Mother/Android (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Belzok

Distinguished Member
Watched it this evening and it just couldn't keep my attention.

I would say sub 5/10 for me.

sebna

Watched it this evening and it just couldn't keep my attention.

I would say sub 5/10 for me.

We also have watched it today. What a waste of time. 2.5 / 10. Streaming is killing movies (I am talking about streaming platforms making movies). Too much money and no idea what to do with it - this is how 90% of attempts can be described.

I hope that eventually the standards will rise. Hopefully before this current low standard would become the new standard going forward.

Gambit1977

Had really high hopes for this, I like Chloe Grace Moretz but boy does she pick some stinkers. This was rancid dog poop. I’d maybe even only give a 2. Those hoping the ending might at least redeem it….don’t bother.

big boss

We also have watched it today. What a waste of time. 2.5 / 10. Streaming is killing movies (I am talking about streaming platforms making movies). Too much money and no idea what to do with it - this is how 90% of attempts can be described.

I hope that eventually the standards will rise. Hopefully before this current low standard would become the new standard going forward.
That's typical for the film industry in general, not just streaming platforms. Streaming platforms are no different.

Slinkywizard

Alternative title: Raised Black Levels — The Movie

I had to set my black levels to minus 16 on my Lumagen to reach actual blacks, making this otherwise boring movie a record holder at least.

Kotatsu Neko

Alternative title: Raised Black Levels — The Movie

I had to set my black levels to minus 16 on my Lumagen to reach actual blacks, making this otherwise boring movie a record holder at least.

This is such a weird trend in grading lately. We finally have TVs which can give us beautiful deep blacks and Hollywood responds by cranking up the black floor.

It defies logic and taste.

Davyb100

Good review Tom, was going to watch this last night and changed my mind, wisely by the sounds of it. (I put the 4k disc of Halloween on instead). Think I’ll give it a miss now and watch I, Robot again instead.

I agree, most of the films produced by the streaming services are a big let down, particularly given some of the talent involved. Far more misses than hits.

I think the last few years in general have been pretty poor in regards to the quality of new film releases and I suspect the pandemic hasn’t helped. Only good thing about it though is it’s giving us a chance to go and revisit some classic older films as the quality of some of the 4k disc releases of late has been excellent and there are already some crackers to look forward to over the next few months. Really looking forward to Robocop, American Werewolf in London and Dog Soldiers.

stranger

EDIT:
It baffles me at how good Netflix are at producing documentaries and series and are so bad at producing good films.

Last edited:

sebna

It baffles me at how good Netflix are at producing documentaries and are so bad at producing good films.
Can you list few that you rate? I tried 2 or 3 and those were more like biased realty shows rather than documentaries and I have given up.

Documentaries are one of my favourite type of television so I would love to discover new good ones.

Thanks

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Had really high hopes for this, I like Chloe Grace Moretz but boy does she pick some stinkers. This was rancid dog poop. I’d maybe even only give a 2. Those hoping the ending might at least redeem it….don’t bother.
Think she had real promise back in the old days but everything she’s in now seems to be a steaming pile of poo.

When I saw this pop up yesterday I feared the worse and this thread just confirms it.

NyarlaThoTep

Distinguished Member
Think she had real promise back in the old days but everything she’s in now seems to be a steaming pile of poo.
Was thinking about this the other day, so had a scan through her imdb list.

Was surprised to discover she’s only really been in 2 or 3 reasonable movies … she then presumably hired Bruce Willis’ agent :/

Xenomorph

Switched it off half way through as it was boring me and I had better things to do with my time.

Xenomorph

It baffles me at how good Netflix are at producing documentaries and are so bad at producing good films.

Agreed their films are generally a let down. Might give up bothering with them. The TV series also seem to be better, there have been some good ones.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Not that I'm necessarily arguing that Netflix make some truly middle of the road nonsense, it might be worth a notice that this one isn't actually a Netflix original.

NyarlaThoTep

Distinguished Member
Not that I'm necessarily arguing that Netflix make some truly middle of the road nonsense, it might be worth a notice that this one isn't actually a Netflix original.
That may actually be worse.
It means some netflix exec has sat down, watched the movie, and thought ‘hmm yes, we totally need to buy that one immediately - … plus it’ll go great with “Cats”’…

Here’s a thought - what if Netflix isn’t run by execs at all though?… perhaps it’s run solely by a mad AI that is now in a death spiral - as it was told to buy stuff based on user ratings for other netflix movies 😥

DLPMaybe

the whole Boston emp part of the movie was terrible. Made zero sense why she needed to press the button, that the android somehow got there after her. That the group of androids were held back by her.

I think I was also meant to care that she had to give up the baby.

keithwiggins

stranger

Can you list few that you rate? I tried 2 or 3 and those were more like biased realty shows rather than documentaries and I have given up.

Documentaries are one of my favourite type of television so I would love to discover new good ones.

Thanks
I have edited my post to include 'Series' (which I actually meant to write originally :facepalm:. but I will peruse the documentaries I've seen and enjoyed when I have more time.

rustyk21

When I skim read through your comment I read "attempts" as "armpits". Sounds like it was quite apt, as this is a bit of a stinker by all accounts.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom