1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard and Graphics card help!

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by deadprez69, Aug 7, 2005.

1. deadprez69

deadprez69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I purchased a Dell computer last year which is the first computer I have owned so didn't know a great deal. The problem now is that I have got a shiny new case with better cooling (2 x 120mm fans) and realised that i didn't have a fan for the heatsink (just the case fan blowing on it using a green plastic tube thing). I have just got a socket 775 heatsink (arctic cooling freezer 7) but the Dell motherboard has different hole placement and it doesn't fit. :eek:

I have talked myself into getting a new motherboard to fit but not sure what to buy. I am thinking I should get a pci-e graphics card at the same time.

I don't mind spending £200ish if it will last me a year or so.

Mainly use computer for films and games and already have a audiophile 2496.
    Any advice would be much appreciated :smashin:

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Yes, Dell do have a funny way of doing things, but if your pc is not overheating I wouldn't worry about it too much....? What CPU temps are you getting, and are you sure that it is a socket 775 board and cpu?

A graphics card recommendation for films and gaming would be an nvidia 6600GT or better, like one of the 6800 series, use this in conjunction with the nvidia dvd codec for 'Pure Video' picture quality joy!

lisa

3. deadprez69

deadprez69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    When I first moved the computer it overheated and crashed. Since then (5 weeks now) it has been on its side with the original fan sat on the heatsink and it is fine. I have checked that it is a lga775 and as for temp I am only using the precise temp gauge that is my hand. I can't get any of the temp programmes to work, I read somewhere dell boards don't have sensors?

Any how thanks for the reply that looks like a good graphics card. :thumbsup: