Mother Of All Players!!!

"Mother of all Players"???

Don't think so. Does not do SACD or, more importantly, PAL PS. Also, only has 54MHz video DACS and no matched sound output.

I think the consensus is there is no one 'perfect' DVD player and this, IMHO, does not come close. There are better models out there from the likes of Toshiba and Denon. IMHO of course :D

Good link!

720p and 1080i ? Dream on guys; this is presently completely illegal under the DVD licencing rules and has no hope of being put on a player to be sold in North America or Europe, or probably Australia for that matter :) It may be OK locally in Korea however and I suspect that this is why it has been made - i.e. a flagship for the local market.

A general comment gentlemen - don't read too much into the number of bits and sampling rate of video DACs - this is absolutely not the whole story for video quality. It reminds me of the similar audio marketing wars in CD players a few years ago and bigger numbers do not always mean better.

John Dawson (Arcam)

Got mine last night. Picture is awesome. Both NTSC and PAL PS are as good as the NTSC PS on the Tosh SD900E (IMO).

Oh, and generally a nice player too. Only shame is it is not champagne colour to match rest of my AV rack and no fancy slide down panels :D

Notice in the documentation on the samsung it says copy protected dvds will out put at 480p and not 720p/1080i.
always read the small print and not the sales pitch.
however is future proofed when they get around to HD-dvd:suicide:

and most (99%+) are copy protected. :)

Originally posted by John Dawson
Good link!

720p and 1080i ? Dream on guys; this is presently completely illegal under the DVD licencing rules and has no hope of being put on a player to be sold in North America or Europe, or probably Australia for that matter :) It may be OK locally in Korea however and I suspect that this is why it has been made - i.e. a flagship for the local market.

So the Bravo D1 that outputs 720p / 1080i and has been on sale in the US for months is nothing more than a figment of someone's imagination then? :D

In that case this link must be a fake http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=287334

A direct link to the player FAQ (although server is down at time of posting :( ) http://www.vinc.com/support_faq.asp

C'mon John, you are behind the times here, this is old news.
Edit - oops, just noticed the date of your post. Take it you are up to speed now!

Paul

Blimey! Even Pioneer is getting in on the 720p act!

http://www.areadvd.de/news/2003/200309/03092003004.shtml (babelfish translation)

Pioneer: New DVD Player DV-868AVi and DV-668AV with hp mixing CCIT place
03.09.2003 (CR)

Pioneers DVD Player always offered much product value with their successful mixture from exzellenter picture and clay/tone quality as well as the various technical innovations for the money. There the new DV-868AVi does not make hp mixing CCIT place an exception owing to i.Link and. The likewise new DV-668AV without i.link concentrates with its hp mixing CCIT place completely on an optimal image quality.

Over the hp mixing CCIT place the new Pioneer Player transmits highly soluble graphic data and a 2-Kanal stereo clay/tone with 5 Gigabit per second over only one interwiring directly and absolutely loss-free to the screen. Multi-canal sound signals as well as highly soluble DVD audio and SACD of signals are conveyed over the i.LINK connection loss-free to the amplifier - beside the DV-868AVi also that is equipped for quite some time available Pioneer DV-757 with i.link already.

In order to be able to use the data transmission rate of the HDMI interface also optimally, the DV-868AVi accommodates a new chip with the designation "t-Rex". This chip takes over the function of a high speed video Scalers, which PAL of picture signals of 720 x projects 576 on highly soluble 1280 x of 720 pixels, whereby even conventional video material is revalued clearly.
All three models support DVD audio and SACD beside DVD video also and spend PAL progressive ones. The DV-757Ai is particularly recommended with its iLINK for the rendition of DVD audio and SACD material to interface.

The DV-668AV however is appropriate by its HDMI interface for highest image quality. The DV-868AVi as king model of this series, unites interface the best from both worlds, in equipment, which offers highest requirements with that to picture and tonwiedergabe with HDMI and iLINK. High-quality processed High ending series captivates also by a substantial processing with aluminum front plate. With its extras strengthened base plate reaches the DV-868AVi besides a weight, which guarantees a troublefree rendition with extreme vibrations. Both new DVD Player should be available starting from autumn, an exact price are not yet well-known.

Paul

as for the bravo player, selling at $179 ......its going to be pure quality isnt it LOL:eek:
u pays your money you get your goods
the pioneer one sounds ace. pioneer are also adding HD upscaling on the new plasmas as well probaly 720p but possibly higher.
christ i need more money and fast....here cometh the overtimeth:devil:

Originally posted by gandley
as for the bravo player, selling at $179 ......its going to be pure quality isnt it LOL:eek:

Well, this may come as a surprise to you but the Bravo actually has a superb DVI output, thats why everyone is trying to get hold of one - quality 720p/1080i output at a very reasonable price.

Quality does not necessarily equate to high prices. This one has been selling by the shedload to folks who are VERY critical and its been an eyeopener to those who have seen it in action.

Paul

Couldn't agree more with Paul on this one - the quality of the DVI signal on the Bravo/Momitsu/Brainwave players compared to much, much more expensive equipment was certainly a pretty sobering experience for me (i.e. it was at least as good as and if not better than players costing up to 15 to 10x as much) PROVIDED (i) you have a DVI/HDCP compatible screen/projector and (ii) there are no screen/projector and player compatibility issues...I am just really looking forward to seeing what the new Denon/Pioneer players can do.

I am most interested in getting one of these DVI players 'commuication' with my HD Leeza. Serious DVD potential second only to SDI.

Hi krl25sc,

You don't need a DVI-HDCP compatible display for the Bravo or the Brainwave/Momitsu V880. Only the Samsung HD931 (and 935 probably) will require a DVI-HDCP compatible display.

Steve

If i was to get a DVI board for my th-42pwd4bx panny plasma will these dvd players work & should the quality be better than prog scan via component.

I have a momitsu v880 player from hivizone.
I use it with an old davis projector outputting analog prog scan thru VGA.
This was a hugh improvment on s-video,BUT the reason most buy a DVI ouput
player is for the direct digital data.
So last night I took home works data projrctor optoma ep737 and conected via
DVI...................
I WAS COMPLEATLY BLOWN AWAY!!!!! PQ CHALK AND CHEESE,
Resolution at 720p 1280x720 BLOODY FANTASTIC PLAYER COST £240.0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom