame I can't see it since the pc is on the oher side of the room!

Not sure why I can't see the temps for the Ryzen whist in windows, even with everything expanded:

temps.JPG

Just gotta sell my old processor and memory now which I've had tested whilst there and work completely fine!

So far, so good.

tris

22. Stretlow

Stretlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Looks good that mate

23. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member